Skip to main content
Topic: no start (Read 6858 times) previous topic - next topic

no start

I am to lazy to go back a page and pull back up the good gas and good spark thingy. Okay I have broken down and decided to tell you everything that I did. My car ran ultra rich because my map sensor didnt have the vaspooge line connected.

I recentally had to change out a vaspooge hose on my map sensor that went to the underside of my upper intake. I had to take it off, I guess my hands are too big to fit in there. So I put it back together and it still wont start. I have been having issues with my battery, but that is fixed now. I dont have any way to check if I have good spark, But I do have spark. I know that I am getting gas. I have checked my spark plugs and they all look good. My wires are practically new. I tried starting fluid with no change. I unplugged the map sensor vaspoogee line thinking that might be why, but no change. I unpluged the battery for a long time to clear it out but no change. could there be a bad wire or something just unplugged? I need this car on the road, I hate getting up for the bus at 5:30 am and then not starting school until 9:30. all that I can do is sit on the floor at the school until school starts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: no start

Reply #1
I really need this car, any suggestion of what to check would be cool
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #2
try pulling the spout connector then starting it

run codes  paper clip method will work if you got a CEL

after that it is: test fuel pressure ..... check injector  for pulse....  check spark .  Unfortunately  the things needed to test fuel and spark you probably don't have available

Reply #3
Well first take the ignition module off and take it to your local AutoZone and have them test it.  These can cause all kinds of problems.  What makes you think you have spark?  Does the car spit and sputter or does it just crank?  Pull the cap of the distributer and make sure the button in the center is still there and not broken away.  I've seen this cause cars not to run before.  What makes you think you are getting gas.  If you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump kick on for two seconds and stop?  Have you tested for fuel pressure on the rail?
One 88

Reply #4
Quote from: CougarSE
Well first take the ignition module off and take it to your local AutoZone and have them test it.  These can cause all kinds of problems.  What makes you think you have spark?  Does the car spit and sputter or does it just crank?  Pull the cap of the distributer and make sure the button in the center is still there and not broken away.  I've seen this cause cars not to run before.  What makes you think you are getting gas.  If you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump kick on for two seconds and stop?  Have you tested for fuel pressure on the rail?

its sefi, it will crank but it dosent spit ot anything, it dosent even try. I only know I have spark because I put a timing light on the wires, just to make sure that I was getting spark. The distributor is new. I know that I am getting gas because I can smell it and I have pulled out a spark plug after with gas on it. Also starting fluid dosent seem to change anthing. I dont have anything to test fuel pressure right now. I think that it has more to do with bad spark or ignition. Thanks for the reply's
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
based on kinda speculative diagnosis if you can smell gas lets eliminate it.  Could very well be tfi.  New dist kinda eliminates stator.

did you pull codes?  try it without the SPOUT in place?

Reply #6
It seems to be spark related, because the starting fluid should have made it at least sputter if there was spark. Could very well be the tfi. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
Has it run since you replaced the distributor? 180 degrees out?
Did you check the timing? Chain could have jumped over a tooth.

Reply #8
I hope that it isnt the timing skipping a tooth, It might be because the car has almost 200,000 miles without a rebuild or anything. What is this spout thing that everyone is talking about? just a breif explanation would do. The distributor isnt brand new, by new I mean about a year.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #9
I don´t know what is the SPOUT, but since i have a electrical problem i do some research and find this diagram. I want to know what it´s that , too.....

Maybe this help a little.....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #10
What is this spout thing
SPark OUT.
With it plugged in, the computer controls and varies the timing.
With it unplugged, timing is locked at "base", whatever that may be on your particular engine. Usually 10deg BTDC, or wherever you have your distributor pointing.

Here's the jumper plug:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #11
I will go ahead and try unplugging that, I went out to get the code reader out of my Dad's crown vic, but I broke off the key in the door after it unlocked, and then realized that the glove box is locked. You would think that taking out all of the screws at the bottom that hold the glove box in would pop it out.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
I pulled codes 21 23 24 82
this is what my booklet tells me that they are.
21 engine coolant tempature out of range or not at normal operating tempature or edis fault problems with crankshaft postion sensor
23 throttle position sensor signal voltage out of self test specification
24 air charge temperature sensor or vane air tempature signal voltage is out of specification. or not at normal levels or edis fault faulure in coil 1 primary curcuit
82 thermactor air bypass solenoid curcuit failure or elctrodrive fan curcuit failure or super charger bypass solenoid failure.
okay I think I can trow out code 21 because I dont had edis and my car wasent running(obviously) I could change out my trottle position sensor(code 23) what would I have to fix for code 24, and 82?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
okay now I know that I am not gettin g enough spark. The timing light is only lighting up like once every couple of seconds.(its on the coil wire)
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
Unplugging the spout is like unplugging the vaspoogee line back in the day....
One 88