Skip to main content
Topic: Teaser on one of my current projects.. (Read 4691 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Teaser on one of my current projects..

Reply #15
Didn't they use the higher rate only because where they could fit the spring to the leverage of the arm?

James

Reply #16
Yup.  Since they had to make them a direct swap for a stick axle...the spring perches in the body had to remain the same.  They are in a LOUSY location.  The rear spring rates are close to that of the front.  That's why all the parts associated with them are so heavy and overbuilt.  Aftermarket rear springs are even heavier....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #17
Coilover would be the best route as you already know. I had an idea of welding the subrame to the car to make it as one but I don't know if I can access everything when it is in there permenately.

James

Reply #18
you bring up a good point chuck, i was looking into that cobra IRS swap for a fox and thats one of the major things i didnt like about it, cauzing everything to be so bulky and comprimized. id like to look into what your makeing now, for a future car im planning on building.

Reply #19
We're not going to weld the subframe into the car, it will be bolted.  We are also looking at coil-overs as well.  Our control arms are going to be stout though.

We're more worried about what we want out of this and not neccessarily the profitable prospects of it.  We're aware that they might be there, but that is a secondary concern.

Reply #20
Nate I'am still going to put the IRS in and see how it does. From talking to people who have an IRS Cobra, they said it has a far better ride qualtiy then the solid axle. If I don't like it I will go back to the solid axle and get a watts link.

James

Reply #21
We're more worried about what we want out of this and not neccessarily the profitable prospects of it.

Now if only we could get some engineers at Ford (and GM) thinking like that...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
The thing is..engnieers do think like that..but they rarely are the ones who get to call the final shots....