Skip to main content
Topic: solid all metal motor mounts for cougar (Read 1727 times) previous topic - next topic

solid all metal motor mounts for cougar

anyone have any clue if there a company that makes them for tbird/cougars? this morning i spilled my bare block(with oil pan) in my car with the stock rubber mounts just to line everything up. i sat my victor jr on top with the carb and elbow for the turbo plumbing. weellll, i need to drop the motor a tad bit because i don't want a giant 6 inch cowl hood :wtf: . i know the moroso mount for a mstang won't work because i tryed them on my tbird. if i have to, i'll have to make a pair:hick: .

any insight is a huge help.. i'd like to have my motor in and running within the next 2 weeks. :D

Reply #1
you're going to have to make your own...I already asked Chuck about it...no real interest in solid mounts.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #2
baaah, oh well.. i guess i'll just have to cut some plates and break out the welder again. lol

thanks

Reply #3
weellll, i need to drop the motor a tad bit because i don't want a giant 6 inch cowl hood  . i know the moroso mount for a mstang won't work because i tryed them on my tbird.
making them would still be cheaper than buying and installing another K-member from a Mustang, just to use their mounts. It's adding the rubber to them, that makes them pricey, but that's where Chuck comes in handy...he's done the work for you. IMO.
1987 TC

Reply #4
true.. although i'd love to throw a tubular k-member under there with new control arms and all that BS, it'll have to wait until winter when the motor comes out for freshening and painting the engine bay. for this year i'll just fab up some decent plates out of these steel plates i have laying around. I'll tack them together with my welder and have someone tig weld them for a little extra strength.

Reply #5
You don't need to TIG weld them as long as you lay a nice hot little bead of weld with the MIG.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Reply #6
yeah but the tank for my welder is empty.. ran out while i was redoing the exhaust on my bronco :disappoin and i'm too lazy to get another. I know someone who will more than likely do it for the cost of the wire.. sooo what the hell, haha

Reply #7
In that case, go for it!  I was noticing in your sig that you'e going to be using a C6?!  You'd be better off with either a C4 or using a C6 input shaft in the Aod...I think 5.8fastcat built one on the cheap that way...may have been somebody else, can't remember.

Either way, good luck with it!

-Don

Reply #8
i've been debating on going with a worked C4 because i had a hell of a time with the C6 in my tbird.. i may even go with a powerglide if i come across 1 :D

thanks.. i'm going to need it!

if i get this turbo coupe from cougarman.. i think the cougar is going to go into hibernation while i build the turbo 306 for the tbird instead :D

Reply #9
Either way it should be a pretty wicked set-up...sideways at 60mph shouldn't be a problem...lol.

Reply #10
hell, the guy dennis i know.. his nova, good god, i don't think there's anyone who wouldn't appreciate that car.. he was crusing down the highway at 70, nailed it.. that turbo spooled right up and he was sideways

i hope my car is at least 1/2 as nasty as his was :hick:

Reply #11
Why do you need solid?

You won't hurt my mounts...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #12
solid mounts will sit a lot lower than 1's with the rubber. when i had everything sitting in the car this morning, the intake elbow that bolts to the carb was sticking up too high, pushing the hood up 6 inches. i measured and popped the rubber off my stock mounts and sat it back in the car and i gain 2 3/4-3 inches back. i don't think a tbird/cougar would look right with a 6 inch cowl hood, haha.

Reply #13
Just dropping the mounts wont solve your issue. Youll create another issue that way. Lowering the engine will pick the tailshaft of the transmission up, and give you some god aweful driveshaft angles.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
Is there actually 3" of clearance between the oil pan and the K-member?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon