Skip to main content
Topic: Got to love OBDII (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

Got to love OBDII

Haha, just passed emissions without a single emmisions part on my car.  That's right, no EGR, AIR or Cats.  And I owe it all to OBDII and the wonderful program HPTuners.  Buddy hooked me up and deleted the trouble codes for those parts when I removed them.  I was skeptical, but hell, when the people at the emmisions place are only doing the Gas Cap part of the visual inspection, I realized I was home free.  So much easier than the T-bird.  Although one time, I had this nasty exhaust leak in my y pipe, so when they did the sniffer test on the thing, the guy was like, wow, the car smells horrible, but it had really low emmisions, I was like "Oh, yeah, it has a bad valve cover gasket, and is burnin oil"  He was like ahhh, that'd do it.  Haha, I'm pretty sure you don't have to have any knowledge of cars at all to work at one of those places.

Got to love OBDII

Reply #1
WOW maybe ill get lucky with mine and they wont see the air lines to the h are gone
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Got to love OBDII

Reply #2
I hate emissions. Enough said.

Glad you got your TA through okay.

Got to love OBDII

Reply #3
In Illinois if your car is older than the 95 model year they don't test it. So unless you have OBD II you're home free. All my emissions stuff but the EGR and cats is off my car. The cats will be gone soon though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Got to love OBDII

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;149436
In Illinois if your car is older than the 95 model year they don't test it. So unless you have OBD II you're home free. All my emissions stuff but the EGR and cats is off my car. The cats will be gone soon though.

The older the car here, the worse off you are it seems.  You can get historic vehicle plates that exempt you from emissions, but a buddy who was looking into getting them for his Stang said you're only allowed to drive 1000 miles a year with a car that has them.

Got to love OBDII

Reply #5
Quote from: DakotaEpic;149402
  Haha, I'm pretty sure you don't have to have any knowledge of cars at all to work at one of those places.

There was an article in the paper about one of the emission testing sites here. A guy took his Delorean in to have the emission check done, and passed all except for the gas cap. Ordered a new one, took the new one in the bag with the receipt back to the testing site, they had him put it on, checked it and it still failed. Left, went to a different testing site, and the guy at the new site told him his car was exempt from that test because they didn't have equipment that would properly seal around the gas cap. So after all this the guy was stuck paying $65 for a gas cap he didn't need and couldn't return, plus he had to pay for the testing.

I'm just glad the county I live in doesn't require emission testing. The county I work in does, and the line between the two counties is at the edge of my backyard. This way I am as close to work as I can be, but am not required to do the tests. I have no emissions  left on my car.

Got to love OBDII

Reply #6
The good thing about living in the country of PA is there is only a Visual inspection. The car has to look like the emissions work, catalytic converters could be gutted they just have to be there and look like they work.