Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone into NASCAR? (Read 4742 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #15
bill elliot was my favorite driver, until he retired. i started rooting for him in the early 80's, before he became popular, because he was one of the few ford drivers in the field, and about the only one that ran towards the front on a regular basis.

as for racing, i am a fan of the sport regardless of form with one exception, demolition derby.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

yeah though i drive through the valley of rice

i shall fear no turbo for torque art with me

thy rod and thy piston they comfort me

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #16
well just to let you in on how much i enjoy NASCAR, i went to NASCAR Technical Instetute.  im prolly the only person here that has a nascar tech parking sticker in the windshield of my bird.  im set to rock and roll to griffin tech (ga) b/c i couldnt afford living in NC goin to that school.  i eat, sleep and drool nascar.  i have one of the largest collections of nascar memorbilia that i could prolly make a couple grand on ebay if not more.  i have enough juicy old mint earnhardt sr stuff that would melt a earnheardt's FACE off.  you can call it this you can call it that, call it whatever you want.  stewart is calling nascar out by saying that they are trying to control the races by the "debree" cautions.  it might be happening it might not be.  mark my words, i'll make it to nascar, b/c if atlanta based on shane clanton from the home town track im from as well can make it to nascar, i sure as hell can and im going to school to build my own cars to climb the ladder.  its a 10 year plan since im only almost 22.

you know people can have thier opinions, and a lot to a lot of people stink.  but right now nascar is going through a phase and its sorta ruining this year.  its made this year interesting with the cot cars b/c its a boat compaired to the cotoday, but it'll come around.

earnhardt jr is leaving DEI at the end of the year, the grape vine says that he's ganna run for rcr (richard childress racing, same team sr died racing for) and is going to either run a budweiser select scheme, wrangler scheme, or even the gm goodwrench scheme with the number 3.

http://www.jayski.com  if you like nascar thats the site for you.  it has rumors basically about up coming events in nascar between nascar itself and individual car owners, teams and so forth.  they're long readers but they are profetic.  my first teacher at NTI was working on kyle petty's engine program, they were reaching for that 500 mark on a restrictor plate motor.  they sgot 515 or so, the next week he tells his sponsors the reason he's not running well is b/c his engine program.  his engine program was doing VERY VERY WELL. but he had to lie to his sponsor to cover up his lack of driving skills.  so my teacher from nti got shafted when he got fired.  thing was they all knew it was happending b/c they looked on jayski's site and 3 months before it was shut down it said pety were ganna shut them down.  they scratched they're heads sayin nah, never woul happen.  3 months later they're on the curb.

annnnyway.  nascar is an aquired taste just like open wheel racing.  i'd rather have fenders i can beat on the competition with than have nothing but procariously important things just sitting there for any juan pinball pablo montoya to bounce off of ruining your day.  and i hate watching f1 b/c its fallow the leader.  you rarely EVER see overtaking, where at a nascar race, there could be 3 or 4 lead changes a lap, on restrictor plate races, there could be 20 lead changes but only one counts and thats at the line.

i dont see cars going roundy round.  i've raced an oval in a pony stock car (rwd 4 banger no power adders) and my dad raced hobby and sportsman.  i know what to look for.  i see that guy getting loose off 4 before anyone notices it on tv or even if they notice it at all.  i see the lines they take, i can calculate in my head the chances of who's ganna pass who eventually in 10 laps by what line, speed and laptimes they're making.

its like being a turntablist, you gotta know what your doing, otherwise it seems boring or like a cat getting killed.

two weezy zone.

btw, nascar transmissions dont have helical gears cuts or syncronizers.  they have dog gears, or spur gears.  so in other words, if you have a nascar jasper or pretty much any nascar transmission, it'll have dog gears.  this means you cant put the clutch in and ride out the momentum of a car with a jasper spur gear transmission b/c each gear will not go into gear unless the clutch has been engaged and the gears rev matched.  in other words, when you come to a stop from 5th gear, you'd have to downshift through every gear to get to 1st.  it is not at alllllllllllll road friendly. also the engines want to run at higher rpms, so also they're not streetable either.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #17
Amen.  I'm a huge fan..........and if I didn't have any kind of commitments here when I made my choice in a school, I would have gone to NTI in a heartbeat and tried my edest to get on a team.  My dad's boss's son made it onto the pit crew of a Nextel team....I envy him......lucky SOB.....

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #18
I dislike NASCAR only because it sort of betrays its own namesake.  If I'm not mistaken, back in the day, the cars were actually very similar to the off-the-lot models a person could actually purchase.  Nowadays they're all tube chassis with a plastic body shell, only barely resembling the cars they're supposed to represent.  That's my only beef with NASCAR.  And no, I don't think they should actually be out there racing Ford Tauruses, that'd be.. well, slow.  I just can't get into NASCAR, I guess.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #19
I like NasCARS.

I HATE Nascar.

The only type of racing I like is in this order.

1. Drag Racing    Going to be Doing this more soon :]
2. Rally Racing    I might get into this in Colorado
3. 24 Hour Closed Circuit Racing  Haha I don't think I will ever actually do this myself
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #20
Quote from: kingcars;148092
Incredible ability at what? Wrecking people then crying about how it was their fault because they raced next to him for a lap? :flame:

I watch NASCAR, but I'm nowhere near as interested in it as I was when I was younger. My fav driver is Matt Kenseth.

Must be a Gordon fan in disguise.

Go back and watch the races again. If you race Tony clean, he'll give you all the room you need. Bump him and you can expect to get bumped back.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #21
Yeah, just like the 500 in 06 when Matt was up high on Tony and Tony got aero loose.  What did he do?  Sent Matt through the grass at 190mph and he almost got nailed in the driver's side door (translation:  Could've been a serious crash cause of his stupidity).  If you race Tony HARD, he gets all pissy and just wrecks whoever did it.  He expects the red carpet treatment.  Man I'll never forget that race...that was the biggest bs I've seen since the infamous duel between Earnhardt and Terry Labonte at Bristol many years ago...

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #22
UGH!!! :rolleyes:

n/m, I'll start a different thread.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #23
hahahaha, I see you made the new on a poll

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #24
When they actually start racing STOCK cars again, I might start paying more attention than I used to.
My dad thinks it's the best thing since electric choke and hydraulic clutches...but he's also stuck in the past.

Yates had a  good idea about modernizing the engines in Cup, but Nextcar (nascar nextel, play on words) has decided to make these NOT STOCK CARS wider and safer...hmmm, safety's a good thing...how about spec engines though?
Here's a thought...how about more stockish types of cars!?

I just feel really sour on nascar anymore....more rules than anything.
Bring back the real racing....fender beat in...bump draftin'.....heh.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #25
I've been a fan for a long time. Ever since I was about 5. I still hit the races when they're in town but don't watch much if any of it on tv anymore. I really don't care for all the changes they've made over the past 7 years or so but it won't go back to what it used to be so no sense in complaining.

I really like Cascar though. The Canadians have it right. The cars look soo much better than both current Nascar cars that are running. They remind me of the early mid 90's cars that just looked more like a factory car with ground effects.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #26
Yeah I watched a Cascar race not long ago and it was good ol' short track bumpin-n-banging.  Very enjoyable.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #27
well i see some of you have it all wrong about nascar and the name sake stock car racing.  in 1983 (just to put it in our own perspective) till 1988/89 the hood, greenhouse, and trunk all had to be factory sheet metal and it couldnt be altered except they could take all the structure  out from under the hood and trunk.  everything else was hand rolled sheet metal on an english wheel.  they've been hand making cars for at least 25-30 years now.  and they dont use composite materials.  nascar is forcing them to put a composite impact absorbing material in the doors, and they have that carbon kevlar splitter and wing on the back now.  otherwise, just like way back, the car is still 100% sheet metal.  now cascar on the other had has 100% composite fiberglass/ carbon-kevlar bodies that nascar has allowed on the track at infinion and other road courses that was cheaper to build a car for that race b/c they bolted the bodies on, not built it out of sheet metal.  a nascar racecar wouldnt be one if it didnt have a full roll cage, and a cage denotes anything that would make a NASCAR car similar to anything STOCK.  our t-birds use a unibody correct?  go to a musium that has an 87-88 car and have your self a look, the body is for show, whats really there is a monotube chassis that they've been doing since the late 70's if not even longer.  infact in aerobird era chevy had to sell 500 monte carlo aero coupes to make up the difference (it had a longer rear window) between the chevy greenhouse and the aerobird greenhouse.  the only difference now adays is i will agree and say they dont look a piss or shiznit like an impala or monte carlo.  the newer monte carlo cars were based on nascar design, not the other way around as most of you can figure out.  if you respect anyone that can hand make a car that will race with the petal (brake OR gas) held down for 500 miles, you really need to respect every nascar car team who manufactures cars for a living. its art at it's top mechanical degree.  i'l prolly end up welding for a nascar team in a couple years, thats my lil niche.  but i plan on racing the whole way there.

oh and NTI is a waste of money.  i had to pay over 30,000 dollars for regular training that you get at any tech school accross the country that has an automotive degree or classes.  they tell you at NTI you wont get any training like this in the world which is a lie.  the only thing that makes it different is while your in school your surrounded by N an A also an S with a C another A and last bot not least the R.  i paid about 10,000 just for those letters, and i couldnt even put a nascar tech sticker on my back glass if i wanted to even though i paid for the nascar NAME.  its basically a dealership school where instead of working on normal equipment, your working on nascar equipment thats been used.  my first class we worked on 350's that were decommissioned from race teams.  we were learning how to measure bores and cams and out-of-rounds and such with dial bore guages, ****ed up t guages with micrometerss... that was just the first class.  but then as you progress you realise they've told you not to contact a nascar team, if you do you will be suspended.  your working on nascar JUNK in reality.  your basically alienated from everything nascar to learn how to work on a dealership. NTI is a rip off. a  good school, but not worth the 30,000.  that didnt even include the over the wall class.  now i have about 10-15K in loans and going to griffin tech i can take 4 years of classes with what i have left over from a course that was 13 months long.  they also press on you that you could work for porsche or mercedes.  porche takes 27 people a year from all UTI camcoochs in the whole states.  thats like 1 or 2 from each place.  mercedes takes about 300 people.  i would have been one of those if my rent didnt get late, my car blowing a trans coolant line, and my roomates being dicks making me late or leave without me without saying they're leaving... i just didnt have any support to get to school after my car blew the lines out, so i had to drop out and to my suprise i can go anywhere and get equal or better training.  i figure im ganna go in for the rest of the automotive classes, with the money left over im ganna take metal joining and geometry along with whatever else i can find that'll help me build a monotube chassis thats PERFECT.

sorry for my rant about NTI, bc if your ganna go to UTI, go to NTI it is the best school uti has.  better than hot rod U, better than all of the other uti spotlights.  i mean where else in the world can you work on a modified 3 speed that was meant for a road course with the name "jasper" on the side of it?  i mean i found out that they dont run helical gears in them, spur gears meaning they have to downshift to 1st coming into the box or it wont go into gear without the main shaft rotating.

btw, if your cryin over spilled nascar sheetmetal milk where one guy bumps another guy, grow up, be a man, and realize when it comes down to winning a race and being famous and having your name in record books for a long long time as the winner of whatever nascar race.... if your chasing first you'll knock every loving hour of paint and body work off your car to win.  every driver is out there like that, the ones that whine have some body guy after you wantin you to pipe up about how tony stewart tore the side of your car off when infact you were using that side of the car to stop tony, but tony drove right through you and won.  now your 130,000 dollar car would be considered totaled and you get 2nd place's bounty if tony didnt feel like putting you in the wall.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #28
Wow... well this is getting rather out of hand.

I was talking about the 60's era stock cars, but I really know nothing of the history of the sport, just thought that a whole hell of a lot of 'em looked like they were more 'stock' than they are now.  That is all.

Anyone into NASCAR?

Reply #29
its an illusion.  even in the 60's they took stock sheetmetal and hand crafted them to fit the monotube chassis they were building.  the only diffference between now and then is a sort of poetic licence.  instead of running a monte carlo, you could run the same year buick or pontiac.  it didnt really matter b/c the chassis' were so similar (yet specifically different b/c no 2 people have the same set of finger prints)  they didnt make sheetmetal like they did in latter years, so in the 60's they hand rolled the stock fenders and cut the wheel wells so the tires looked like they fit (although its like putting 4 winged outlaw RR wheels on each corner and they gotta be tucked in the fenders. think of all of that work gettin those tires in a 8*~ aero coupe.)  also belive it or not, even into the earrrrly 90's they still used WOOD in the structure of the body, prolly "soft" mounting points on the chassis.