Skip to main content
Topic: bumo timing? (Read 1219 times) previous topic - next topic

bumo timing?

how do i pump my timing?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumo timing?

Reply #1
Unplug the spout connector, get a timming light, take a 13mm/.5"socket and crack lose the dristributor bolt, (with the motor off) Fire the car up, then using the timming light pointed at your harmonic balancer, adjust the timming to around 14*. turn off motor, and tighten the bolt and plug the spout connector back in. Now go enjoy filling up with premium fuel, :) (actually you might be able to get away with regular fuel, I did)

To help see the 14* mark, while the motor is off crawl under the car and mark it on the balancer with white out

bumo timing?

Reply #2
Hit it with a hammer. Gently. Hence the "bump."
It's Gumby's fault.

bumo timing?

Reply #3
tbird232ci way sounds alot easier!! but thank you 1wld brd
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumo timing?

Reply #4
Quote from: quicksilver;147272
tbird232ci way sounds alot easier!! but thank you 1wld brd
I hope you realize he was joking.

bumo timing?

Reply #5
Quote from: 88sportcoupe;147355
I hope you realize he was joking.

But it does work if you know what you're doing.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

bumo timing?

Reply #6
Quote from: cougrrr302;147381
But it does work if you know what you're doing.

So how do you know this? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

bumo timing?

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;147544
So how do you know this? ;)

Ive been told. Ive never done this. Ive been told that it will work temporarily if you know how hard to hit it.:D
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

bumo timing?

Reply #8
haha i'll just hit a kinda hard and call it good i guess

bumo timing?

Reply #9
Whoa!  Make sure when you do this, you check the level of your ignition conductivity fluid BEFORE bumping your timing.  If it's low, you could twist up your distributor like a pretzel.

bumo timing?

Reply #10
:laughing::stupid: