Skip to main content
Topic: 1st time running a 1/4 :( (Read 4462 times) previous topic - next topic

1st time running a 1/4 :(

I ran my 88 t-bird so ho, paxton, 3.73's at the track. It was my 1st time ever racing and thought my car would be slow, but not mid 16's. The car obviously needs work, but it may be a lost cause. Anyway it was fun and, since I had no clue,  did a:giggle: :giggle:  burn out in the water box! :giggle: The car was so slow I should have just went around it. :punchballs: The track guy told me to pull up. :flame: Hopefully, it works out but, at least it is worth a laugh. You all could put me down as the slowest car with a power adder.

Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #1
Props for having fun even though your car wasnt running right and congrats on it being your first time!

Just to make a little fun of you, my turbocoupe will beat you...:hick:

Reply #2
Having fun is the main thing.  I'm hopin my car can pull mid 15s after I get it all set up the way I want (exhaust and fuel pump mainly).

Reply #3
Something really wrong with your times. Bone stock HO w/ 373's I've ran between 14.90-15.20's at around 92-93 mph. With a 2.10-2.20 60' (street tires)

I know nothing about paxtons but what i do know if the wrong spark plugs, timing, fuel pressure could be hiding tons of horsepower. I'd say your missing alot if all she do is 86mph

Post your mods and tuning numbers like spark plugs, gap, timing, fuel pressure. How the car runs on the street etc.. Tell us more

If you were just a bad driver I would expect a terrible ET but a high MPH like 96-97mph
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Im sorry bro, but that is extremely pathetic, did you not have a belt on the blower?  My stock output 2bbl 302 out of an '84 Grand marquis, in my '85 cougar ran a 16.1 @ 85MPH bone stock.  you have some MAJOR issues with that car.

Reply #5
did you not have a belt on the blower?

without the blower it should run faster.

What injectors and mass meter you running too.. complete list of mods ok tbirdsc don't leave anything out..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;146727
Im sorry bro, but that is extremely pathetic, did you not have a belt on the blower?  My stock output 2bbl 302 out of an '84 Grand marquis, in my '85 cougar ran a 16.1 @ 85MPH bone stock.  you have some MAJOR issues with that car.

That's the exact same time I ran in the quarter with my tbird. All stock (before the HO conversion) except the 3.27 gears out back. Definately missing out somewhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #7
Yorue giving up a second in traction alone.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
I'd suggest putting the other four spark plug wires back on. Mid 16's with a blower? Holy !
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
My first time EVER at the track was in my mach1. It was a 13.2 car, stock, but 1st time out, I ran a 16+. I spun allot on my 1st launch.
Were you spinning allot on your launch? With the mach, the hardest part was the launch, and I never did better than 13.9 with stock tires.

Reply #10
no he wasn't, look at his MPH, that thing is only putting out about 135HP to the wheels.  Even if he spun badly the MPH should be well above, 100MPH.  In fact (no offense dude but....)I highly doubt there IS a blower there at all.  Lets see some pics of your engine bay.

Lol 1/4 mile times slopoke

Reply #11
Mods are as follows: stock so 92K converted to ho speed density. 255lph fuel pump, bbk adjustable regulator, paxton sn2000, paxton fmu, 7.5" 3.73 posi, tci shift kit, msd coil, ho cam is retarded 4 degrees.
 All of these mods were positively done by me. They may not have been done entirely correct, but nevertheless they were done. All of that is a given.
 Feeling some pressure, I can't say exactly what was going on at the track. In an ideal situation, I would have liked to have seen my fuel pressure and boost. Even more important, I would have liked to have run it without the charger belt, fmu, and a fresh set of plugs. I have a new set of autolite 25's. Are they ok?
 As far as traction goes, I don't know how bad the tires were spinning. I couldn't hear or feel it. I would say that the burn out is the one enjoyable thing about the vehicle at this point.
 Driving the vehicle on the street:
 Performance may have continously gone down, but it was never that great to begin with. The fmu has line locked the pressure as high as 85psi. Boost has been around 1psi per 1000rpm. Vacuum has always seemed low and the vehicle has a hard low speed decel miss. Almost like a manual trans vehicle when you lug the engine in high gear at too low an rpm. Base timing is 10 btdc. The transmission shifts were poor and might have some issues. The engine blows black smoke on hard accel. An engine compression test or cylinder balance test may be the first order of business.
 The times I know they are pathetic and that's what I get for letting stuff sit and then throwing it together thinking it will work. I almost didn't post them or make any additional runs at the track. Maybe they will get better or if not who knows? :evilgrin:
 Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #12
Don't be to down about it.  You knew it wasn't as fast as it should be.  Find yourself some local help in the tuning department.  Local because tuning over the net is difficult.  Go back to the track and ask the 5.0 Mustang guy's for some advice/help.  The guy's that are medium fast (11's &12's) usually enjoy the attention and can be good sources of info.  That black smoke screams horrible tune, way rich.  You have some good parts just need to get them working together.

Reply #13
Now I'm not a complete expert on this but I've done alot of reading on the subject because I'm about to do the same thing. One thing in your post that stuck out to me was that you converted to HO SPEED density. Did you not convert to full mass air? I'm assuming that because your running speed density, the computer is seeing very little vacuum and lots of air that it has trouble compensating for. The speed density models rely on a certain level of vacuum to run correctly. With boost, that level is obviously non existent. I'm also guessing that because the O2 sensors are reading lots of air due to boost, the computer tries to compensate by upping the injector duty cycle, hence all the black smoke. Obviously if its a speed density computer it has it's limitations. I would say first order is convert to mass air if it's not already that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

speed density

Reply #14
Agree with you 100 percent on going to mass air; however, I would really like to get this combo running right before anything else is put on the vehicle. If it runs better without the charger then I will probably do the conversion. I'm guessing a stock so/ho conversion should do alot better than what I'm running. I've heard that injectors can go "static" at pressures above 60-65psi and I know at wot it's well above that. It could be loading up with fuel. If I go a few steps back I may be able to finally take a step forward even if it turns out to be a base engine problem. Lots of things going on right now and my head is swiming.
 Thanks,
 Mike