Skip to main content
Topic: Well I guess it was a productive weekend.. (Read 6452 times) previous topic - next topic

Well I guess it was a productive weekend..

Reply #30
Oh thanks god, not another blue engine.  Grey or black or unpainted is the only way to go in my opinion.

Reply #31
I still prefer orange. ;P

Reply #32
Quote from: DakotaEpic;146272
Oh thanks god, not another blue engine.  Grey or black or unpainted is the only way to go in my opinion.

The blue irks me.  The shortblock was blue when I picked it up.. :toilet:

I can't leave them bare....can't stand looking at the rust...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #33
Quote from: Chuck W;146300
The blue irks me.  The shortblock was blue when I picked it up.. :toilet:

I can't leave them bare....can't stand looking at the rust...

Quote from: DakotaEpic;146272

Meh I like Ford blue:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
i have a chance of getting a cobra block... in purple.:yuck:
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #35
Well today was productive.  I started with the engine as seen previously in the thread and a car with basically a shortblock left in it and a trans.
I got some parts swapped.  I'm going to test out my new dual durometer bushings as well

This is how things sat as of 4:00PM

Basically all I need is oil/filter and coolant.  Then a quick prime of the oil system and I drop in the distributor and set timing.

Everything else is all buttoned up.  The only thing not done is the exhaust.  I need a couple more pieces to build it, so it will probably be started initially w/ just the downpipe. 

I can't drive it yet anyway, it's being help captive in the drive by the '80 XR-7 at the moment.  I need to at least get that running and the brakes working.  If it didn't have a small hill on my driveway I'd not be as concerned about the brakes, but since I do...I need to have them working.

Also, before I got started this morning I had as mentioned just a shortblock in the car.  I glanced over at the X-Flow head and decided to snap a pic :p

Reply #36
Gee, and all I did was put a mini-starter in today.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #37
Quote from: Ether947;146773
Gee, and all I did was put a mini-starter in today.

Well I just kind of got rolling.  I didn't think I'd have everything all together today.  I figured I'd at least get the engine set back in and maybe the trans and driveshaft back in.

It was just kind of "Well I go ahead and do this" and "While I'm under here I'll do this", and the next thing I knew, it was together.

Reply #38
Cool, looks awesome.

Reply #39
Looks good Chuck...................love the grey
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #40
Quote from: Chuck W;146771
...If it didn't have a small hill on my driveway...

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #41
Quote from: gumby;146899
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Well if I don't have any way to stop...I'll wind up smashing my neighbors' cars across the street ;)

Reply #42
i guess that wouldnt be an approved way to stop at the bottom of the "small" hill. :evilgrin:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #43
Well if I had the manual trans in it now it wouldn't be too big a deal, but that's not quite ready yet.

Reply #44
Well, I had the car running Sat for a short bit.
Notice I said "a short bit".  I got it all together and fired it up and it was running, but did not sound right at all.  It wasn't blowing any smoke or making any odd sounds, but it just wasn't right.

I also had an oil problem for a bit.  As the car was running, I noticed a drip from the behind the crank pulley.  I'm thinking "SOB front seal" or even the oil pan.  Well as the car ran more, I noticed oil was getting on the timing belt. So I took the front cover off and looked around. 
:dunce:  I had prepared the block for a TFI to DIS conversion once it was running again, and had drilled the block for the crank sensor bracket.  Once of the threaded holes was open to the crankcase..d'oh.  I had forgotten to plug it.  I rand a short bolt with sealant on it in there and cleaned the oil off and the oil loss stopped.

Back to the other issue.  I did a quick diagnostic by pulling plug wires to see if all holes were firing.  2 and 3 weren't, or at least not completely.  They had spark and fuel.  I knew I should have had the head resurfaced....  There was a questionable low spot between 2 & 3 when I was putting it together.

So I took the head back off and stripped it down.  I'll be taking it to the machine shop at some point this next week.  After I get a new headgasket and some new valve seals I'll button it all back up.

Just more frustrations (along wth everything else that has transpired this weekend), but it should be running again soon.