Skip to main content
Topic: Polar white (Read 4271 times) previous topic - next topic

Polar white

Reply #15
Hey Eric. His story checks out but what about mine? Look at my door code, it clearly stated 1M. Did I miss something

Polar white

Reply #16
I only have Lincoln-Mercury books, not Ford ones...my 1984 book does not show 1M for L-M cars, but that doesn't mean it wasn't available over on the Ford side, which from your car looks to be the case. So for your particular car and model year, 1M would be correct.

Polar white

Reply #17
thanks for clearing this up Eric.

when I first posted,I was looking at the # just below the exterior color, and that is not correct.that is why I thought it was not
showing up on coolcats.

I am now convinced I have Light charcoal, and will be getting the paint soon.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Polar white

Reply #18
one more thing,did they use clear coat back then and would it be wise to clear coat after its been painted?
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Polar white

Reply #19
For 1983 there were clearcoat colors but yours was not one of them. Basically any solid, non-metallic color (white, red, black, tan, etc.) was not clearcoated back then. However, now you can get virtually any color mixed up in base/clear. The choice is up to you... technically you have acrylic enamel now, and that will match better. Clearcoat will yellow slightly and might stick out next to the stock paint.

Polar white

Reply #20
thanks again for your knowledge Eric !!!
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Polar white

Reply #21
Does that mean the my car and his are the " same" color? Since both our codes are 1M?

Polar white

Reply #22
They should be. Well, er, his is more correct...yours needs some Simple Green, some soap and water, several days with a buffer, and about 15 coats of wax. But you get the point. ;)

Polar white

Reply #23
I can see that happining soon. But I have NO bluish tint to mine. It looks to be pure white with some dirt. Alittle shine left in the paint but no blue. And isn't the car susposed to be " pastel charcoal"? Not sure of a paint code but thats what I got out of the Fila book I got from Mike

Polar white

Reply #24
Claude's 1983 is Polar White, and that color is white with a bit of yellow. It's got WAY more yellow than 9L (Oxford White) but it's not nearly as creamy-yellow as Light Wheat. So I know for sure that if you had Polar White, or even Oxford White, we'd be talking about yellow tinges.

Pastel (Light) Charcoal is, for all practical purposes, a shade of "dark white" that is slightly on the bluish side. That doesn't mean it's light blue. What it means is that, if you hold up a sheet of bright white laser paper next to the car out in the sunlight, you should see the paint in its true nature. Use your eye to judge how the paint shifts compared to the paper. For a relatively unfaded paint job you *should* see a slightly bluish cast. But it can just look light grey...that's fine also. The point is, it's not a true white, just a slight toning down of white. I think even the T-Bird brochures showed Filas as a light grey, not a true white.

This is what happens when you have one of those  factory colors. It's unique, but it's not what you think it is because it changes in different lighting. If you want a true light grey, look to 1987-88 Smoke Grey (1K). It's almost like 1M but truly a grey. In comparison, 1M looks white. But compared to 9L we know that 1M is not. Again, it's one of those indescribable colors. But it's way cool nonetheless.

After 20 years I'm finally paying great attention to all of the colors used on these cars (inside and out) and have concluded that we had some insanely cool, subtle colors that unfortunately don't get the attention they deserved. 1M is definitely one of those. So is 1K (1987-88 Smoke). So is 2Y (1986 Midnight Wine). So is 3W (1986 Medium Regatta Blue). So is 91 (1984 Pastel Academy Blue, possibly the perfect color for showing off all the curves and lines on these cars). Of course, the elusive 1985 Light Sage Green Metallic (4B) is always a stunner. It's one thing to see these cars on the Internet; it's another to see them in person. That's when you really appreciate the subtlety that went into color selection. I, for one, can't wait to see Chooglin's car in person. Since he's only 45 minutes away from me, you think that would have happened by now (HINT HINT). ;)

And Mikey...get yours cleaned up and I bet you'll be surprised at the color...

Polar white

Reply #25
Well, she will be clean and waxed by CJ for sure. Then we can compair the two. Or 3 or how ever many.

Polar white

Reply #26
ok Fila,this pic should show you the diff. between "light charcoal" and white. I attempted to match my paint with dupli-colors "pure white" as you can see they are alot diff. the greyish blue tint really comes out in this pic.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Polar white

Reply #27
WEll, I guess compaired to that, my car does have a bit of a tint to it. Just still don't see the blue tint to it. Might be there under 7 years of dirt and finger prints

Polar white

Reply #28
Quote from: 84 Fila;145227
Mine is " Pastel Charcoal" which to my knowlage is a Fila only color. Paint code 1M. Holy shiznit, did I miss something?

Is this a two tone code? 1M and 1J

Neither 1M or 1J is listed in my 84 shop manual.

Polar white

Reply #29
Not a clue. I have 1M in the 83 ford paint chips as Light Charcoal and 1J as Grey in the 84 set of paint chips. I assume since mine is Pastel Charcoal that thats why I don't have a tint to my paint. Unless someone else has a better idea. Also a note that according to this, I have GW for my int code. That translates to The wnding W = Oxford White Int information. No clue on the G though.