Skip to main content
Topic: Dash mods? (Read 2306 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash mods?

What exactly is needed to convert the lower part of the center dash from a full-console floor-shift to the dash used on the column-shift?  I never even knew a column-shift existed until seeing pics here.
I may need to eliminate my console due to trans/shifter relocation.
Dave

Dash mods?

Reply #1
Just the trim around the radio from a car without the full center console.  Is it a cougar or t-bird?

Dash mods?

Reply #2
I think you may be the first person to go from a floor shift to a column.  Everyone seems to go the other way.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Dash mods?

Reply #3
If you want to keep the console,there's a tray that replaces the shifter bezel trim panel,and then you can go to column and leep the console.If you're removing the console,like stated above,you'll need the plastic panel for the radio surrouind,the slide out ashtray,and new carpet,as the carpet under the console has holes in it to accomodate the harness,and mounting brackets for the console.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Dash mods?

Reply #4
I bet you could do it with the sterring colum with the shifter in it. Then you would need all the linkages from the colum to the tranny. You would'nt have to remove the console just need to get one of those shifter bezels like vinniebird talked about. If it is an 83-84 I don't know that they made them with out the console so it might be a little tough on one of those models. If it 86-88 you should be able to find all the parts to remove the console.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Dash mods?

Reply #5
Oh,you'll also have to cover the hole left behind from the floor shifter as well.I am curious,why go to a column shifter?You will need to either swap the shift linkage arm in the tranny,or,possibly turn it 180 degrees (you'll have to drop the pan and do that),you'll also have to get the column shift column,associated linkage as well.You'll also more than likely need to change the TV cable linkage oin the tranny as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Dash mods?

Reply #6
Quote from: Prototype Services;144653
What exactly is needed to convert the lower part of the center dash from a full-console floor-shift to the dash used on the column-shift?

Find a member that is close by, that has a column shift car that wants to trade, and buy a 12 pack, and let 'em do all the work! ;)

So what's the deal that may cause you to go to a column shift?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Dash mods?

Reply #7
hope your not running duals. thats why i switched to a floor shifter, the linkage was in the way. you might get lucky an it fits but ...
1986 Cougar LS

Dash mods?

Reply #8
Before the floor shifter was installed on my other Bird,I had duals with no problems.Just going to a column shifter is probably as much or more work than going from coulumn to floor shifter.

Dash mods?

Reply #9
Quote from: vinnietbird;144712
Before the floor shifter was installed on my other Bird,I had duals with no problems.Just going to a column shifter is probably as much or more work than going from coulumn to floor shifter.

i know some people have done it with no issue but i was just sayin there is the chance he will have the same problem i did.
1986 Cougar LS

Dash mods?

Reply #10
I agree.

Dash mods?

Reply #11
Are you just planning on relocating the shifter elsewhere on the trans tunnel? What are you planning on using for your trans?
Like mentioned earlier, I think it's just the center surround trim thats different. But also, like mentioned, you'll need to figure out center console wiring relocation. But I'm sure you knew that already.:D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Dash mods?

Reply #12
an new carpet plus weld that hole closed. im good. i love my floor shifter now that i have it.
1986 Cougar LS

Dash mods?

Reply #13
OK, I did not expect all these responses and so quickly. Without going into a bunch of details in this post, I am "NOT" converting to a column shifter.  I am going to install a Richmond road-race 5 speed behind an old Nextel-Cup motor. For now, I want to attempt to retain the interior in a fairly stock appearance. This transmission has the shifter to the side and not above the tailshaft like the T-5s. I wasn't sure how I was going to work around this until seeing various pics here of interiors.
Dave

Dash mods?

Reply #14
take the front of a console an cut it off. extend it back or move it forward as needed. make sides out of 'glass an make a custom shifter plate. Or just make a new console. either way theres alot of work ahead of you
1986 Cougar LS