Skip to main content
Topic: Nitrous ?'s (Read 2359 times) previous topic - next topic

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #15
Right, now if one could determine the quantity an engine can "run" off of.  This is what I am wanting, which no one has ever done apparently.

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #16
Uhhh yeah nobody's done it because it can't be done. I'm not a nitrous expert, but you can't run nitrous at part throttle because it causes an extreme lean condition due to all the extra oxygen in the nitrous, but not enough fuel being injected into the cylinder (something like that)

You're welcome to try, of course, all the experts certainly can't be right.

Now, if you're talking about actually running the engine on nothing but nitrous, well...that's impossible because nitrous is not combustible.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #17
^^^ that is a BAD misconception i hear a lot!!! people think its like a SUPER-fuel that somehow makes more power. it makes me thankful that when i first saw the fast and the furious i had my dad to explain what NAWWWZ was correctly :giggle:  NAWWWWZZ!!!!!! *boom*
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #18
Oh, it'll go boom if you try to do what ztrane is talking about.

I read in one of the mags that if you leave your nitrous on all the time, eventually it will start to leak past the solenoids while the car is shut off, and then when you go to start the car....BLAMMO!

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #19
haha, actually i was referring to the scene in FnF where the eclipse gets blown up and vin diesel instantly knows the nawwwz is why its gonna blow
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #20
Yes, I know....

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #21
Quote from: Red_LX;144145
Uhhh yeah nobody's done it because it can't be done. I'm not a nitrous expert, but you can't run nitrous at part throttle because it causes an extreme lean condition due to all the extra oxygen in the nitrous, but not enough fuel being injected into the cylinder (something like that)

You're welcome to try, of course, all the experts certainly can't be right.

Now, if you're talking about actually running the engine on nothing but nitrous, well...that's impossible because nitrous is not combustible.

I always thought nitrous couldn't be ran at part throttle because you need maximum air flow through the intake to prevent fuel puddling in the intake (wet kits)

Now on a dry kit I think its what you are saying as far as everything being calibrated for WOT and it would run lean until your wide open..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #22
Just don't run it lean.  If it needs more fuel give it more fuel.  When you can't risk pushing the button it would be nice to have it ready.

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #23
Nitrous is not combustible. Nitrous is the oxygen source that allows burning of more fuel.

The 'charge" that is injected into an internal combustion engine has limitations.

First how much air flow the engine can pump, this can be altered “some’ by artificially aspirating an engine. All you TC guys know this. Get a turbo or a blower to FORCE feed the engine. This ‘stuffs” more fuel/air mixture into the engine. Thus creating a larger air/fuel charge in the cylinder and in turn a larger explosion and in turn more power. This has limits, you are adding AIR and no matter how hard you PUSH only so much can flow past the valves and down into the cylinders THUS the limit is based on the amount of fuel you can get into the cylinder and this is limited by capacity.

The Oxygen/Fuel mixture is what actually has to be maintained or you just flood the engine out. In the above FORCE Feeding the Oxygen is supplied by the air. This creates a limit to how much Fuel can be introduced to the cylinder.

With nitrous you convert that charge from Air/Fuel to Nitrous/Fuel. Actual numbers I would have to look up but for the sake of a quick explanation (that’s already to long winded)
Air has one molecule of oxygen per part compared to Nitrous having two.
So for every “part” of Nitrous injected into the engine you MUST have twice the Fuel supplied.
The explosions happen when the Fuel is cut off. The engine INSTANTLY goes into an extreme LEAN condition and what you actually get is an instant melting of your piston heads. What all this adds up to “instantly” is a blown engine.

That’s why a nitrous system has two Solenoids and generally an additional DEDICATED fuel pump AND an fuel pressure cut of for the Nitrous solenoid. IF there is no fuel at the correct matching pressure as the nitrous meltdown will occur.  So the Nitrous is cut off.

So now his Theory of using nitrous at a idle. WHY?

With “precise” controlling of the Nitrous/Fuel mixture, yes what he ask can be done. How this would be controlled I have no Idea but in this day and age I’m sure there are controllers out there that could do it. But again WHY?

At idle you engine normally aspirated can push just as much HP and Torque as it could on a trickle of nitrous, you’re just substituting expensive Nitrous for free Air. So again WHY?

Nitrous is intended, and only makes sense for use when normal engine aspiration has met its limits “WOT” or an artificially aspirated engine has met its limits at WOT. It is a way of stuffing more Fuel into an engine and the oxygen to allow it to burn that fuel. Prior to WOT the engine has the capacity to feed itself.

It simply makes no sense!

:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #24
OK heres what you do. Spray it till it pops. Fix it then back the nitrous down a hair. then you're good to go.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #25
^^^actually good idea! hell, engine rebuilds are dirt cheap! I do mine weekly, just for peace of mind more than anything. :D

Nitrous ?'s

Reply #26
I could see a progressive shot activating at 1/3-1/2 throttle, so you don't get a sudden surge in HP maybe causing traction loss... But then you couldn't say "HEY... feel my nitrous" :D ...

Me, I just trigger it at WOT... Yeah its a real rush launching off the line with the stuff...