Skip to main content
Topic: Hmmm I wonder... (Read 19307 times) previous topic - next topic

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #30
It can work...I just don't understand why people think they need to run a turbo with a twin screw blower....it's a freakin' positive displacement supercharger...it won't stop making boost on that 2.3 at any rpm...low-end, mid-range, top-end...doesn't matter...sell your turbo and make your car a little lighter...you'll be faster.

About the positive displacement I will be adding a bypass valve eventually so when the bypass valve is open the sc cannot make boost. That will solve that problem and just the turbo will be working. And about making the car ligher well ill post some pics of my car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #31

Here are some progress I did today the blower now looks alot better.:evilgrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #32
Where is the Outlet on that blower?
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #33
The outlet is the top plenum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #34
looking good !!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #35
Cool, making progress. I see your more of a doer than a talker. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #36
I think most turbo/supercharger setup's (designed to work together) bypass the supercharger at high rpm's.  I don't know how they do it.
One 88

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #37
A bypass valve set at a given boost rating would do it.  Since the blower is feeding the turbo I would think that you can put the bypass valve in between the two.  The trick is to pick a good point where the turbo is starting to make it's own power.  There would most likely be some experimenting involved here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twincharger
http://come.to/twincharger
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/lane/1231/20-valve.html
Look here, the aftermarket's getting into it too:  http://www.detroittuned.com/products/index.php?sSection=engine&sProduct=20050324230623

Looks good!  I'm diggin' the idea.  Keep us up to date!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #38
Here are some more progress pics.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #39
The only issue now that I need to solve is the belt routing. I also filled the supercharger with oil and now its super smooth. Won't be long before its done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #40
the belt looks like its gonna be a pain to do
Edit i wrote that before you posted about it lol
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #41
Something I would do.  Install a boost gauge on that pipe going from the supercharger to the Turbo.  If you started reading vacuum at high Rpm then you would know it was a restriction.  Would be interesting to compare the reading off that pipe and the pipe going to the intake.
One 88

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #42
Also are you overdriving the supercharger?  On SC's they run at something like 12k rpm because of the jackshaft.
One 88

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #43
Something I would do. Install a boost gauge on that pipe going from the supercharger to the Turbo. If you started reading vacuum at high Rpm then you would know it was a restriction. Would be interesting to compare the reading off that pipe and the pipe going to the intake.

Yes I will be checking with a boost gauge on the sc to turbo pipe that's why I installed a nipple on the pipe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmmm I wonder...

Reply #44
going to be an awesome setup
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication