Skip to main content
Topic: What do you think? (Read 3234 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you think?

Reply #15
Quote from: dudeman351;142959
maybe a water return pump

Some people have run the IHI's with out the water just fine. If you do you need to idle the car for a few minutes before shutting down like you would any other non water cooled turbo.

So plumbing the IHI's for water isn't even required.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

What do you think?

Reply #16
Quote from: Dogcharmer;142894
Or you could buy my ceramic coated twin turbo headers;)

I can't believe your selling those. You may have just single handily changed my entire setup. lol.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

What do you think?

Reply #17
hypereutectic is a cast piston. hypereutectic means that the aluminum alloy has an extremly high silicon content.

louie
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

What do you think?

Reply #18
Yes but a hypereutectic piston(SILICONE IMPREGNATED,WAY STRONGER) is way better suited to boost than a cast piston,still not the gretest piston for boost though.
I am also a Liscensed Class A tech and i have a supercharged 5.0L HO in my ride.
I have done months upon months of research to make sure i didn't get boom knocka/knocka and i haven't.
You can run boost on hyper pistons but it is not recomended do some research.
What you propose is a good idea but you can't do it for that cheap and have it be reliable is what i and everyone else is trying to tell you.
You asked for input and your getting it, just because it's not what you want to hear don't rant about it.
If you could run cast pistons with boost why would we need forged???????????
Don't you think that there are people out there like myself that no how to tune a boosted ride properly and not have detonation????
Those pistons will not take that kind of compression pressure or HP let alone if not tuned absolutley perfect, which for 500bucks and with  no wideband or tuner is impossible,even withthe most experienced tuner by your side.
It's like Driving towards a brick wall with a blindfold on.
Just because your a tech does not mean you know how to tune a boosted vehicle,where do they teach that in school?????
Some of us on here know alot more than you think why do you think your getting these responses????????????

What do you think?

Reply #19
Quote from: dudeman351;143009
hypereutectic is a cast piston. hypereutectic means that the aluminum alloy has an extremly high silicon content.

louie

Well, it's not technically a cast piston. At any rate, hypereutectics tend to "flake" under detonation, rather than shatter like a cast piston usually will do.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

What do you think?

Reply #20
Quote from: dudeman351;142738
I'll use the s/o short block till it pops.The later model 5.0 HO has cast pistons and they run 10 psi of boost all day.I'm thinking using a 91 crown vic ecm w/maf.

louie
p.s. all parts used will be scrounged begged borrowed or donated.Or bought as cheap as possible. Nothing new.

The '91 C' Vics and Grand M's did use MAF in CA... AFIK that's the only year with MAF and SO 5.0...

I don't see any major holes in your plans(at least till the pistons go BOOM :hick: )... IF you start low boost and work your way up(avoiding detonation), I'd think it would be reliable at 7-8 lbs...

What do you think?

Reply #21
Thanx for the replies guys.Sorry, Didn't mean to come off like a prick if thats what you gathered. The thing is the wife doesn't want me to spend money on the cars unless they need work.(they all run extremly well). I have to pull this off for next to nothing. If it goes boom I have another SO to go in. I just have all these parts that I have no money in and I wanted to see if it could be done. By the way I also scored the intercooler off the svo so i could use it. and there are header s at the shop (used but free) for a small block so i might make headers. I wanted to put the turbos under the car because its different and they run cooler. Like i said I want to recess them under the rear seat and make a heat shield and a bash plate w/scoop to keep airflow. There is a kit I believe made by sts that mounts the turbos where the ler goes. They have proven that it can work.you just need a pump on the oil return line. All the parts I have ,both turbos, ecm, Maf, fuel injectors, heads,intercooler,I have about $20 in them. All i have to buy is exhaust pipe and some bends. A fuel pump and a afpr. I did my 3G conversion for less than $47 including alt and 4 ga cable. I'm into low buck not just for the I did it when they said it couldn't be done factor but it also makes my marriage happier.(wife looks at a car as transpo only.) So once again I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

What do you think?

Reply #22
Np man,provide pics and let us know if it works.

What do you think?

Reply #23
mounting the turbos under the car
  How will they be lubricated?

you'll have quite a few driveability issues with speed density

Study:  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=2028
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

What do you think?

Reply #24
Quote from: dudeman351;143167
  I did my 3G conversion for less than $47 including alt and 4 ga cable. I'm into low buck not just for the I did it when they said it couldn't be done factor but it also makes my marriage happier.

I did mine with a $15(plus $3 core) 130A alt and feed wire from a Taurus wagon from U-Wrench-it... 2 1/2 years and about 200 dragstrip passes it's doin' fine... I have the two speed fan from a another Taurus wagon to install also...

Quote from: dudeman351;143167

(wife looks at a car as transpo only.)
louie

Mine too, but she learned a long time ago to not mess with my car dealin's, whether I'm the payer or the payee...

What do you think?

Reply #25
the way they will be lubricated is with a 3/8" steel tubing coming off the pressure port behind the p/s pump. Then a small electric pump on the return side then back to the motor. Same for the water lines.I amgoing to convert to MAF w/91 CV 5.0 ECM. Low pressure(7-8 psi) intercooler off 86 svo. All my plumbing will be done w/ exhaust pipe.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

What do you think?

Reply #26
3/8" is bigger than you need...

Most people use -8 AN lines, or 3/16" brake line (maybe 1/4" at most)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

What do you think?

Reply #27
well heres the scoop guys.wife says i can do the car but I have to fix the 92 GM.(broke tranny). Then she gives me back the turbo.then I install t-3 and exhaust,and swap out abs(pressure switch bad cost $100 for a used one can convert for $70) then the sport comes off the road and I start the project. V8demon thanks for the link. I wonder if a brake booster check valve might work in this situation? I know this can be done. We do alot of performance work at the shop so between the 3 of us we know we can pull this off. Once more thanx guys I will keep y'all posted on updates.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

What do you think?

Reply #28
I am going to convert to MAF w/91 CV 5.0 ECM

I knew the '91 Vic 5.0 was an SO motor, but they were Mass Air as well?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

What do you think?

Reply #29
i dont get this whole "lubrication issue" on the turbine shaft (s).  If your simply feeding oil from where the pres switch is located, it stands to reason that if you have good to great oil presure arriving at the turbo, it will be pushed back to the pan due to said presure no matter the location of the turbo.  Its just a simple bushing with an allowable oil clearance tolerance, so presure will be felt there and after the bushing.  Sure it might take longer for the return line to fill up and start dribbling back to the pan but id bet it would work if the turbo were a little lower than whats considered normal.

this is like saying we all need a pump to push our fuel back into the tank cause the return line has to go uphill to enter the top of the tank. 

i was never aware that any of the turbo lubrication depended on gravity alone.,, that would not make sense especially how chrysler did the dodge daytona turbo.
I have one of those in my garage now and the oil feed line starts where the sender is and traverses up hill then back down hill to the turbo.  The oil lubs the shaft then leaves going uphill slightly to the oil pan.

maybe im an idiot.:hick: