Skip to main content
Topic: What do you think? (Read 3233 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you think?

hi all
Heres the deal I have 2 complete IHI turbos. What I was thinking is Getting the summit $99 long tube headers and mounting the turbos under the car. Making 2x3 box tubing sub connectors and using them as my inlet ducting to the throttle body. No intercooler as this pointas it will be 10 psi max.(for now at least). Considering I work at an auto repair shop and already have the turbos I'm going for low buck. Less than $500. Injectors, ecm and other parts are not a problem as I have free access to what ever I may need at little or no cost.(perks of being in the industry) Do you think its feasible? I saw the undercar turbo mount on Two Guys Garage and I figured why not? All input will be greatly appreciated.

louie
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

What do you think?

Reply #1
by the way the car is an 88 5.0 sport T-Bird.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

What do you think?

Reply #2
Those so pistons are not forged and won't handle boost very well.
Also you will need a boost retard,colder plugs,you already know about bigger injectors and such.
How are you going to control fuel with the bigger injectors when not in boost,you'll have quite a few driveability issues with speed density so a maf conversion will be necessary.
If you can do it and have it be reliable for 500 bucks i'd congradulate you but i don't think it's possible.

What do you think?

Reply #3
I'll use the s/o short block till it pops.The later model 5.0 HO has cast pistons and they run 10 psi of boost all day.I'm thinking using a 91 crown vic ecm w/maf. A jegs fmu 1.7 cobra rockers(buddy has a set in a drawer) 19 lb injectors with about 40 psi of fuel pressure. Now keep in mind this is still in the planning stages.Also a set of E5se heads off a 351w Holley 4bbl 84 F-150 with 1.84 intakes and 74 or 76cc chamber with a mild port.(also free). I'm on a mission to do the worlds cheapest turbo conversion in history.By the way I have $0 in the IHIs. One is comming out of the 88 TC. The other was given to me last week. So please I need as much brainstorming as you all can muster up. I really think I can pull this off.

louie
p.s. all parts used will be scrounged begged borrowed or donated.Or bought as cheap as possible. Nothing new.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

What do you think?

Reply #4
I think IHI's would suck on a 5.0, even with twins. They're just too small. You car would end up making a buttload of torque down low and you wouldn't have any help up top.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

What do you think?

Reply #5
Thats why keeping maximum flow potential on the low side is what i'm thinking.Not going for maximum hp but for a torque curve from hell. Keep the 2.73 posi 8.8 and AOD. Don't spin it over 5000 rpm. This car would be the ultimate highway cruiser. Not a drag car but a car that pulls hard from 70-120.
Not to sound needy but please all ideas and opinions are wanted and needed. OR if you think I'm totally whacked I want to know.Because knowing  is half the battle.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

What do you think?

Reply #6
The IHI are somewhat small on the 140 cid 2.3. But I really want to hear how this thing works for you. Good luck and keep us updated

What do you think?

Reply #7
Not sure what HO your talking about with cast pistons but all roller 5.0L HO's from mid 85to92 where trw forged pistons(fact not fiction).
Using one from a pre 85 is useless in stock form.
Doing all that work to blow a piston/s on the first run is not really worth it man(and it will happen)cast WILL NOT handle boost.
91 Crown vic to my knowledge was 4.6L,pretty sure even if they where 5.0Ls they where so and not maf.
The fmu will work but your stock pump will not work with it as there is barley enough fuel for the stock application yet being boosted.
Get a cheap set of E7TE heads(50bucks),they will be better than the E5SE's any day.
The 1.7s is a good idea and the 19lber's will work for a little while with the correct fmu.
I hate to burst this idea man cause it sounds like you have great intentions but with the plans you have you have a very big BOOOOOOOOOOOM knocka,knocka,knocka,siezed!!!!!!! in your future.
This would be a much better plan:
Find an HO 86-92 (93 had the wrong pistons but are better than cast)It will already come with the e7te's,better cam and 19lbers,get the fmu,a walbro 255lph and a boost retard off ebay(cheaper than jegs).
Find a maf stang in the wreckers(i know hard to find) and get the maf and eec.
If the turbos are plumbed correctly,there is enough fuel and enough retard this may work and last at 10psi
All told parts off ebay should be:
walbro 255lph: $69.99
fmu:                $89.99
Boost retard: usually about $100.00(corral would be your best bet).
eec:                  $150.00             
maf:                $25.00 right now on ebay buy it now.
So right there you at $435ish+shipping so say there's your $500.00
Another 500 for an engine and for 1000.00 it may be doable but there's just no way for 500 bucks.
If you do it that way you'll have fuel and timing retard,2 things essental for boost and an engine that can handle boost in the first place.

What do you think?

Reply #8
Quote from: dudeman351;142723

Heres the deal I have 2 complete IHI turbos. What I was thinking is Getting the summit $99 long tube headers and mounting the turbos under the car.

Or you could buy my ceramic coated twin turbo headers;)

The problem with mounting them under the car would be making room for them. If you've ever swapped your h-pipe you'll know that space is at a premium down there. The other problem is oil drain back. This is why most of the twin turbo kits mount the turbos up high in the front of the engine bay. They fit well there and you can get the oil back to the pan with out some sort of pump system.

My headers are from an ITS kit. I bought them when they were going out of business. I was just never lucky enough to find a couple IHI's and get the project off the ground.

Even though the IHI's might be a bit on the small side, it doesnt mean you wont run low 11's with them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

What do you think?

Reply #9
Quote from: Dogcharmer;142894
Or you could buy my ceramic coated twin turbo headers;)

Do those headers have T3 s, or T4 s? Cuz they look kinda like T4 s from that angle...

Also, dominator, the '91 Crown Vic still had the 5.0. The Crown Vic and Thunderbird didn't go to the 4.6 until '94.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

What do you think?

Reply #10
Yea but red if it still did have the 5.0L is wasn't HO and i know that for a factso the maf and eec would not be useable if it was even maf and i doubt that too.

What do you think?

Reply #11
You selling those headers???

What do you think?

Reply #12
thanx 4 the replies. to clear up a few things. the 91 CV is 5.0 SO MAF. The HO with the cast pistons is the 94-95 sn-95.How many of them have vortex blowers running 10 psi? the piston is not the issue what matters more is the state of tune. Icould see forged pistons for 15+ psi but I'm only going 10 max.I'm not looking to build a race car but a nice DD. I'm keeping the AOD and 2.73 gears. basically i want to cruise at 70 lay into it a little and run 100 no problem. Not peak hp but a broad torque curve. I know about turbos and tuning I'm an ASE certified auto tech by trade.In fact we have a couple of turbo fords at the shop. my 88 tc which has 200k mi and still pulls like a sonbitch.and bossmans 86 svo making 350 flywheel hp(where my t-3 came from put t3/04 hybrid on svo).And a mid 70's pinto with 88 tc drivetrain. We also used to play with ministockers sanctioned by FASCAR. So we know what we are doing.  Any thing could be done with enough time patience and fab work. Mounting them under the car is feasible.all you would need is a pump on the return side of the turbo oil system. and maybe a water return pump no biggie a trip to grainger.I was thinking about cutting the floor under the back seat and recessing the turbos there. heat really shouldn't be a problem but a heat shield should fix any problems.Oh and i saw in another thread about 8.8 rears in non turbo 88 t-birds. my sport has 8.8 w/2.73 and trac-lok.

sorry for the rant. I just thought you guys would be interested in a super low buck turbo build.

louie
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

What do you think?

Reply #13
Quote from: dominator;142944
Yea but red if it still did have the 5.0L is wasn't HO and i know that for a factso the maf and eec would not be useable if it was even maf and i doubt that too.

From what I got he was pretty set on running the SO :dunno:

Anyway. I thought '94-95 HO's had hypereutectic pistons in them, not cast.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

What do you think?

Reply #14
Quote from: Red_LX;142935
Do those headers have T3 s, or T4 s?

4 bolt rectangular T3 s. IHI's would bolt right up.

Quote from: ztrane;142949
You selling those headers???

Yes, PM me if interested.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)