Skip to main content
Topic: Common TC Problems (Read 3135 times) previous topic - next topic

Common TC Problems

Reply #15
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;141898
If you buy a T/C you expect to have to work on it at least once a week

haha true that! I just expect it in my schedule :D  :birdsmily:
I guess I should chime in being that I have an 83TC and an 88TC (Mike did at one time as well.. so chime in;)  ) I do consider my 83 to be allot less complicated than my 88. it did/does not have any of the fancy things that my 88 does like firm ride, premium fuel switch, auto headlights, premium sound, power seats, and just the way it is set up and run/used i feel is a little different. But I would not consider it to be less comfortable or consider it harder to use, jsut different... I would not think either one would be more suited than the other for a long trip, because I have done considerably long trips in both cars, and got out feeling like I could run a sprint without even stretching. The engine bay in the 83 is even less "cluttered", and more clean looking.. I would say that the 88 is obviously more easier to find certain parts for in respectalbe shape, but I am not complaining about my 83 in anyway shape or form! :flip:  If I were to purchase one for daily driver duty (we shall see how long that will last, your gunna get hooked!), I would look for an 87/88 before I would one of the earlier style due to parts being a little more plentiful, even though there are more things that could go wrong on it ("problems" are clearly stated in previous posts by other people..) but that is clearly MY OWN oppinion. Or you could just accept the fact that you are going to get completely hooked on the whole 2.3T thing and get two of them like I did :evilgrin: :beatyoass: :flip:    hope my opinion helps... :D

Frank M.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Common TC Problems

Reply #16
Listen to us we know. I'll tell you a T/c DD is cool but like T83C said you will get hooked. That is why I have 3 block's 5 heads' and many many many other parts for 2.3t.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Common TC Problems

Reply #17
Pfft, I have a yard full of TC's, a Sport in my neighbor's lawn, a TC 300 miles away in a buddy's lawn, and a buddy's TC in my lawn :hick: Not to mention the shed full of parts, the closet full of models, the bedroom with an engine in it...

:D

Common TC Problems

Reply #18
Thanks for the help guys.  I still want to look at getting a TC, but after hearing some of the things, I'm going to wait untill I'm on a little more solid ground (trying to get away from my current job).  I'll make sure to get one in good contidtion to start with, so I'm not playing  catch up to begin with.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Common TC Problems

Reply #19
Quote from: ipsd;142107
Listen to us we know. I'll tell you a T/c DD is cool but like T83C said you will get hooked. That is why I have 3 block's 5 heads' and many many many other parts for 2.3t.

Then you start putting them in everything you own:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Common TC Problems

Reply #20
For what it's worth from someone who has bought ( 18 ) 87-88 TCs, buy the nicest one you can afford and don't be afraid to spend time checking everything out.

I once bought and drove a 87 TC 5-speed in 1994  that had 67k miles and because the IHI turbo bearings went bad, someone installed a giant screw in the exhaust side of the turbine housing to prevent the impellar from spinning.

I drove that car for 2 years getting 25 mpg with the intake air weezzing thru a non-moving turbo..

0-60 in 14 seconds...

Beautiful car...wanted to do a 351W swap on it. No money...had to sell cheap.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Common TC Problems

Reply #21
Quote from: turbo83coupe;142040
haha true that! I just expect it in my schedule :D  :birdsmily:
Frank M.

Hey Frank,

Do you notice any rust on the front floor pans where it starts to go up toward the firewall on your 83?

Lots of the ones I've been seeing lately in the JY have had rust in this area. Seems a common problem.

Just something to look out for if it's a NE car. I think I'll buy cars from the west and south from now on!

Rod
tbirdregistry.com

Common TC Problems

Reply #22
A buddy of mine was thinking about buying my dads 88 t-coupe and his dad started telling him 'back in the day' those were the worst cars out and had problem after problem....:beatyoass:

I love my car. The brakes were out so we put a manual master cylinder in it. Other than that it's perfect(close to it;)).
Did I mention my ghetto boost controller was all the way open and I didn't realize it?... oops. I don't have an aftermarket boost gauge, but the stocker pegged out...:hick:

Common TC Problems

Reply #23
Quote from: rodsterh;143461
Hey Frank,

Do you notice any rust on the front floor pans where it starts to go up toward the firewall on your 83?

Lots of the ones I've been seeing lately in the JY have had rust in this area. Seems a common problem.

Just something to look out for if it's a NE car. I think I'll buy cars from the west and south from now on!

Rod

passenger side on mine is mint. Driver side is a little hairy, but nothing to be scarred of. Mine has been garrage kept and in only one winter when it was first purchased and washed everytime it was brought home when it was taken out. It has been taken very good are of! :D  I dont even see any other 83's around here. Like not even base model 83's... You mostly see 87/88 out this way if you see anything. I have occasionally seen a few 4 eyes worth stopping to look at.

Frank M.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435