Skip to main content
Topic: thinking about buying a 87 t-bird, what do you guys think? (Read 1304 times) previous topic - next topic

thinking about buying a 87 t-bird, what do you guys think?

Well i was driving to the city today and right out of town was this T-Bird, its a 1987 the body is ok, some surface rust but nothing right through, i stopped and talked to the guy selling it, he bought it 9 years ago, its been his daughters and his sons, but its only got 140k on it and its a 3.8.

first question does it take much to drop a 5.0 in this? cause i have a friend that has one sitting around.

other thing is i always wanted to try messing around sanding a painting a car and this would be a fun project, can you get panels for these cars pretty cheap anywhere or not really?

hes asking 500 dollars for it but would probally take 300. only two pics i took were in the dark and they didn't come out good. but just wondering if this would be a waste of time or not.

now i have a 95 tbird allread that i want to do some stuff to but the body is in great shape, that isn't a Daily driver, and this woudn't be a daily driver either.

Reply #1
Great buy.I'd snag it.To do the 5.0 upgrade takes a little work and a bunch of parts....

5.0/accessories
5.0 Harness
Computer
Motor mounts
Fuel lines
Fuel pump
Exhaust

That'll get you going.If you're going to buy the car and decide to do the 5.0 swap,you might as well do the H.O 5.0. since you'll be starting from the beginning.Then you just add the 5.0 H.O and H.O computer.Everything else from above still applies.Good luck,keep us posted.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
You can't get sheet metal for these cars anymore. The side mouldings are also unavailable, as are the mouldings around the back window.

Junkyards have been very kind towards me - I've been able to get just about every single interior piece I've ever needed. It looks like you'll need at least a driver's side mirror!

If you do decide to pick up the car, good luck!

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #3
Where are you loctated?By the rust on the car,I'm guessing up north or north-east.I've talked about it here many times,there's a salvage yard I enjoy here that has about 20 Fox T-Birds and Cats.All of the body panels one could need are there.Probably this summer I'll start buying replacent metal for my '88 Sport just in case I need them one day.The parts you may need are available to you,it's just a matter of seeking them out and finding them,and,having a lot of patience.It can be a real challenge.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
im in michigan, and im not sure if i want to do this or not, it sounds like tons of fun but i have plans for my 95 also, i think what im going to do is if its still for sale come money go over there with a body shop guy im friends with and have him look it over.

Reply #5
My bird was a 3.8L, but I swapped in a 5.0L HO and 5 speed.  It is a fun car now, and didn't take a whole lot of work.  Check out my car domain for pics of the work if you want.

Reply #6
if you don't mind me asking what kinda price range did it take to do that?

what kinda potential do these cars have compared to the fox mustangs?

Reply #7
Quote from: fordraceing_man;140187
what kinda potential do these cars have compared to the fox mustangs?

These ARE mustangs... just in a different wrapper.

anything, minus a few aftermarket header/h-pipe things, will fit thats from a stang.

there is almost no aftermarket for these cars... around here theres a couple guys that make things to sell for these cars ChuckW and Aerobird Motorsports just to name a couple.

I'd say dooo iiiiit

Reply #8
My car has spanked quite a few Mustangs.As stated above,these cars are basically the same car,just a little longer wheelbase.I have a Stang X-Pipe,Stang engine,Stang headers,Explorer intake,the possibilities are endless.If you can mod a Stang,you can do the same to ours.You can use the Stang rear ends,Stang Exhaust (need to lengthen the flow tubes a little),Stang wheels,suspension,and on and on.Any help you need is all right here.Between all the members,there's probably not much that hasn't been done,or attempted.Now,go get the car.

Reply #10
I'd stay away from it personally,it looks rather rusty in the pics.
The 1/4 rust is almost impossible to fix as it starts from the inside out on these cars(trust me i know)and in front of the rear wheel near the rocker looks rusty as well,big money to replace 1/4s, plus their unavailable as are rocker panels.
By the look of those front inner fenders from your pic i also think you may have frame rot thru(very common on a none taken care of car) and to top it all off it's a 3.8l,just not worth it man.
Their's a nice looking 86 5.0L in here for sale already for 350, not sure of it's location too you but it just goes to show that for around 500bucks there are nicer birds out there.

Reply #11
Yea eat that stang for lunch tom!!!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Gotta agree with Dominator - that car needs a lot more body work than you think. One thing you'll learn after having old cars is that there is simply no such thing as "It's all surface rust, no holes". I can guarantee you that those quarter panels are rotted completely through over the back wheels.

Still, if you could get it for $300, it might be worth it as a beater or sleeper. Or if you already had an 87-88 it might be worth it for parts. Looks like it's got at least one good door, the fender doesn't look too bad, it's got decent wheels (when compared to the steel ones most of these cars had).

One other thing to look out for: That "only" 140 miles could be 2, 3, 4, or 540k. The odometer in these cars can only show a "1" for the hundred-thousand mark. Once you pass 199,999 it goes back to 100,000. You can verify the mileage by pressing the E/M button. 140k should equal approximately 225k in metric mode (since the odo can only show 1, it'll show around 125k). 240k miles would show around 185k in metric (really 385k). Confused yet? :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣