Skip to main content
Topic: 5 Days until Drag Racing, worked on the car ALL DAY! (Read 1901 times) previous topic - next topic

5 Days until Drag Racing, worked on the car ALL DAY!

Spent all day long working on Layla in antition of Opening Weekend for bracket racing. I just started Spring Break so I have a week off to work on something important! :P Anyways, today I got the driver's side Chuck W mount on, cleaned up the new intakes (going for a 4-port job instead of the gutted/ported combo I've been using), re-coated the E6 and turbine housing, replaced some vacuum lines, and did some major clean-up work. The trunk developed a leak that I can't find to save my life, so I pulled all the grey stuff out and wire-wheeled it all then shot some zinc primer. I recently got the Mother's Powerball set, so I played with that a little. Doesn't work worth a  on wheels, but with Meguir's plastic polish it does WONDERS for the lights! I also replaced some interior pieces with parts from Bob's old TC (I'm hoping they'll convince the rest of the car to go 13's or at least stop breaking :P ). Tomorrow I have to order up some random fittings and the A-pillar pod, that's it for parts (for now). I do have some things I can't decide on:

I got the Essy valve cover (with the new style oil cap). Should I strip the powdercoating or did they fix the flaking problem? Then what? Nothing under the hood is polished anymore and the engine is AMC Blue (don't ask) so I'm thinking of doing the same to the vc.

And speaking of the AMC Blue, I'm thinking of painting the intakes and then polishing the fins instead of leaving them bare like usual. Sorry, I can't put any car back together dirty! ;)

I did get a set of 56# injectors. My plan is to get the car together and running and do some testing and make a few passes on the LA3/35#'s. Once I'm happy with the car and outta the hole a little (read: tax return) I'm going to go ahead with the AEM UEGO and a TwEECer RT to go with the 56#'s. Will that be enough for my tuning purposes or am I leaving something out?

:birdsmily:

Reply #1
sounds like it is coming back together :) I just got all the more anxious to get mine back together!! I just need to get the flywheel resurfaced and it will be time to put the transmition back in with the new clutch!! :D  I need to do something about the green top inj, small vam, and lack of LA3 to!! :beatyoass: :toilet:  :beatyoass:

Get it done and make some passes :evilgrin:

Frank M.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Reply #2
How fast are you planning on running?
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #3
I never plan on this car running :hick:

It went 14's on the stock engine and a T3 so I'd imagine the rebuilt motor with SC50 and ported everything ought to go real good. I'd be happy with cracking the 13's. I figure the CHE arms and other suspension work I have planned will get me into the 12's on ET Streets then it's TwEECer/56#'s/Speed Density time. Then I can really turn up the wick. Eventually I'd like consistant 11.70's and daily driver reliable all in the same package.

Reply #4
Good job on the progress Il be pulling for you. Also with the tweecer you cannot go speed density only maf. I used to have a tweecer rt but got frustrated with it and went standalone SDS and it could not be any easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #5
Hmmm, tell me more about the SDS, I'm all ears. I HATE MAF's and for good reason.

I spent 3 hours at the machine shop today welding together a custom WGA set-up. It's TRICK! No more boost flutter from the  moving around now :P Pics up tomorrow (it's supposed to rain :( ).

Reply #6
Well with my sds I had it running real good like in 3hrs of tunning Im running 52 lbs injectors and 25psi. To tune it there is no laptop just a handheld controller that tells you everything. The only thing that is time consuming with the tunning is the idle when cold but everything else is a walk in the park.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
How long have you had it? How much was it? Who'd you buy it from?

Reply #8
I also placed one more order in at Summit, for a 1035, a dual pod pillar, and some random fittings for the catch can.

Reply #9
can't wait to see how it looks show people what a 2.3 can do baby!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #10
http://www.sdsefi.com/

They have a ton of great info in the Tech/FAQ page. Pretty good prices too

Reply #11
I have had it for like 1 month and a half I bought it from western motorsports the total was $1136 i beleive with a 3 bar map sensor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
That's more then I paid for the SC50R dual ball-bearing turbo!

Reply #13
Yea its expensive but its worth it the other route you can go and have speed density is Mega Squirt I never really looked to much into it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Spent a few more hours on her today. Painted the ported intakes AMC Blue and polished the fins, they look AWESOME. I also painted the sunk letters on the Essy VC and polished the oil cap (and before the ribbing starts, it is the ONLY polished thing under the hood!!!). The new oil cap is really nice and the VC seems to be high quality. I accidently dropped it and the powdercoating didn't chip. I'll report back on how it holds up.

UPS man threw the box at me today, so everything is here except the head itself. It *should* be done tomorrow (I hope). I also managed to fix the leaky trunk and a few wires. Tomorrow the SC50R gets the heat paint, the intakes get finished, install radiator overflow, install battery and hold-down, install oil catch can, finish up the wiring, and hopefully start plopping the head on in the afternoon!