Skip to main content
Topic: gt40p Questions!! (Read 1406 times) previous topic - next topic

gt40p Questions!!

will GT40p headers fit in my enigne bay, and mess have to mess with anything? im hopefully getting a pair of gt40p heads so i just need to know
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #1
Just get a set of the "P" specific headers...or spring for mac f/l headers and you'll be fine.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #2
so they will fit in my engine bay then?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #3
Not even close.
It's Gumby's fault.

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #4
i used bbk's with stock mounts and chucks mounts and the worked fine, im thinking that a lot of the problems everyone has is because there hydraulic mounts have no fluid in them causing the engine to sit lower than normal, and if its the torque strap hitting tpuppies or bending it a little wont hurt anything unless your mounts are shot! ive probly had 4 or 5 t-birds without them at all and havent seen any probs and i beat my cars!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #5
does anybody else have any problems with GT40p heads/headers not fitting right?

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #6
anybody have any problems with GT40ps heads/headers fitting in a 88 thunderbird engine bay?

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #7
??????????????????

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #8
never tried to put a set there.

lol. so I guess the answer would be

"Nope! never had a problem putting GT40ps heads/headers in a 88 thunderbird engine bay"
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #9
There shouldn't be an issue.The heads are going to fit where any other sbf head would fit,and the GT40P headers for a Stang should get you going.They are designed a little different for the angle of the plugs,but a stock H-Pipe will bolt to them,so I can't find a problem if you have the right headers.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #10
I couldn't see you having any problem except you need "P' specific headers or BBK 1515 Stang headers and use 90 degree spark plug boots.

I have no experience with the 87-88 5.0 motor mounts tho.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #11
LOL i couldnt fit my passenger side STOCK mustang header in my car because of the motor mount tab thing with the big square hole in it. had to rig up a bar and block of wood or something i dunno it was a little :hick: but i bent that thing like a 1/4 inch, got it just out of the way.

"if its stupid and it works....it aint stupid."
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #12
I had no problems getting the stock HO headers into my T-bird. I am installing a 5.0 HO with GT-40P heads as we speak and I have the FMS GT-40P specific headers. It looks like the driver's side header will hit the mount but I will find out for sure on Wednesday when I go to install them. I am putting in new motor mounts as well that will be soild instead of liquid filled like the factory ones. The odd thing is that my factory mounts look almost like new but I'm changing them now since it's easier to do with the motor out.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #13
i didnt know they made GT40p headers for mustangs. the only headers i can find are for explorers

gt40p Questions!!

Reply #14
I had the fms gt40p specific headers and they hit the drivers side mount. Just a little bit of cutting!