Skip to main content
Topic: Spring differences? (Read 1050 times) previous topic - next topic

Spring differences?

i went to Auto Zone to price new springs. they asked me if i wanted the standard or the variable springs. what the heck are variable springs? the picture they had looked exactly the same as the "standard" springs. anyone heard of this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:cougarsmily:

Spring differences?

Reply #1
I would ASSume they mean fixed rate or progressive rate springs...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Spring differences?

Reply #2
Variable or cargo coils, as they are sometimes called, produce a variable (increasing) rate of resistance when they are compressed.  Where as a normal spring provides a constant rate of resistance.  They are good for cargo carrying of towing, or just getting rid of the darn sag of the rear of these cars.  I think they are worth the extra ~$20.

FYI, the end with more coils goes up.  Y'all probably knew this but I've seen a few cars with the springs in upsidedown.

Spring differences?

Reply #3
no, i didn't know that, thanks for the tip. saves me from having to post once i get them and start to install. Sounds like the variable or progressinve spring is just what i need. thanks for the input!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:cougarsmily: