Skip to main content
Topic: the 3.8 that could... (Read 4464 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: the 3.8 that could...

Reply #15
yeah, im pretty sure it was the thermostat

amazingly, i went out and started it, fired right up, let it run for about 5 minutes, it ran decent, suprised it wasnt acting up, but there is still no coolant in the car, so i dont know if the headgasket is shot or not

ill have to pull the thermostat and add coolant to find out
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #16
Quote from: Tbird232ci

ill have to pull the thermostat and add coolant to find out

Have fun with those bolts...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #17
if they break, oh well, if not, oh well, im not sweating it since i have a "back up car"
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #18
On My 88 I Had A Leak In The Back Of The Intake Manifold 3.8's Are Notorious For This Problem.

Reply #19
After reading all the posts I was wondering about the head gaskets and related problems. Everyone mention high pressure in the cooling system while the car has head gasket defect of cracked head, right? Isn't it pushing the coolant out to the overfill tank than?

Reply #20
One of my coolant hoses split driving down the road and the coolant spewed onto the hood pad and then onto the block.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #21
you have to take in consideration that that hole for the coolant resivoir can only flow so much air/coolant out of it, and if you blow a gasket, its pumping full compression into the coolant system

some 3.8L's last forever, some die instantly, my dads, and my friends both blew gaskets, mine hasnt
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #22
Plus, the overflow tank in our cars does not behave in the way that most other cars do. Ask any GM owner, "Where do you add coolant to the system?" and they always reply, "In the overflow tank." For us, the way Ford engines love to trap air pockets and whatnot, it's always best in the radiator itself. In almost 20 years of ownership of these cars, I have never EVER seen the overflow tank act as it should (as GM and other cars do). They're just frickin' strange that way. I have coolant in my overflow bottle from probably 5 years ago. The level has never moved up or down. Does it work? You got me. How does it really work? Only the Prestone Gremlins™ know. :)

Reply #23
yah, that threw me the first time that I saw my father-in-law add coolant to my wifes Monte Carslow, he just put it into the over flow untill the full line. Wigged me out. I have always added to the radiator, turned it on to get the bubbles out, re-added to fill back to full then capped it, but that has aways been with fords.