Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 courgar starter problems. (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 courgar starter problems.

Well, our cougar is making this scratching noise or squeeling noice when we switch the starter to fire the car up. It isnt starting, but sounds like it wants too. All i want to know is where it is located, some kind of picture, or a descirption on how we can see where it is. Also we need to know a trick to get it started, something with a screw driver or something bang on it, and it will start up. So we can get where we need to get for tonight.

help us out please.

Re: 1988 courgar starter problems.

Reply #1
not too sure on 3.8 or 5.0 cougars, but if I had to guess (and I could be wrong) it'd be on the right side of the engine..
 however I tend to second guess myself a lot so don't take my word for it, it's got to be either the left or right side of the engine, however... just ahead of the trans, and beneath the headers, try tapping it with a small hammer, or the handle of a larg(er) screwdriver while someone cranks the car.. there's no guaruntee with this however

could be either the starter (likely) or even damaged teeth on the flexplate (less likely)..
good luck!

Reply #2
on my cougar there is a starter solinoid on the drivers side fender wall. It has a red wire from the positive terminal of the battery that goes to it. Mustangs and some earlier cars have the engine setup the oposite was so it will be on the other side I think that only applies to 83-84 cougars and all mustangs
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
First pic: Here's where the starter is on a 5.0
(I really must grab some pics of V6's and 4's some day)  If you lay your head on the right fender, you can just see the side of it, and can tap on it by playing "pool" with a broomstick while someone else turns the key. Usually helps if the starter's brushes are worn or sticking.

Second pic: Typical solenoid on the fender.
You can bypass most of the car's wiring by pulling off the little red-hooded wire, and touching a screwdriver between it and the positive terminal (where the BIG wire from battery connects), or bypass all the wiring and firmly connect the two big terminals together. This sends power to the starter regardless of what the key may be doing.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #4
hey man thanks for the pics, but when you get the thing started, how will you turn it off, put the big red wire on the terminal?

Reply #5
but when you get the thing started, how will you turn it off

Turn the key off. :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
Turn the key off.  :grinno:
No, no, no. The best way to turn it off is to pull a spark plug wire off and touch it to your tongue. Or is that testing for proper voltage? I can never remember.  :wtf:

The little wire with the rubber hood (just pulls off, doesn't unbolt like the big ones) is only a "signal" wire from the key that makes the solenoid activate and send full battery power to the starter. It doesn't do anything else.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!