Skip to main content
Topic: Some info about bumpsteer (Read 3541 times) previous topic - next topic

Some info about bumpsteer

Reply #15
Yeah, I don't think it's meant to extend that much, if at all.  Collapse yes, but extend?  Not so much.

#45 will some out of #47 however....I've done it.

Lowring the rack up to 1" though is not going to lengthen the steering shaft 1".....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #16
I don't think extending the wheelbase moves the P/S rack at all. That would screw up the ackerman.

Hey, if you're doing all this upgrading...you might as well buy a '03-'04 Cobra rack and MM shaft and call it a day (and another $600) ;)

Reply #17
Heh, as a matter of fact I have an 03 Cobra rack, just arrived this week :).  Now to determine if it's really a Cobra rack or not, any ideas?  I'm sure there's a number on it, I just don't know what it's supposed to be.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #19
Sorry to veer off-topic, huge thanks for the link, it appears my 03 Cobra rack is not after all, it's a 99-01 "SJ" rack, I paid 85 shipped for it, I'm going to see what the seller says about it and hopefully work it out the nice way.  Any input appreciated, just PM me.
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #20
Quote from: JeremyB;134797
I don't think extending the wheelbase moves the P/S rack at all. That would screw up the ackerman.

well i cant speak for all aftermarket kmembers, but mine moves the rack with the wheelbase. makes sense to me. push the control arm and spindle forward, move the rack to match.
03 cobra rack, or 00R rack would be nice. not currently in the budget, but maybe one day.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #21
I guess that makes sense from a cheap perspective, but from a performance perspective, moving the rack forward lessens ackerman (not necessarily the end of the world), and moves the engine up an inch (bad for CG).

MM adds 3/4" WB w/o moving the rack forward.

Reply #22
That doesn't give you the best ackerman or engine CG (I assume the engine is moved forward too).

Reply #23
no, the engine is in stock location.

how exactly does moving the rack and spindle TOGETHER affect the ackerman effect, enlighten me? :hick:

[SIZE="1"]
please google "ackerman effect" and "toe out on turns" before responding[/SIZE]

Reply #24
Optimum Ackerman for our vehicles is with the rack moved back a bit. This is still valid when you add SN95 spindles.

I have designed and build suspensions from scratch. I know what Ackerman is.

It is mostly an intellectual point. It isn't going to noticeably affect performance on a road course. In our case (Baja SAE), maneuvering at or near the steering lock was quite important, so we added a ton of Ackerman.

Reply #25
ok fine, im glad you know what ackerman effect is. i still dont see your point that moving the rack with the wheelbase will "screw up the ackerman."

Reply #26
It won't, I don't have any clue why I wrote that.
I reserve the right to withdraw inane posts. :hick:

Where is ADAMS when I need it?

Reply #27
I have a book on RC cars that explains Ackerman, I should dig it out...:hick:
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti