Skip to main content
Topic: Found a Turbo Coupe (Read 1255 times) previous topic - next topic

Found a Turbo Coupe

Hope i dont make this too long. anyways ever since i sent the 87 to the s yard (170k and welded gas tank straps, fuel pump burnt out) i have been looking for a thunderbird project car. i was coming home from work one day and i saw a 1986 turbocoupe for sale. its black with a 5 speed and 169k. anyways the guy wanted $750 but i talked em down to $500 and it looks like the body has minimal rust for its age. it had a leak in the brake line and he said he would fix that before i bought it. i call em up the other day and he said that when he went to move it to fix the brake line the turbo blew up. i think that when he went to move it he beat the  out of it and did that himself thinking some young kid was buyin it (well im 20). anyways when i called him and he told me that he said that he was giving the 8.8 rear end and the tranny to his father for some parts for his 72 nova.  he said that for $300 he will give me the car and let me store it for 3 months minimum till i get the parts to put a 351 in.  i left him a message saying that if i sell my motorcycle during the next week ill have the money for him.(i have 2 people interested so far) he left me a message back asking how much for it...lol... so im hoping i can get the thunderbird, some storage, and $100 - 200... does this sound like its worth it?  by the way i paid 250 for the motorcycle in the fall...(and $40 for the battery and $30 for the manual) so 320...

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #1
Unless the body is mint, I would find another one. Actually what's your location? I may know of a TC right up your alley.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #2
If it's an '86 his father will be disappointed - only 87-88's had the 8.8
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #3
300 is pretty steep

150 sounds more reasonable IMO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #4
A car with no rear or tranny and a blown turbo?

Offer him $50 if you really want a project.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

yea

Reply #5
i live right near worcester ma... he was gonna give it to me for $100 but seeing that i need a place to store it till summer thats another $200... idk... the body is relitively mint with some light rust around a few edges. the only area that looks like a problem is the drivers side fender which i would replace.
i was thinking of just trading the bike for it, gettin a 351 and a 8.8 out of a mustang and having it ready for the summer nationals this year.
i really am not sure if i could find another turbocoupe and have it ready by then, even though i perfer the 87 and 88's...
what kinda parts will i need for the carbed 351w swap. i was already lookin at tubeular k members.... and im not sure of where im gonna get the 351 from yet. i want a year with some ok stock heads and a strong block. thanks...
i told em i have some other people interested in the motorcycle and ill let em know during the week of my final desision.

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #6
i think all of that is worth about 100$ but i have a 1986 turbo coupe and it's amazing, i love this car to death.

Found a Turbo Coupe

Reply #7
OK..the last post in this thread is a year and a half old....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon