Skip to main content
Topic: I'm sure you guys have see this already ... (Read 1845 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm sure you guys have see this already ...

But I'm thinking about this car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/No-reserve_W0QQitemZ280086848549QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem as the auction winds down. But no one has bid on it at all, and that makes me worry. Is it really that hard to replace a head/gasket on a 2.3? I cant find anything on coolcats so i turn to the board to make an informed decision.

Reply #1
head is off the motor, i wonder how bad the pistons are rusted to the block now, cause the motor has been open to elements, even if it was covered. And those autos
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #2
Head gaskets are easy, but as mentioned, it depends on how long the head has been off and how long the cylinders have been exposed to the elements.  It might require you to just pick up another used shortblock to get the car on the road (for a budget solution).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #3
Head gaskets are easy, but as mentioned, it depends on how long the head has been off and how long the cylinders have been exposed to the elements.  It might require you to just pick up another used shortblock to get the car on the road (for a budget solution).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
1. It's an auto, so it's worth about 1/2 of a 5-Speed.

2. It's optionless. The only thing it has (other then the auto) is Premo Sound with EQ and power antenna. No EATC, no auto-dim, etc, etc.

3. It's been sitting so the engine AND trans WILL be questionable.

That said, it's worth $400 and more easily. All of the major $$$ appearance items are there, it's straight, relatively rust free, and could look good quite easily. Go for it!

Reply #5
Thanks guys. I was looking for a new cougar but there never seem to be any within a reasonable distance of mass. Theres a day left to it so maybe if i can figure out how much it will cost to transport it tonight. And yeah i know 400 is cheap now. To think i bought my first one for 200. and he refunded me due to mechanical issues and said use it to fix it instead.  anyways im off to work now so anyone else with an opinion chime in and ill catch it later

Reply #6
I don't know...it looks awful rough. I would really question the engine. I think you'd be better off holding out...maybe save a bit more money to put into something. 

I know how bad you want another car, believe me, we've been 4 years without a Cougar, and it's killed me...but I know the right one is out there for us....it just takes patients to find the one right for you.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #7
Check this one...

Reply #8
Here's another:

This one is a 92 with low miles.

I don't know your price range, but these are pretty low bids at the moment.

Reply #9
Quote from: LittleAngel1198;132092
Check this one...

I hate when people take pictures in the dark. From what I can see it looks pretty clean, but still. :rolleyes:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #10
You could probably triple your money, if not more, on that '88 TC. Interior looks good, hood and header panel look good, and it's got the 3.73 disc brake rear that Mustang guys pay big bucks for. For $400, even if you can't fix it, you can't go wrong. I paid more than double that for my parts car...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11

1. It's an auto, so it's worth about 1/2 of a 5-Speed.

I don't agree,Theres value .
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #12
Yeah the in the dark picts suck....but, it did say they would get some in day light....eventually.

Reply #13
Hey, back from work. Angel, I did see the 88 and said "oooh" but need  to wait it out untill the reserve is met to find out if i could afford it. My budget is like 600 bucks to a max of 1k at a tight stretch. I want a fox so I excluded anything newer than 88 in my searches. I would prefer an 87/88 but would take an earlier model if the price was right. And like I said earlier would prefer another Cat but anything to get back in a bigger more comfortable car. I regret trading mine in the first place.  And as far as condition of the engine\trans, I definitely plan on down the road doing an H.O.\T5 swap in whatever I could get  but I also need something that will run now because I am going to get arrested if I keep pushing my luck with my current car. you'd laugh to see it. maybe I'll post picts later, you tell me.

Reply #14
whatdayatthingatthat...

I'm not the last again, I'm a looser:toilet:

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily: