Skip to main content
Topic: White Lightning! (Read 2331 times) previous topic - next topic

White Lightning!

I've been throwing this idea around for a while now.  I'm far from actually thinking about doing it, but I'm interested in seeing your guy's opinions, so here I go.

The project is just like the name.  I get a white car (thinking Mustang would be easier, but would love to do it to a Turbo Coupe) and convert to to E85.  Of all the alternative fuels, I think that is the most feasible in the present.  I know I could produce the alcohol at home, so that is taken care of.  The reasons I'm thinking about this is
1: It's unique
2: The octane rating is about 106, so it's basicly race gas
3: I just think it would be cool to do

The thing is, I'm not sure on what I need to do to run it.  I know that the fuel lines, o-rings, etc.  must be replaced because of corossion.  The computer (if going EFI) must be recalibrated due to the need for more fuel compared to E10.  And to get the most out of it, compression should be bumped up, calling for a rebuild.  That limits it to E85 only, but increases performance and driveablitiy.

Opinons, ideas, and links welcomed!  This is far, far, far away.  I want to finish one project before I start another:D !
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

White Lightning!

Reply #1
correct me if im wrong, but E85 is 85% ethonal and 15% gasoline, and the octane level of e85 is actually under 100 octane.  like 93 octane or something... but there is E100 which is 100% ethonal and is said to be like 105-110 octane.

anyway, if you could find a reliable good sorce of E100 at a gas station do it... other than that i wouldnt for E85. BUT if you can distil a shiznit load of sugar/corn liquor, go for it.  i still think you'd have to mix the lightining with something tho..

White Lightning!

Reply #2
There's been an AWESOME series of E85 articles the last few issues of Car Craft. E85 is 104-106 Octane and it does not need higher compression at all. Just about 25% "richer" settings due to less "bang" in the fuel. The stoichiometricy is different as well. Definately some cool stuff and if it ever shows up around here I will be all over it.

A White 87 TC 5-Speed with change to blue pin trim and add the 1st Gen "Lightning" decals would rock!

White Lightning!

Reply #3
Shortest and easiest distance to where you want to be is a carb setup. All you need is bigger jets and make sure the fuel system lines and seals are resistant to E100.

In case you didn't know you need a permit from BATF to "brew" at home and you have to "poison" the ethanol to make sure no one  drinks it. They'll bust you for moonshinin' otherwise and since you need 180 proof to make good fuel it'd be White Lightnin' no matter what you call it. :D (Not sure where I read/heard about the permit but it might've been on the DoE website when I was poking around a while back.)

White Lightning!

Reply #4
Don't waste time with a carb set-up.  Install a MegaSquirt ECU and actually TUNE the car.  Your mileage will go down slightly due to the lower efficiency of the ethanol over gasoline.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

White Lightning!

Reply #5
Quote from: doodaa;131612
In case you didn't know you need a permit from BATF to "brew" at home

I figured I would.  I asked the resource cop at my school and the first thing he said was I had to be 21:D .  Doesn't matter to much, since this is for later, but was a good point to think about, since the only station in 3 counties is an hour away. 

The debate of Carb verses EFI was also important.  I was thinking Carb until I saw chips and computers for it.  That Megasquirt looks like it could be very good.  Alot of work, but good.

Aerobird, that design looks sweet in my head!  Might "borrow" it......
351W in the works

You got woman'd.

White Lightning!

Reply #6
Good idea.  But when I distill something out of corn, there never seems to be anything leftover to try running in the car...  But hey, its legal up here.

What is the hight E% you can purchase in the US?  Do stations sell E85 for the newer "flex fuel" vehicles?
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "resource cop."  Like the US equivalent of conservation officers or DNR up here?

White Lightning!

Reply #7
There are some stations all over that sell e-85
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

White Lightning!

Reply #8
While more of a hijack than anything...I ran a mix of at least 85% ethanol (may have been closer to 100%) in my truck last summer...didn't get far, it acted like it was bogging down, or running rich...maybe lean, i dunno...but I ended up having to replace the FPR..now if that was because of the ethanol, I can't say, as the truck was't running very good before the ethanol, either.
There was a HUGE debate spanning several pages of threads over on FTE about this...I think it was roughly determined that up to 25% (E25) ethanol could be burned in an ordinary engine with no noticeable bad effects. Bad side is that ethanol is more corrosive, and will damage some types of fuel systems, and some sensors, etc.
Also, because of the lower stoich. efficiency, engines with higher compression seem to work better than lower compression.
Hell, it's all on google...just look it up, even the laws regarding the stuff. Plus, if ya don't put the toxin in it..you can drink it.

Which reminds me...a buddy of mine made some kinda corn liquor one time, and at a party we were always having, he brought some of the stuff out in a gallon milk jug...interesting thing was...it was pretty good, and made a nice warm tingly feeling in the belly, but..

...it ate the bottom of the milk jug up in just a little bit...:hick:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

White Lightning!

Reply #9
home made stuff is something ill never touch again!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

White Lightning!

Reply #10
I do know that E-85 does not produce as much power (per gallon burned) as gasoline.
You will use >25% more E-85 to put out the same power as gas.

Plus you will pay more for a gallon of E-85 than gas.

It sounds like you pretty much break even on mileage vs price vs power when you compare gas to E-85.

The technology is new and exciting, but time will show what happens with this new product.

I have enough White Lightning at home to keep me happy. See below:;
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

White Lightning!

Reply #11
Yeah I know this stuff can eat through paint, so I wonder what else is can eat.
This site says alot, but is hard to read. It says that it takes a lot of forethought, which makes sense.

This one makes it all sound so easy.  Granted, the car is a little bit newer than ours, but it still sounds a little too easy.  They do make good points on the spark plugs and the fuel filters, though.
351W in the works

You got woman'd.

White Lightning!

Reply #12
White lightning? Where? You got this hillbilly's Attention! Ah just talking about E85 conversion.  I thought some one was having a good time. LOL
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

White Lightning!

Reply #13
Check out http://www.21ponies.com. There's something you can do that's different. Basically the CD is a primer for swapping a 21Hp diesel coupled with an electric motor into a car. He even uses a turbo. Zips right along.

White Lightning!

Reply #14
Quote from: doodaa;131612
Shortest and easiest distance to where you want to be is a carb setup. All you need is bigger jets and make sure the fuel system lines and seals are resistant to E100.

I totally agree on a carb set-up.

The technology is so new it will take awhile to get up to speed.

The corn prices have already started to rise and all the related items related to corn will go up as well.

Seems like racing fuel would be cheaper to use than converting.
Just my .02 c worth.

All I know is that I am having fun at home with my  "White  Lightning" :grinno:

X
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10