Skip to main content
Topic: HO conversion COMPLETE (tons'a pics pg 7,9) (Read 11753 times) previous topic - next topic

HO conversion COMPLETE (tons'a pics pg 7,9)

Reply #135
Quote from: vinnietbird;133542
I know how that feels.......really good.My Bird has surprised more than her share of wannabe's.Our 'Birds and cats are very unsuspecting cars.

Exactly.  There are tons of ricer guys crawling all over the place at school, and there I am in my bone stock looking Tbird...just patiently waiting for a victim to fall into my grasp :evilgrin: .

PS - Beware, my dad is hooked on that flame smiley :hick:

Reply #136
Quote from: kingcars;133603
Exactly. There are tons of ricer guys crawling all over the place at school, and there I am in my bone stock looking Tbird...just patiently waiting for a victim to fall into my grasp :evilgrin: .

yup youll probably get some people pickin fights!

its funny but im hoping some ricer (or anyone really) picks a fight with me sometime this summer when everyone brings their hotter stuff back out. ill be putting tailpipes on sometime soon but shell still have a mean growl. :evilgrin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #137
, that's really nice.  Glad you got everything in and situated on the alotted ammount of time.  Now we just need Zonda to get his issues figured out, and Thunderjet to throw his GT-40p beast in, and we'll have a slew of newer improved cars rolling the streets.  Keep up the great work guys.

Reply #138
I think Zonda did get his problems cleared out, so now it's up to Thunderjet to join to elite HO group :D .

Reply #139
yup hes comin! unfortunately hes gonna whoop our asses with his high-falutin' look-at-me-im-so-amazing GT-40 heads. :D

i gotta be honest, with the gains you can get from them, me want!!!

ill be real happy with the H.O. for a long time but who knows what the future will bring......:evilgrin:

anyone have any idea what percentage of us has done it? obviously not everyone has. (as Jerry Seinfeld) "Not that theres anything wrong with that!!!!!!"  lol i love that episode.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #140
Quote from: kingcars;133794
elite HO group :D .

You guys just wait. My bird will fly soon.
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Reply #141
Quote from: kingcars;133794
I think Zonda did get his problems cleared out, so now it's up to Thunderjet to join to elite HO group :D .

I'm starting some time this week:D . I just have to wait for my buddy to get room in his shop and we'll be going at it. Hopefully between us (and me going to school and work) we can get it done by the 26th which is my spring break. Then I can, uh, test it :birdsmily:

yup hes comin! unfortunately hes gonna whoop our asses with his high-falutin' look-at-me-im-so-amazing GT-40 heads.:D 

Don't forget the 3.73 Trac-Lok and 1&5/8" FMS stailess steel shorties;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #142
it's not just whats under the hood, but you also gotta know how to drive it.  Especially if it has a stick in it like mine.

Reply #143
Dont worry, my dad has been teaching me how to drive a manual transmission (in the Chevelle no less :D ).  I was able to launch the car without stalling on my 2nd try, and I'm getting pretty good at it.  I've also been manual shifting the AOD :D .  The car responds so much better when I do that haha.

Reply #144
the chevelle's a stick!? niiiiiiice. not too many of em did.

also im not sure if manually shifting the aod at all is a good idea. i just think i read on coolcats that its hard on em.

Reply #145
I've also been manual shifting the AOD  . The car responds so much better when I do that haha.

Until it blows up:flame:  Get a shift kit and a tranny cooler.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #146
Quote from: ZondaC12;133964
the chevelle's a stick!? niiiiiiice. not too many of em did.

also im not sure if manually shifting the aod at all is a good idea. i just think i read on coolcats that its hard on em.

In my family, its against the rules to have a muscle car with an automatic :hick: .

I don't know what this whole idea about the AOD and T5 being weak trannys is all about...a lot of times, it comes down to maitenence and how well everything is taken care of.  My Uncle, due to budget constraints, is using dad's old Saginaw transmission (made for a small block) on his 427 and it works fine, as long as he doesnt abuse it.  It's not like I constantly shift the car and beat on it.  If I did, then I'd worry about the tranny.  But every once in a while isn't going to harm it, unless it's just EXTREMELY py, which I doubt since it has gone 128,000 miles without issue.

Reply #147
shiznit a t-5 can take a bit i have one behind my 351w not that it likes it to much. not sure how much it can take for power, since when i rebuild it this summer, i decided its getting bumped up a little, a little hotter ROLLER cam,possibly some flat tops. should be saweet. O and im working on getting those flows
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #148
Quote from: kingcars;134000

I don't know what this whole idea about the AOD and T5 being weak trannys is all about...a lot of times, it comes down to maitenence and how well everything is taken care of.

Make some real power, and youll find out how "strong" they really are.

The AOD and T5 are NOT made to handle more power than stock. Just because they do for a little while doesnt mean theyre a strong trasmission. Regarless of maintenence and whatnot, most modified HO's is enough to break a T5 with a sticky tire.

Ive seen em broken from a mustang with intake and exhaust.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #149
Quote from: daboss351;134015
shiznit a t-5 can take a bit i have one behind my 351w not that it likes it to much. not sure how much it can take for power, since when i rebuild it this summer, i decided its getting bumped up a little, a little hotter ROLLER cam,possibly some flat tops. should be saweet. O and im working on getting those flows

Sweet, it should be a really strong engine.  Ah cool, the flows would be a nice addition to my HO :) .

And yes, I realize the AOD and T5 aren't meant for much more than stock, but thats all I have - a stock HO.  For my purposes, it will serve me fine.  Thats all I'm sayin.  :)