Skip to main content
Topic: Global warming? (Read 6341 times) previous topic - next topic

Global warming?

Reply #30
Quote from: Ifixyawata;127824
No explanation?  Yeah, thought so.

I guess it must be that the sun is getting too hot and heating our planet too much.  I could give a shiznit about this anyway.  I pray for nuclear holocaust every minute.

you must be in a reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllll bad mood today,,,

it kinda outof character for you. Keep saying things like that and i wont feel so bad for being and ahole all the time:D

Global warming?

Reply #31
I can probably count the number of white christmases we've had in Nova Scotia since my teens on half a hand. When I was a child we lived in the snow for the better part of the winter. I remember my Dad having to buy a snow blower for the tractor, which now spends pretty much all of its time sitting in the bushes. I had a Green lawn up until late December this year, and my Mother pulled carrots out of the garden for CHRISTMAS DINNER!

Call it bizarre, I'll call it disturbing.

We know the Greenhouse Effect is a reality in Urban Environments, due to smog. Why is it such a stretch to think the same thing can happen on a global scale?

And it begs the other question. If there is a chance we are killing our planet, do you really want to take that risk? I'd rather have cleaner air on false reasoning, than be red faced when half the world looks like Venice.

Global warming?

Reply #32
Quote from: jcassity;127868
you must be in a reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllll bad mood today,,,

it kinda outof character for you. Keep saying things like that and i wont feel so bad for being and ahole all the time:D

Yeah, I was in a real pissy mood (no sleep in 30+ hours and was heading in to work another shift) and just decided to take my already foiled argument one step further. My apologies, you guys.  I don't know thing one about global warming, just arguing for the sake of argument.  I take it all back. :toilet:

Global warming?

Reply #33
I need three weeks of nice global warming so I can finish my car,then we can go back to normal.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Global warming?

Reply #34
FYI, another thing I read was that global warming does not cause warmer winters...to the contrary, it causes winters to be worse with more storms and more snow.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Global warming?

Reply #35
The only thing i've noticed (this might be b/c i moved 2 states north) but i need a good whole week of consistant temps, humidity, and rain for my paint project to cure correctly... i've been waiting now for about a month, month and a half and i still dont feel like i have the chance yet.  if its not raining its bitter ass cold, if its not humid its snowing, if its not snowing its raining... if its not cold its bitter ass cold. all fluxing during the week >.>

Fascinating article on accelerated temperature rise in Northeast...

Reply #36
Fascinating article on accelerated temperature rise in Northeast - especially in wintertime...

Apparently the heating is occuring more in the northern hemisphere, and more in the northern parts of the northern hemisphere. 1 degree for the planet, 2 degrees for the northern hemisphere, 4 degrees for the northeast. The imbalance of the heating is something to think about.

This is a real phenomenon that has resulted in temperatures increasing at a rapid rate since I was born (1961). I am not sugesting that I know what the cause is, but the CO2 data is hard to explain without looking at the human contribution. Read the personal accounts below - entire industries that depend on the cold and snow are drying up on the 45th parallel here in New England. Very interesting even if the causes are non completely understood (is it just a cycle?) ...

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/articles/2007/01/28/winter_warm_up_costing_ne_region/

MASON TOWNSHIP, Maine -- The eight Alaskan huskies strained against their dogsled harnesses, eager to pull two vacationing boys through the hilly woods of western Maine.

But there was no dogsled -- because there was only an inch or so of snow. Instead, the yipping dogs were tethered to a gray golf cart. Steve Crone, the owner of New England Dogsledding, eased into the cart next to the youngsters, then gave a yell. The dogs took off. On steep hills, Crone pressed the gas pedal to help the huskies haul the heavy cart.

"We'd rather have snow," said Crone, with an embarrassed smile. He needs about 6 to 12 inches of snow to run the sleds properly. "But the weather has changed over the years, and we have to get more creative."

Records show New England's climate, the catalyst behind fiery orange foliage and deep-woods Nordic ski treks, is dramatically warming -- and altering the region's character and economy as it does.

AUDIO SLIDESHOW: Ice fishing with no ice
 GRAPHIC: Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere
 GRAPHIC: Warmer New England winters
 GRAPHIC: Climate change -- heard along the 45th parallel
 More from the series on climate change in New England 

During the last century, the average annual temperature in New England increased 2 degrees Fahrenheit. And just since 1970, average winter temperatures have risen 4.4 degrees. The changes have meant less snow on the ground and thinner ice on lakes. Over the past 30-plus years, rising temperatures have pushed spring to begin a week or more earlier and the growing season to expand more than 10 days in some places.

For decades, scientists have studied the earth's polar regions to better understand global warming, the phenomenon that most climate scientists say is largely being caused by burning fossil fuels, which release heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere. Long vertical tubes of ice drilled from Antarctica's surface have revealed atmospheric conditions dating back 650,000 years. buttstuffysis of these ice cores and the rapid melting of Arctic sea ice and glaciers have provided strong evidence of warming in the past century -- and the serious long-term threat it presents.

Now, scientists are also dospoogeenting the effects of sustained warming in more temperate zones such as New England, where even subtle changes can have an enormous impact on the millions of people who live in the region.

Many of the observed changes in New England are consistent with computer models that project the response of the region's climate to global warming. Yet scientists are just beginning the complex study of how local regions are affected by the worldwide phenomenon. They have many unanswered questions, including why New England winters are warming so much faster than the other seasons.

Nowhere in New England are the winter time changes more evident than around the 45th parallel -- the latitude halfway between the equator and the North Pole. The line runs along the Vermont-Canada border and slices through the logging forests of Northern New Hampshire and Central Maine before heading into the Atlantic off Perry, Maine.

I sniped the pictures from the article - they are very telling:

Here are comments from people who have been affected by the warming - this is serious stuff up here!!

4 degree average rise in winter temperatures where I live in the past 36 years - that's a huge increase!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Global warming?

Reply #37
Quote from: vinnietbird;127886
I need three weeks of nice global warming so I can finish my car,then we can go back to normal.

:hick:.
One 88

Global warming?

Reply #38
Quote from: oldraven;127875
I can probably count the number of white christmases we've had in Nova Scotia since my teens on half a hand. When I was a child we lived in the snow for the better part of the winter. I remember my Dad having to buy a snow blower for the tractor, which now spends pretty much all of its time sitting in the bushes. I had a Green lawn up until late December this year, and my Mother pulled carrots out of the garden for CHRISTMAS DINNER!

You can definitely see a difference in Nova Scotia - there were times that the temp hit almost 70 in January this year. I remember as recently as 1990 we had six snowmobiles and used them regularly. We sold 'em off in the early 90's after a few open winters (and had quite a job selling them). At least a full decade of open winters went by (I'd tell people "It doesn't snow in NS anymore), and the lakes even stopped freezing. Then  we had a few snowy winters - 2001/02, 2002/03, 2003/04 and 2004/05 we had a whole bunch of snow on the ground all winter. 03/04 was particularly bad, as we had a major snowstorm in November 03 and an absolutely retarded snowstorm in Feb 04 (39" in 24 hours, driven by 70MPH wind, the storm was nicknamed "White Juan").

04/05 was almost as bad, with another major November storm and several back-to-back storms starting just after Christmas and adding up to almost "White Juan" levels but over a week instead of a day. We bought snowmobiles again, and for these few years the snow was actually sometimes too deep for snowmobiling (I got the Formula stuck one night at 2:00AM and took almost two hours to dig it out).

Now, last season (05/06) and this season there has been no snow. Actually, I lied - right now there is about 6" of snow on the ground that fell last night as the result of "Snow squalls" (cold air blowing over warm water and dumping the moisture over land - this was the first time I'd ever in my life seen Environment Canada issue a snowsquall warning on Mainland Nova Scotia), and it's the most snow we've had on the ground in two years. I have yet to use the snowmobiles this year, and have used the plow once (and even that was only because I wanted to play with it). Another odd thing about this year is the very warm and rainy early January, but very cold and dry February.

There has been some mighty strange weather the past half decade. This is what you missed while out west, Oldraven:

• November 2002: Rainstorm, 4" of rain in 12 hours washed out many roads
  • November 2003: early November snowstorm, a foot of wet, heavy snow fell on trees that still had their leaves, causing major power outages
  • March 2003: Another rainstorm, this time combining 8" of rain, very warm temperatures, and the melting of about a foot of snow. This caused several bridges to wash out, flooded the towns of Truro and Bedford, and widespread other flooding - I actually bought my T-Bird the day after this storm and had to drive it through a flooded roadway to get it home
  • September 2003: Hurricane Juan, a category 2 hurricane with 100MPH (gusting to almost 160) winds slammed into Halifax, killing eight people and causing millions in damage. Power was out for up to three weeks as countless trees fell on wires - Point Pleasant Park alone lost 60,000 of its 80,000 trees
  • February 2004: White Juan, a snowstorm packing 70MPH sustained winds dumped 95.5 cm (39") of snow on Halifax in less than 24 hours. The city was shut down for almost a week
  • November 2004: Another early November storm, this one dumping almost two feet of wet, heavy snow. Several major power transmission towers collapsed under the weight, resulting in more widespread power outages (Nova Scotia Power is on everyone's shiznitlist by now). I was in the woods hunting during this storm and almost got trapped back there by fallen trees - I just drove the Cherokee through and/or over them. Didn't do the paint much good and broke a headlight and the grille, but I got home
  • January 2005: Several moderate snowstormshiznit within days of each other, resulting in almost three feet of snow on the ground
And since then... nothing of note, except a very warm January this year.

I dunno what or who is causing it, but there is something going on with this weather...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Global warming?

Reply #39
Here, last year in October we got a snowstorm with a bunch of wet snow that caught all the trees with leaves on them, knocked down lots of branches, caused widespread power outages. After that it snowed maybe two more times the whole winter.

Couple months later, it was in the 60s in December and January- I remember one evening that I was working over christmas break and I left work at 9 PM, and drove home with my window down on my car.

This year it was unseasonably warm through the end of November...however, through January/Feb we got probably more snow than we had the two previous winters combined.

:dunno:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Global warming?

Reply #40
Over the last three days we've had the coldest temps in Chicago in almost 10 years. It's been below zero for three days and today we got 3 inches of snow. A *big* snow storm in Chicago is about 12" which isn't much for Canada but for here it's alot. We haven't had one of those since 2005 but this winter has been odd. It snowed here in October which was unseasonably cold. Then November was kinda warm. The first week of December sucked. We got 6" of snow and below 20* temps. Then from the middle of December to the Middle of January it was hard pressed to get below 32*. Sometimes we had highs near 50* in late December. Then all of a sudden around the 16th of january it got cold. The last 4 weeks in a row we've gotten between 1-2" of snow each week and it's been cold especially this past few days. What ever is causing it I still hate winter:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Global warming?

Reply #41
I can't wait till I'm able to grow pineapples at my house  and go deep sea fishing from central Iowa when all the ice caps melt. its going to be great.

heres a lil more to think about the temps are raising thats a fact what ever they may be caused by but are you really scared bout the 2-3 degree avg. that they have?  I'm not.  Would you really give up those 2-3 degrees to go back to living with out all the moden convinces we have. I wouldn't.  It does amaze me how alot of the people talking bout global warming say"in 100 years the world will be like this".  they can say whatever they want cuz most of us won't be around in 100 years.

yes I do have kids and I think bout there future but I also think bout all the propoganda too.  Al Gore preaches that we should all stop useing fossil fuels yet he rides in a private jet to take him any where he owns 4 differnt homes 2 in tenn 1 in va 1 in san fran how much fossil fuel is he and his wife useing to heat cool and light those props.

THe other thing I heard yesterday was that Hillary wants to divert most of the profits that oil companys make towards gobal warming research.  why?  so they can charge us more crazy

ok all I can say I good luck to every one

Global warming?

Reply #42
The oceans rose 7" in the last century and will likely rise quite a bit more in this century - making political references to people whose politics you disagree with isn't going to change the fact that this is an issue we probably should be concerned about. But whatever, people are going to make this political until something really bizzare actually happens, then it will surely be too late to do anything. If folks understood anything about the amount of thermal mass that the earth has and how much energy it takes to create a 1 degree average rise, we might set the politics aside and actually think about the future of our children. Right now it's only a few tropical islands dissapearing that nobody really cares about - when there are 500,000,000 refugees from a low-lying area looking for a place to live, then we get the slap in the face.

Global warming?

Reply #43
congress has made the first move to decrease carbon emissions.,,,, They will introduce a bill to ban smoking in your car while driving or sitting inside it.  Not healthy for kids,, i smoke but even with the window down, you will still go to jail.,, yep jail.  So remember what you say when you talk about "doing something" about a problem.

Congress will always find a stupid solution.

Global warming?

Reply #44
Clearly since we can all think of examples where the government does something stupid - then we shouldn't ever try to do anything about any possibly earth changing issue right???

C'mon people - let's at least try to be considerate of a real issue versus one of those political issues we all like to bring up when we don't agree about an issue. Clearly smoking in a car has no bearing on the rising of oceans and possible changing of world climate patterns. I could spend all day insulting your favorite politician - so we leave the future of the planet up to chance because we were too ed cynical and lazy to use our god-ed brains. WTF?