Skip to main content
Topic: Going to look at a cougar (Read 769 times) previous topic - next topic

Going to look at a cougar

I'm going to go and look at a 95 cougar 4.6 car. Any things I should look out for? I know the owner said it needs a grill, fender, hood. I got the info from the guy himself while I was at work. The car is a steal of a deal. He did say it starts and runs good just needs body work. I won't tell you how much but I will tell you it is under $500.00 Sometimes working at a parts store has its advantages. LOL
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
sounds like its been wreaked, check the frame underneath make sure u don't see any cracks, or bends in it.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #2
It ain't a fox,So it must be ugly.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Check the transmission fluid for color, smell, etc.
It should have the 4R70W transmission, which seems to be more reliable than the AOD of earlier years. Check it anyway, and see if it has an aftermarket cooler - that would be nice. Otherwise, install one if you buy it.
Other than that, they are pretty reliable cars. That 4.6 has the "violin box" intake which is somewhat restrictive. You could do a lot to wake up some power.

Quote from: kitzdnm;127483

That's just strong, well-grounded logic right there...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Talked  to Ed the owner tonight. Going to look at it Sunday afternoon. The guy even told me where he found the bosy parts for real cheap. Hood $25, Fender $20. Damm sound better and better. Also he bought it for the Ac  compressor but only took off the clutch. Starts and runs. He said he dorve it home. 20miles front where he bought it. He did take the fender off though.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
Quote from: kitzdnm;127483

I'm in this camp.

Reply #6
I've got 3 fox's just looking at this as a back up DD so I can work on my 84 T/c more instead of just useing it as a DD.  I was gonna get the 85 XR7 legal but getting a title for it is a drawn out process. Ilove the fox's but need to have some thing to use DD duty so I can take the time to get the body and everything done without worring about putting it back together to go to work.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
Quote from: xjeffs;127539
I'm in this camp.

yup. lol :flip:

no but seriously i try hard to like em. i want to because theyre the last of our cars' kind--v8 rwd coupes. but i just cant. too bland.

still better than your average car though. definitely will make a good dd!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane