Skip to main content
Topic: fuel pump locations (Read 2381 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel pump locations

I know most of you would say get under the car n look but im curious to get a rough idea where the inline pump is on my 84 mercury cougar with 3.8 CFI... if memory serves properly there is a high pressure pump IN the tank.. and a low pressure "pusher" pump inline somewhere... could anyone tell me where bouts? and also how would you remove the fuel tank sending unit/pick up?

fuel pump locations

Reply #1
Low pressure lift pump in the tank.  High pressure pump inline.

The inline pump is inside the rear pass side subframe rail where the RLCAs attaches to the car, opposite the ler.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

fuel pump locations

Reply #2
ok thank you chuck......... btw do u know what kind of pressure just that in tank pump would produce on its own? low enough for a carbed motor?

fuel pump locations

Reply #3
I think that the lift pump in the tank is only 5-7psi. Just enough to get the gas out of the tank and into the booster pump. I'll check what the spec book at work says the lifter pump psi and GPH should be.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

fuel pump locations

Reply #4
Dunno of the exact pressure, but my old carb turbo Pace Car was running an EFI tank with just the lift pump and no regulator.  I didn't set it up that way (got it like that).  Seemed to work fine for a turboed 2.3.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

fuel pump locations

Reply #5
The '84 shop manual doesn't give a pressure spec for the low pressure pump.

The test proceedure:
1. Remove inlet push connect fitting and line from high pressure pump. (Caution: Raise end of fitting above level of fluid in tank to prevent siphon action.)

2. Connect  hose from the fuel tank to a calibrated container of at least one quart.

3. Place the ignition switch in Run position until fuel pump times out. (About one second)

3. The container should contain a minimum of 1.5 oz. (45ml) of fuel for one second of operation.

fuel pump locations

Reply #6
mk... thank you

fuel pump locations

Reply #7
On the 1989 F-150 300ci EFI of My friend, the second pump (inline) pressure is around 40-45 psi...

I guess is the same for all direct injected engines...

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

fuel pump locations

Reply #8
im lost,, what are you guys talking about,,,,, A SECOND PUMP?

fuel pump locations

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;126702
im lost,, what are you guys talking about,,,,, A SECOND PUMP?

Yes, the first time I see that is on a F-150 pick-up 300 ci fuel injected, the issue was a "high flow pump", but when I go under the truck I hear a pump, that's okay for Me, but not in reality...

The first pump just suck from the sender to the fuel line, and the second raise up at around 40psi to the FI system, I guess when the first pump are sucked by the high pressure pump, there  just a pass trough, or give to the second pump the minimum flow to gave the engine at the idle...

It's just My opinion, and theory, but never scrounger for why...

Best regards,

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

fuel pump locations

Reply #10
are you guys saying my cougar and everyone else's car here has a second fuel pump?,, sorry to sound stupid here but geshhh,,, its news to me.

a standard in the tank bosch presure is about 60psi there abouts.  the regulator loops back the excess dumping 40 on the injectors. 

im pretty sure i can see my fuel lines all the way down the subframe until they creep up into the fender well forward of the pass door.

if you are only refering to the f150,, yeah, i was aware of that as well but your first post says different as well as all the replies.

i swear im not going crazy but as soon as i saw your quesiton and the replies,, i felt like i was from mars or something.

fuel pump locations

Reply #12
From the '84 shop manual:
Town Car, Crown Vic and Grand Marquis have one high pressure pump in the tank.

Mark VII/Continental, T-Bird/Cougar, LTD/Marquis and Mustang/Capri have two pumps. Low pressure in the tank, high pressure in-line.

The in-line pump is mounted with the filter just forward of the right rear wheel.

They must have discontinued the two pump system in later years.

fuel pump locations

Reply #13
eric,, this is an interesting factoid,, i think the 84 specific fuel setup needs added to the tech link on coolcats.  i have had two 84's with cfi, one was a v8 and the other was a v6.  I have no knowledge of this,,,

anyone with an 84 model,, can you check to see if your car has this?

84fila,, you should have it also.

softtouch,, have you seen this pump on your car?

i think its good to know stuff when someone complains about fuel issues and most of us would not make mention of the difference this model has.  perhaps the 83 has the same.,,anyone?????

fuel pump locations

Reply #14
jcassity when i get the chance ill check my cougar for 2 pumps to be sure
the 83 tbird/cougar as far as the 3.8 and 5.0 some had pump's on the engine and some had electric pump in the tank... which is why im lookin for the pick up/sending unit from 83 with pump ON engine so i can do this right