Skip to main content
Topic: Need "88ish Front Clip (Read 658 times) previous topic - next topic

Need "88ish Front Clip

Both fenders, hood, bumper, grille, lights, etc.Located in Maryland area.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #1
first check the boneyards around your area.  thats the best thing to do b/c 87-88 tc's are hard to come by let alone just the cosmetics of the front end.  some people here have cars they're parting out, but you need to just find a complete parts car.  then you can part it out on here and make a profit :D

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #2
well...... for one id specify cougar or thunderbird front end and also if its turbo bird or not...... other than that autocat's on the right track

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #3
Its actually a std cougar. Its my son's car. He rear ended someone last year and abandoned the car at my house. Decided he *absolutely* had to have a Mitsubishi Eclipse , then couldn't make his payments! Now he's come to the realization that the "old cougar" wasn't that bad after all! 
It really doesnt matter with regard to the parts. If I'm correct, the t-bird and cougar lines match up the same. Is that so?? Hell, when he wrecked it, I had a spare lincoln mark vii in my yard, it looked to me that everything from that would bolt right up, though the lines wouldnt match. I offered to help him swap everything over, but he had "rice fever".
Hey he's 18 and has to learn that "paid for" is PAID FOR, and "debt" is DEBT!!
Anyway, I think that any of the big foxes should work , as long as both fenders, hood , core support and grille/bumper are changed. No?
:rice:

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #4
i dont think the front ends are the same between thunderbird and cougar... at least for 83-86 i know they are not and im pretty sure for 87-88 they are not also  you can do a swap between the thunderbird and cougar... and also the lincoln mark vii  should work.
with changing the grill/bumper,core support lights n so forth it should work pretty good but some other people like EricCoolCats and Chuck W would be able to give you more guidance with fitment n so forth

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #5
Yeah, that's why I said it doesn't matter 'cause the whole front metal and bumper are gone. the car still drives ok and nothing leaks or ses, it just needs something to cover the engine and wheels, and hold the radiator and lights in place. I was telling him when I had the mark vii for parts that he could have a the only "Lincoln Mercury" in the area! He wasn't amused.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #6
Uhh...
I don't think anything from a Mark VII will bolt up - especially not the hood. I wouldn't even try it.

You should be able to use '87-'88 Thunderbird/Cougar parts to build the "dog house." The fenders and hood are the same, but you will have some fitment issues if you try to mix the bumper cover and header panels.
The '83-'86 parts are also similar but with totally different headlights, which you would have to rewire.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #7
If you get all the parts from the same car you'll have no problem, be it T-Bird or Cougar. Like CougarCragar said, though - if you get a Thunderbird header panel you'll need a Thunderbird bumper cover, and if you get a Cougar header panel you'll need a Cougar bumper cover. The rest of the parts (fenders, hood) are identical, and the lines will be the same unless you change body style (83-86 vs 87-88)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #8
Email sent.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #9
Chip, didn't I meet you back in May in NorthEast at the meet?

I've been all over and haven't been able to find any Cougars at any yards between Bel Air and Elkton. There are a couple 87-88 T-Birds in a yard right off route 40 before you get to Havre de Grace. I'll get their exact location and so on if want it.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #10
Ive seen an 87-88 cougar in the junkyard with a TC front end on it... didnt necessarily fit right...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #11
Quote from: 5.0willgo;126473
Chip, didn't I meet you back in May in NorthEast at the meet?

I've been all over and haven't been able to find any Cougars at any yards between Bel Air and Elkton. There are a couple 87-88 T-Birds in a yard right off route 40 before you get to Havre de Grace. I'll get their exact location and so on if want it.

Yeah, I was there with the gray "88 Mark. You had the white 5.0 Cougar, right?
And sure, if you don't mind getting the locations. I'm trying to get real cheap (like close to free, if possible) stuff if I can find 'em. There seems to be a lot of dead Birds and Cats in people's driveways and back yards that you see all of the time, until of course you need them.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #12
Yeah, that was me.
Here are the only places I know of that have T-birds/Cougars.
There's B&H auto in Elkton. There website is http://www.bandhauto.com/
They are like Crazy Rays, pay a fee and pull your part. According to their online inventory, they don't have any 87-88 cars but do have an 86 T-bird and an 85 Cougar. Pricing won't be the greatest though.

The other place is off of route 40 right where route 7 goes into Havre de Grace. I don't remember the name of the place and can't seem to find it in the phone book. They had 3 87-88 Thunderbirds and none had any front end damage. I don't know what they charge though. They also had a nice looking Mark.
I pinpointed it through google maps so...
map1
map2
map3
Sorry, I got a little carried away, but it should help you at least find the place.

I was directed there by A-1 auto sales/salvage. A-1 is the place you see directly on 40 (on the map) but they sent all of their T-Birds/Cougars to the crusher.

Need "88ish Front Clip

Reply #13
How About Me Check Misc>
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +