Skip to main content
Topic: It's time to work on the Bird... (Read 6056 times) previous topic - next topic

It's time to work on the Bird...

Reply #60
i though the 351M was a modified 302? cause you can bore a 351w way more then you can a 302? my mind is in to many places to know if im right or not. it was a 289, still have a lot of the parts from it like a dual carb intake and a few other things. the 351w is way more fun
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #61
Hi!,

Check closer between an old 302 and 351W, this is basically the same block, the major changes was the crank and the stroke, and maybe the bore a bit (My ole manuals is in the garage)...

The M400 is basically the same block of a 351C, with some changes like 303-351W.

429 and 460 are the same block too, but at this size You will be anything with that without issues.

My ole Mercury Cyclone spoiler 429 was punched 460 at the rear of the block, I see this when I changed the transmission.

Curious thing, in a Fors, it was a 360ci truck block, and basically the same of a 390, and the 360 was a gas eater without torque, the 390 (same block) was powerful and not a gas eater, it's curious...

This kind of mod blocks is not just in a Ford, GM, Chrysler do the same, BUT without same "flop" as some fords blocks.

Regards,

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #62
then whats a 351M? i heard they suck compared to 351w
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #63
Quote from: daboss351;132139
then whats a 351M? i heard they suck compared to 351w

YES, the 351M or M400 is a nightmare engine, was very popular in the 1970's and 80's, but was a sucker, gas conmption, no powr for the consumption, and generally arouns 100k the engine was out.

the 351M400 was a real flop from Ford, a good 351C or 429/40 was much better and longer life without a prob's...

the only good thing with a M400 it was a popular in 4bbl versions, and 351C was very popular in 2bbl versions, the the "fun" of this is to go at the JY and grab a M400 4V intake for a couple of bucks, and it'd direct fit onto the 351C.

Same for the 351W and 302 intake, they fit one to another.

Dom.

Reply #64
O i get it now, sorry kind of out of it...
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #65
Quote from: daboss351;132142
O i get it now, sorry kind of out of it...

No prob's there, it's open to all :D

Dom.

Reply #66
The 351W has a higher deck height than the 5.0.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #67
Quote from: vinnietbird;132181

YES, but have the same pattern as a 302, many parts are interchangeable between these twins...

BYe Vinnie,

Regards,

Dom

Reply #68
Quote from: vinnietbird;132181

along with a wider intake,and differant oil pan rail, ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #69
It's near to be painted...

I'll guess I paint the Bird next week or other week, sanded at all, need some little touch of finishing to sand, remove the doors handles, unjack, and paint, YEAH!!!...

Pic 1: general view of left side.
Pic 2: front view.
Pic 3: Rear, bumper reassembled, ect, (note the finishing is done on the trunklid)...

After all, reinstall all the trims and shiznit...:hick: :D

Have a nice Day,

Dom.

Reply #70
Nice work !!! Getting closer all the time.I spent about 3 hours last Saturday sanding on mine.I still have about 1/2 the car to go,and to fill a few little dings,but no big deal.I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the TC scoops on mine.I can't have them open to weather forever,it sucks water all over my engine,and once I polish everything again under the hood I want it to look good.I think I'll take the TC scoop duct and cut it up and see if there's a way to re-route the air to an air box for ram air.I won't have the fan shroud much longer as we're going to install an electrc fan.Time is the hard part.There's just not enough to go around.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #71
Hi Vinnie!,

Yeasss!, another Bird ready for the spring:D , Do You paint Yourself or do the paint By another???...

I'll paint mine myself, I'm not a great painter, but all of the cars I painted go out very clean....

Save lost of money!!!!...

Have a nice Day,

Dom.

Reply #72
I'll do the bodywork,and let my friend paint it.He owns a Maaco,and he only charges me for the supplies,not the labor.He did the Blue car nearly 4 1/2 years ago,and it still shines and looks great.....except in the wrecked areas where it got hit.LOL.

Reply #73
Hey vinnie, be sure to post back if you get any ideas with the TC hood.  I have one sittin in the garage waiting to be painted and put on my car and I always wondered if there was a way to actually use the scoops on a 5.0 instead of just letting water and junk pour in.

Reply #74
you could possibly use the piping form the scoops, and make a small box that seals to it with a air filter not sure how youd deal with the water,
my $300 beater ;)