Skip to main content
Topic: It's time to work on the Bird... (Read 6063 times) previous topic - next topic

It's time to work on the Bird...

Reply #15
Almost finished...

pic#1 front fender bumbed finished repair...
Pic#2 Left Rear fender finished (the big rotted one in a pic on another post).
Pic#3 Right rear fender finished too...

For the rest of the car, it's only a couple of minors bumps here and here, nothing to post here...

After the lunch, I'll remove all of the chrome trims around the car, all the interior seats, all keylocks, ect, ect, and finish the  TC hood...

This week I'll seal the rear fenders by the interior, repaint the entire bottom of trunk, sandblast the sufrace rust under the doors and prime it, remove the drivers front fender to found where is the  water leak, remove the front bumper cover to install the TC front I'll probably receive around Feb 15, remove the little silver stripes around the car, remove mirrors, door handles, and sanding the car all around with a 180 and 320 grit, then two entire layers of prime on the Bird...

Here's the pics "Daboss351":hick:

Have a nice Day,

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #16
My car is gonna be black, with black vinyl top, and black interior, and brushed aluminum rims. its gonna be saweet
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #17
Quote from: daboss351;127610
My car is gonna be black, with black vinyl top, and black interior, and brushed aluminum rims. its gonna be saweet

Hi,

What car, the stang or a fox car???, personally I love the black old stangs, black interior too, My Mercury cyclone was black and blsck interior too, Unfortunately My Bird is dark blue interior, and With a black exterior I'll guess i'll hate this, so, I'll repaint dark blue metallic (Ford 1990 code B2)...

Well, I'm tired, I totally disassembled the Bird, all the chrome trims, locks, int door panels, back seats, I'll pull out the front seats tomorrow (due to My back pain), and I'll remove the drivers side front fender cauz I have a water on the floorpan and in the rocker panel...

It's not at the bottom of the windshield, not upper firewall area, I'll guess I'll found when the front fender will be out!!!...

Now, I'll take a couple of pills for My back and go back on the tv to relax a bit...

Best regards,

Dom.

Reply #18
my fox bird is dead lol, the frame rail rotted, and was used for the interior parts, and trans in my dads new silver one, and the body is well past saving, so the motor is going into a ranger. And yea thats what im doing to my stang its my baby. Your doing a awesome job, and its coming out great, can't wait to see it done, and got any pics of the metallic blue it was?
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #19
Nice work so far! Keep us posted on your progress.
I can't wait until I tear into the body on my '86 and get it prepared for paint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
Quote from: daboss351;127744
my fox bird is dead lol, the frame rail rotted, and was used for the interior parts, and trans in my dads new silver one, and the body is well past saving, so the motor is going into a ranger. And yea thats what im doing to my stang its my baby. Your doing a awesome job, and its coming out great, can't wait to see it done, and got any pics of the metallic blue it was?

It's not repairable???, cauz the unibody cars like the fox birds/cougar it's so easy to repair, but if the floorpan is rotted a lot too, leave for the parts, it's noty rare enough to repair VERY damaged 83-88 birds/coug's, for Your stang it's another thing, I rebuilted one over 20 years ago when I worked in a body garage, changed the front of the stang (69 or 70 Mach 1) complete, firewall included, it was a big job, but the mach one like this was very rare 20 years ago, Your stang too...

The next pics I'll post of My car is when I'll all on the grey primer with the TC bumper...

So, I removed the drivers front fender this evening, and found WHERE the water leak was, I'll go to repair this just after this post, and put out the front seats to clean and paint the floor, and dry the backing of the carpet (it's wet a bit)...

I'll probably remain with a pics of before and after of the rotted parts where the water leak was...

Best regards,

Dom.

Reply #21
Quote from: cougarcragar;127750
Nice work so far! Keep us posted on your progress.
I can't wait until I tear into the body on my '86 and get it prepared for paint.

Thanks for the good words, I made My possible, but I started in a bodywork at age of 13, I have 42 now!, but I'm a bit pissed off to do the bodywork, It's cauz it's My car and a job of over 5k to do in a garage, and I dont trust anyone in a body shop except some real good places, bit it's a bit rare...

And NO, don't wait t'il Your car start to rust or rotted here and here, it's 20 times work then a clean body to do...

My bird was very clean in 2000 when I repaired for My mother, but the car sitted from 2001 to 2005 since he donated to Me, in the grass under a tree over the home, the car started to rust here...

I'll never drive the bird on the winter again, garaged in My heated basp00get since I have, like My 1970 Mercury Cyclone in 80's and 90's, so the Bird will still clean, and never do a body job again on that car...

Have a nice Day,

Dom.

Reply #22

thats her in her sad shape. The 5 speed has already been taken, the inside has been riped apart, and it has had major panel swaps to make it half way solid. In order to repair the damage on the frame, id have to pull the motor and all the front suspension, cut the whole  side out, and put a new one in. THEN, fix the rest of the cancer, rebuild the ENTIRE inside, and get a new trans. I can't see it being worth it, cause its gonna cost mega money, so the parts are being saved for this one.

my dads third one, the firs one was the black one, factory duals, 5 speed, and thats IT, it was about as basic as you could get and i LOVED it. That  could MOVE, it had a few camaro kills in its day. The silver one has not near as much power, its quite tired. That motor in the black one its gonna live tis life in a 1990 ranger when i find one. I hate to rip the last pieces of life from it, but i don't want that motor to go to waste, cause the white cars motor is in the silver car, cause the silver car had a NASTY knock, and a junk turbo. One day i WILL have another t/c. Im a avid car person as you can tell, not the type of person, thats gonna strip it for a fox body stang. I would have loved to save it, i was gonna drive it instead of my stang. I was gonna build that motor from bottom to top. I was shooting for mid 300 hp, i wanted a beast, but sitting in the grass for 3 years just had to much negative effects on it, it really is a shame, it was clean only had one section with dents on it when we bought it, and like i said it had balls, and when that turbo spooled up, and thats all you could hear OMG, i loved that car. Blue interior on black, it looked sweet(just paint yours black it looks good)
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #23
The stang has floor pans, and all the black panels on the car are NOS. i have 2 more new NOS fenders for it, a door, a hood, front and rear valences, a windshield, and back window. My dad got everything he found for that car just in case, and its SOLID right now, there is NO rot and im gonna keep it that way.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #24

my $300 beater ;)

Reply #25
Quote from: daboss351;127805
The stang has floor pans, and all the black panels on the car are NOS. i have 2 more new NOS fenders for it, a door, a hood, front and rear valences, a windshield, and back window. My dad got everything he found for that car just in case, and its SOLID right now, there is NO rot and im gonna keep it that way.

Yes! now You talk, a LOT of spare parts, I do this for the Bird too, and was the same thing for the Cyclone, it's correct too, the "just in case" parts will be help You a LOT and save a lot of PAIN when the "just in case" comes...

For a '66 it look straight, okay, it was rotted, but not now, and well maintained this car is good for another 50 years...

Best regards,

Dom.

Reply #26
Problem Found, and..... SOLVED!!!.

Okay, I found this evening where are the water leak on My car, thus caused the carpet will watered in a rainy days, After the lunch, around 19h00 I started to repair the rotted parts, and repaired the leak...

Tomorrow I'll just shoot a good layer of "gravel guard" on the repaired area...

Pic#1: Grinded and rotted area, and a arrow where the leak was...
Pic#2: Repaired areas, just need a layer of gravel guard to seal at 100%.

For the bottom I used some steel 1/8 rivets and a MIG, for the middle rotted area, I just sandblasted, and filled with fiberglass premix, I not wanted to try to solder here with Mig cauz it's completely under the dash and the risk of fire was very high, a fiberglass premix and a good seal inside and outside with the gravel guard gun will be okay...

For the area where the water comes, I was just have the triangular hole (where the arrow in the 1st pic) to put a tole here, I sandblasted the entire area with the sandblaster gun, and I just putted a #20 gauge tole here, with just two tacks of Mig, It's rough enough to weld here, after that I sealed with fiber tar mix, shooted with a gravel guard gun at 140psi, I guess all area under these small area will be sealed, due to splash of the tar/fiber mix shooted at 140psi...

Tomorrow after the final seal with gravel guard, I'll wait around an hour, and pour this section with a water with a hose, and check under the dash, I guess I'll not see any leaks:D

Here's the pics...

Happy halloween :hick: ,

Dom.

Reply #27
glad you found it and got it fixed, now that i look at the pics of my black car it doesn't look as bad as it is. And yea im VERY particular when it comes to keeping something that i enjoy nice, shiznit i bought a 1973 honda motorcycle. I ride it all the time, tune the carbs almost every time i ride it, check the oil, and i only run royal purple in it:hick: costs me 20 dollars to do a oil change on it, and its only hold 2 quarts, but i know its getting the protection is needs.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #28
Hello,

Well maintaining a vehicle is the key to have a trouble free car/motorcycle or whatever, since I rebuilted My Bird engine last year, I run with a full synthetic oil ($75 for 5 quarts and a filter), and unless I run 1k or 5k, I'll change the oil and filter, same for My truck, I run with a 10w30 winter, and 20w50 summer, and I change the oil/filter at every 2-3k, for that the engine of My truck run well at 300k, the compressions is around 150psi +- 5psi at each cylinders, so This summer I'll remove the oil pan, change all cranks inserts, and a new melling oil pump, the rest of the engine is okay,cauz I don't take any oil and not base compression, and no valve seals problems, this is the result of a well maintained vehicle...

So, I'll go to the car quest just after this message, to grab some quarts of gravel guard, some underbody coating too, and a kit to rebuilt My PAINT gun, cauz, I guess this month I'll paint all non visible areas of the bird, door interiors, floorpan, trunk lid interior, under the hood, ect, ect, My other gun is just for a primer...

It cost Me again near 100 bucks today, after all coating applyed on the repaired area, I'll reinstall the front fender...

I hope I receive My TC front bumper cover atbthe end of the week, or the next week to install that on the car, Yessssssss!!!:hick: :hick: ...

Okay, I'll go at the auto parts now...

Have a nice Day,

Dom.

Reply #29
So you gonna do it black now, like i said you should?
my $300 beater ;)