Skip to main content

Poll

Cold Air Intake or Ram Air For The 99

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: CAI or Ram Air (Read 1916 times) previous topic - next topic

CAI or Ram Air

I was just wondering, Which would you guys pick i cant decide on CAI or Ram Air for the 99 Cougar. They both have their positives and negatives.

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #1
cold air.

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #2
Ram air is just cold air induction with a scoop anyway.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #3
ram air reminds me of those pontiac grand ams that say RAM AIR VEE SIX, as if it added 50hp... eugh
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #4
Our cars already have a CAI.I'd like to make the Turbo Coupe hood I have in the garage work with my 5.0 like a ram air hood should.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #5
I'd say Ram Air, just because it's still a CAI, but with a little extra, and a little extra never hurt anything... cept maybe the wallet ;)

Haha, yeah I've actually driven home from the car wash and still had drops of water sitting in the scoops of my "Ram Air" hood.  Makes me wonder on the functionality of it.  F-bodies are bottom induction(forgot the technical term) cars anyhow, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's totally useless.  Oh well, I bought it for the looks to begin with.

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #6
I would imagine,after thinking about it,that the hood wouldn't be that functional.It looks like the air,at speed,would actually be traveling from the nose over the hood and scoops.The old Challenger T/A had the scoop raised  so that the air rolling over the hood would actually go into the scoop.Good point,Dakota.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;124675
Our cars already have a CAI.I'd like to make the Turbo Coupe hood I have in the garage work with my 5.0 like a ram air hood should.

im going to weld a tunnel on to the hood its self, hard to explain and run it over to a box.  but for now ill stick with my almost free cold air i made

Quote from: DakotaEpic;124695
I'd say Ram Air, just because it's still a CAI, but with a little extra, and a little extra never hurt anything... cept maybe the wallet ;)

Haha, yeah I've actually driven home from the car wash and still had drops of water sitting in the scoops of my "Ram Air" hood.  Makes me wonder on the functionality of it.  F-bodies are bottom induction(forgot the technical term) cars anyhow, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's totally useless.  Oh well, I bought it for the looks to begin with.

Not to mention the capped scoops on top! got to love those.
1986 Cougar LS

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #8
So what kind of ram air kit do they make for the New Edge cougars anyhow?

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #9
Injen has a few Both CAI's and ram airs, K&N is exuberantly priced at 239 dollars, They have to be F'in crazy.

K&N  CAI

Injen Ram Air

Hmm coulda swore that i had seen an Injen CAI but cant seem to find it now.
[EDIT]

Found
Injen CAI

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #10
If the filter is open to the engine bay,that's not cold air.

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #11
I think you're confusing a "short ram" intake with ram air. I don't know where they originally got the "short ram" name from, but there's nothing ram air about it, it just has the filter inside the engine compartment.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #12
Yeah, I've always hated the prices they charge for intakes.  I think we have ricers to thank for that.  K&N didn't use to be so bad I though.  A buddy of mine was looking at intakes for his Cobalt SS and AEM makes a short ram one.  It's like a 6" chrome tube with a filter on the end and they wanted like 190 for it....  He then got a used Injen one that can convert to be normal CAI or short ram for like 100 shipped from a forum.  But he checked retail on it and it was pretty out there too.  I only paid like 130 for my March Ram Air for the T-bird when I bought that.

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #13
I made my own cold air kit from two 3.5" mandrel bent aluminum pipes ($50) and a big 9" K&N I found on ebay for $12, along with two couplers (figure $15 or so).

I don't care what vehicle I had, I'd have a hard time justifying paying $200 for something I could build myself for less than half that price. And hell, it's not even hard to do!

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

CAI or Ram Air

Reply #14
I have ram air and I only see 0.6 psi added boost at > 100 MPH. This is only about 6 HP or so - I wouldn't bother unless you plan to go over 100 MPH often :D
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.