Skip to main content
Topic: Sheesh.. What now!? (idle surge prob..) (Read 2476 times) previous topic - next topic

Sheesh.. What now!? (idle surge prob..)

Alright.. As some of you know... My car chucked a fuel pickup at me a couple weeks ago.. Well I've replaced that... It ran great! ran being key word. Now its being a cold blooded biatch, and wont start unless I've been cranking it over for a couple minutes, and today.. It just wont kick over and start. Ive let the fuel pump prime... Im holding a good 34psi in fuel pressure... it just wont start..

Im thinking I need new plugs.. but... I wanted to debate about it.. seeing I dont even have 100 miles on these plugs.

What do you guys think?

Reply #1
Dizzy cap, wires and rotor. I changed mine reciently and it starts right up. I also changed the gas in it from Wal-mart gas to Marathon, so that may have something to do with it.

Reply #2
Factory fuel pressure Should be at 39psi maybe that has something to do with it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
I think ya hit it ipsd.  He's got a 5.0, so KOEO, Fuel Pump Test pin jumpered, he should have 45 PSI (+/- 2 PSI, I think).  Pull 20 inches vacuum (idle vacuum) on the FPR, and it should drop to 35 PSI (+/- 2 PSI).  The 6 bangers have higher fuel pressure (who knows why).
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #4
Mike- all that stuff has less than 100 miles on it.

it might be a pressure deal..  bad line or some shiznit. idk.. i need to get iot fixed.. ill probably be getting new plugs somtime this weekend.

Reply #6
that too is new also.

Im hoping motorcraft plugs will work nice... fuggin champion pos's

Reply #7
Champion plugs are for lawnmowers.

Check that you do indeed have spark before getting anything, could be a bad coil/wiring.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #8
Okay soundslike its time to do some trouble shooting. Make shure you are getting spark. Then make sure you have fuel. If you have both of those and it doesn't start then it might be in the timing. I'd say even if you have sprak to get the TFI checked out. I've had it where they throw spark just not throw it constant "aka can get the car to start for a moment or 2 then dies"  Most places will test it for free. If it test bad have them test one off the self.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
As stupid as it sounds, make sure your battery is fully charged and all the connections are clean and tight.

My '88 is very tempermental. If the battery cables and terminals aren't super clean and redicuously tight, the car will be a pain to start if it starts at all.

Reply #10
spark (check)
Fuel (whew, Check)
battery has full charge..

TFI... thats what Im fuzzy on.. how can I get mine tested? take it to the part store? and have them check it out of the car?

im probably gonna go with the benefit of the doubt.. and buy a new one.

Reply #11
ergh... droppin that tank is a bitch and a half. I had to put my old fuel pump back in on the new sender...the pump i got with the sender was a pos...

fouled sparkplugs now.. but she runs... dunno about the cold start tho... Ill find out tomorow morning.

Reply #12
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;124448
spark (check)
Fuel (whew, Check)
battery has full charge..

TFI... thats what Im fuzzy on.. how can I get mine tested? take it to the part store? and have them check it out of the car?

im probably gonna go with the benefit of the doubt.. and buy a new one.

Best bet will be to try a new one. They're not that expensive, but a royal PITA to install if it's the one mounted on the dizzy. Some folks are using later model dizzies from the EFI 302's in trucks and the remote mounted TFI which has a separate heatsink. This gets the TFI away from engine heat.  If it's dizzy mounted, you're gonna have to pull the dizzy to install anyway, so may as well put in new PIP stator too.  This would be a good time to check all the bushings/bearings in the dizzy too.  If there's any slop in the bushings, you'll get all kinds of weird ignition issues.

You CAN have it tested at some parts chains, but, bear this in mind. If it isn't warm (like right out of the car when they test it), it may or may not show a problem. TFI's are temperamental at best when they get flaky. They don't go bad often, though. The module gets pretty hot while the car is running, especially the ones mounted on the dizzy. There isn't much metal in the dizzy body to dissipate the heat, and besides that, it's getting heat transfer from the block too. I took the one outta my F150 too get it tested, and it was hot enough on the remote heatsink that it was quite uncomfortable to hold on to. So, I know they get very hot under normal conditions. Hot does not equal bad.

Reply #13
maybe 20 psi of fuel pressure is my enemy now..

its gonna be going to the shop next week im done screwin around... i had her running last night..and now shes being a bitch

Im changing the freakin fuel pump today hopefully.

Reply #14
Umm, yep, 20 PSI is not enough.  If the 5.0 on this vintage vehicle is the same as the 5.0 in my truck, it's gonna want 35PSI at idle, 45PSI at WOT.  Does the fuel rail appear to be getting air too, or no air at all?  No air is good.  Bubbles are bad.  This indicates the pump is pulling air somehow.  20 PSI is very low.  The 5.0 needs at least 25PSI for the injector rating, if I remember correctly.  The 6 bangers use higher pressure injectors, but I've yet to find an explanation why.