Skip to main content
Topic: Sheesh.. What now!? (idle surge prob..) (Read 2477 times) previous topic - next topic

Sheesh.. What now!? (idle surge prob..)

Reply #15
Hey old_paint
where in the world do you get your info from? 

Blackjack,, you getting anywhere on this?

Reply #16
Yeah guys, new 225lph and new TFI

started right up after a drink of ether.

Reply #17
I'm guessing those pressure #'s are with the vacuum line hooked up?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #18
runs like a top...

it just takes ether to get it to fuggin start... its going to the shop tomorow... after.. I get back from the BMV :D... yup. gettin my license tomorow..

any Ideas on what the f^ck is keeping this thing from starting when cold? its being a pain. and I have to drive it to shop tomorow.. and.. i'd like to NOT take 20 minutes to start it.. or half a can of starting fluid...

The timing probably needs adjusted.. Im going to do that now.

Reply #19
Mine takes a few min's to start too. Not sure what that ahs to do with it, or even relevent as I have a "different" motor in mine.

Reply #20
Alright, she starts without a hitch now..

New problem.. the oil pressure gauge says 50 psi on startup... after she gets warm... its barely readin peroid... the needle just gets off the stopper. and I KNOW that isnt right...

Its tapping too, sounds like a lifter tap.. it varies in an out at idle.. but when you are driving the old girl you dont hear anything.. runs fine.. pushes 10-15 psi while crusin. It didnt really jump when I tromped on it.. it shakes a bit too.  Timing may be the culprit.. not sure..

Im gonna change the oil but I cant decide whats better for old lifters

Im running RP 10W-30..

should I run 10w-40 or 10-50 ?

Reply #21
What's the pressure at 2000 RPM after the car's warmed up?  Also,this is a mechanical guage, correct?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #22
15-20 when warm

and yes, it is a mechanical gauge the line needs replaced tho..

Reply #23
revving the engine in park (when warm) gradually climing the rpms i watch my OPG go from 8 or so psi to 24 or so.. aaaaand it drops right off.

what the  is going on now?

Reply #24
Plugged up oil "return" holes in the heads / lifter valley, and the sump running dry? Try checking the dipstick several times while it warms up to see if the level keeps dropping along with the pressure. The oil should normally be splashing all over the place when running, soaking the dipstick and making a "normal" reading impossible.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #25
would the the ammount of oil have anything to do with this? She is running a tid bit low..

Reply #26
Changed oil, new filter, and new fittings for my OP Gauge. Shes running great with no chatter or very little (less prominent than before)

Reply #27
Alright, Im sitting at a light.. and now she surges.. she'll idle for a bit normally then drop down and stuggle back up.. and it pops.

Could timing be my culprit?

and quick question.. I painted the slot on the dampener so I could see where it was.. now.. I pull the spout.. and where the hell is that line sopposed to be? dead straight up? Im totally confused.. she runs good stumbles a little bit. The plugs are gapped at .43 and everything is up to snuff.. timing is the only thing I have left to tinker with.

Any clue? Im clueless at the moment.

Reply #28
Hmm mine will do that when she's cold (ie just started up on an under 45* day) and sitting at a light once in awhile. Everything on my car is in tune to factory specs so I just chalk it up to old age. I'm droppimng in a HO and a Mark VII computer in about 6 weeks so I'll see if that solves the on again/off again problem. If not let me know what you find out.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #29
Quote from: jcassity;125135
Hey old_paint
where in the world do you get your info from?

Blackjack,, you getting anywhere on this?

Ford Truck Enthusiasts.  Someone in there referred me to here.  AND a LOT of experience through testing on my '92 F-150, fixing things the dealerships around here can't seem to fix.  There are no real mechanics left at dealerships any more.  Since I don't have any OBD-II systems, I refuse to take one to a dealer for service or troubles again.  I learned last year that the dealers no longer have OBD-I test equipment (Hmm, a paperclip and the CEL?).  Most of the mechanics are young, and if you can't connect a joystick or keyboard to it, they don't have any idea how to fix it.  But they sure as heck know how to dig deep in your wallet.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.