Skip to main content
Topic: If any of you guys ever wanted different color needles on your gauges... (Read 1150 times) previous topic - next topic

If any of you guys ever wanted different color needles on your gauges...

I took my gauge cluster apart the other day, in preparation to install some of panther37's gauge faces (which I still have to order). I was thinking to myself how I hated the factory needles, which being white, are really hard to see on white face gauges. I happened to have some Orange Glow enamel paint that I got from the craft section of wal-mart. I painted the accessory needles with it, and then wanted to figure out how to paint the speedo and tach needles and it's actually really easy. If you pull them off and look at the bottom of the needle, you'll see that there's a strip of white paint across the bottom of the needle.

All you have to do is se that strip of paint off with a razor blade or utility knife, then put a strip of your color paint across the bottom of the needle. So now, voila, I have needles that look orange during the day but will still light up with the gauge cluster lighting at night (which I plan to use red LED's for).

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #1
I madke this for My Cyclone when I putted those meters in the dash, in My cyclone all the factory needles was red, and those 2 1/2" metres have a white needles, I openen and I'll painted with a matte red/orange blend the needles...

Same thing before I change My base cluster for a full digit on My bird, I opened the base dash, and sed and repainted theses blemished needles, it's easy, and great...

Ragards,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #2
I know you can't paint the entire needle because it'll actually make it too heavy to read accurately.  I like your idea and I'd like to see some pics.

Reply #3
You can't paint the entire needle because it'll make it too heavy? I never heard that before.

Well, I didn't want to paint the entire needle anyway because I still wanted light to be able to shine through it at night via the factory setup. If you just paint the bottom, the needle will appear to be whatever color you paint the bottom, but light can still shine through at night when the gauge cluster lighting is on.

I'll get a couple pics later tonight.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #4
I know someone on here told me that, about painting over the whole needle.  It makes sense when you realize how light the needle is and how small the pin that it rides on is.

Reply #5
Quote from: Ifixyawata;123835
I know you can't paint the entire needle because it'll actually make it too heavy to read accurately.  I like your idea and I'd like to see some pics.

Painted with a flat paint like a primer, do not change anything, unless You put a quart on a needle:hick:

Reply #6
Quote from: Ifixyawata;123851
I know someone on here told me that, about painting over the whole needle.  It makes sense when you realize how light the needle is and how small the pin that it rides on is.

Painted with a lacquer thinner (solved paint)will make a great semi gloss/satin colour with a Q-Tips, make a great job!, and don't change anything.

Reply #7
got pics?
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #8
Here ya go.

Whether or not the paint is glossy/satin/etc doesn't really matter...the paint I used actually appears to be a satin or flat finish but it looks fine. When you put it on the bottom of the speedo & tach needles it looks glossy through the plastic anyway.

Also, I actually applied the paint to the bottoms of the speedo & tach needles with flat toothpicks. I got a little bit on the sides that I may clean off, although it probably won't even be visible with the cluster assembled and in the car.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip