Skip to main content
Topic: Model trains (Read 3149 times) previous topic - next topic

Model trains

Just out of curriosity does anyone here have model trains/used to have model trains? I used to be into Lionel and other "O" guage trains big time up till I got into high school (and cars took over:grinno: ). I figured I'd post up some pics of my stuff and the layout I built when I was 12. I still have all my stuff and the layout. I think when I get my own house I'm going to build a big layout in the basp00get so I have something to do over the winter when it's cold outside.:cool:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Model trains

Reply #1
More
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Model trains

Reply #2
Some more.

Model trains

Reply #3
Last of 'em

Model trains

Reply #4
Wow...

I was going to get a small set for my grandson but after seeing that I'm not sure I can afford to get him started. :)

Model trains

Reply #5
You are such a nerd....

Just kidding :grinno: Thats pretty cool, I stayed away from the train sets, they were outta my league. I've got a huge box of AFX slot car track and cars packed away though.

How big id O scale anyway? bigger or smaller than HO?

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Model trains

Reply #6
O is bigger than HO, one step down from G-scale.

Anyway, I useta have model trains...was really into them for a couple years in high school, started an HO layout but never finished it. I found that I liked building & weathering scenery, structures and train cars more than actually running the trains, and I fell out of interest with them and got back into model cars (kinda sucked since I had $300+ in the train stuff). Had the stuff packed up for awhile, and finally sold everything in October 2005. I had a bunch of pictures of everything (that I took for the guy that bought the stuff) and for some reason I deleted all of them, so I don't have any of them anymore. Oh well.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Model trains

Reply #7
Gilbert Flyer Fan here--realistic 2 rail track--as they used to say.  I see you have a J class steamer on the shelf--neat!  I never could handle Lionel's "3rd" rail for appearances.  Lionel bought Gilbert rights after Gilbert folded in 1967.  Thereafter ending Lionel's direct US competitor in model trains.  Some of you may remember the Gilbert Company--mostly known for their Erector Sets.  Shown is Gilbert's largest production Engine, the Northern UP 4-8-4 with its atypical Gilbert whitewall driver wheels.  Gilbert steamers were easy to recognize--most of them have whitewall drivers.  Actually many steamers of the era had whitewall painted tires.  It was easier for the railroad to spot cracks in the steel tire--so they could replace those tire rims as necessary.  I still have all my stuff since 1962.  Lionel has "graciously" been appeasing AF fans by current production of AF stuff. One of their latest is the reproduction of this engine with electronic goodies (sound) inside.  Interesting--this original Flyer engine cost $40 in the mid-fifties (pricey then) and Lionel's is now priced at $400+.  About 2 years ago, a made fot TV movie portrayed AC Gilbert's business life--called "The Man Who Saved Christmas."  Gilbert was also an Olympic Medal winner. 

Also shown is a real Northern--I like the real ones to!

Model trains

Reply #8
I had a nice little 4x8 HO layout when I was in grade school and junior high.  Like so many, I drifted away from it once I got into girls and cars in high school.  I would like to get back into it again, but I know that with kids, work and all of that good stuff, there is just no way that I would have the time for it.
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Model trains

Reply #9
i have been wanting to get into it, but it seems to be really expensive. i just don't have alot of money to sink into it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:cougarsmily:

Model trains

Reply #10
I used to be into Lionel and other "O" guage trains
Takes up too much space.
You need to downsize a bit to "TY" gauge...
http://www.stanstrains.com/TYLayout.htm
http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/ty_scale.htm
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Model trains

Reply #11
I've always liked trains.  In fact, there is a little HO scale 0-6-0 steamer running around my Christmas tree.  I don't have the space for any kind of permanent setup where I live now.  But I will have one someday.  In the meantime I like to read about them and ride the real ones whenever I get a chance.  I live about 20 miles away from the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.  If any of you train guys are ever in the area you should go check it out.  It runs through some of the nicest country you will ever see this side of the Mississippi.

http://www.gsmr.com
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Model trains

Reply #12
I've got some HO stuff and this is the same layout I have but I never finished the scenery.  http://www.angelfire.com/nb/meyr/archives1.htm

I'll set it back up and finish it when I move.

Some recent pictures I took last week:
Outdoor scale stuff (G or LGB or whatever) in Wheaton, MD set up by The Washington, Virginia, & Maryland Garden Railway Society:

These three pictures are of an "N" size layout set up at the B&O Museum last week:

Outdoor scale at B&O Museum:

The real deal:

Dammit, you guys are gonna make me dig out some of my stuff now to use for Christmas layouts until I get my Oregon Pass Lines finished.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Model trains

Reply #13
I still run the stuff every once in awhile as the layout is still set up in my basp00get. I never really liked HO trains as they were boring to run. Lionel and most O guage trains have sound systems so you can hear teh diesel engine, horn, and bell when you run the trains. Also I have freight cars that unload stuff which is cool.

I
see you have a J class steamer on the shelf--neat!

Actually it's a Souther Pacific "Daylight" GS-2 4-8-4 Northern. It's similar but a bit different.

Model trains

Reply #14
Quote from: thunderjet302;120739
I still run the stuff every once in awhile as the layout is still set up in my basp00get. I never really liked HO trains as they were boring to run. Lionel and most O guage trains have sound systems so you can hear teh diesel engine, horn, and bell when you run the trains. Also I have freight cars that unload stuff which is cool.

I used to have "O" when I was real young but around the age of 10, traded the "O" stuff in for HO.  They all have their pros and cons.  I like how HO can be the most realistic with regard to track radius, train car and accessory proportions while still staying at a manageable size.
N-scale makes it even easier to replicate the gentle slopes and track radius but gets too small for component proportions (wires, trucks, wheels, handrails, etc).  My father is getting into the outdoor stuff because he says it's easy to see.
, I haven't touched my stuff in 10 years, the layout is currently in my basp00get in three sections, and the trains are all boxed up.  The reason I haven't put the layout up is because I will probably be moving within a year or two.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]