Skip to main content
Topic: Trany cable on TB (Read 2733 times) previous topic - next topic

Trany cable on TB

OK another stupid question. Since I reconnected everything after project head gasket I put the cables back on the TB. Now I used a EGR eliminator plate w/brought the TB closer to the plenum I’m not sure if I threw off the geometry of the cable cause it appears to be a little lose (heres a pic). The question I have is it ok or must I tighten it some how I’m not sure if it was like that before I disconnected it and I know w/it may cause trany failure if not working correctly. So do I tighten or leave a loan.

Trany cable on TB

Reply #1
Make sure you get it back to where it was. Leaving it loose will certainly destroy the transmission.
You may consider getting all of the slack out of the cable and take it for a gentle drive.
When I had my '88 XR7, I moved the cable about two or three notches. Just this small adjustment made an obvious difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Trany cable on TB

Reply #2
Bill, with the car off move the throttle body in the direction of the arrows.  You can push/pull it towards the front of the car by using a finger right where the green arrow points to.  You should feel tension on the throttle body and it should be the same amount of tension all the way through the path of travel of the throttle body.  If you move it with the TV cable removed trom the throttle body you will notice it moves much more freely.  IF it doesn't then the cable is hung up somewhere, most likely underneath.  Once you assure that's all correct adjust it so that the car shifts into OD at aroun 47-48 MPH with little or no throttle.  You can adjust higher...Right now mine is set to go into OD @54 MPH under VERY light throttle.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Trany cable on TB

Reply #3
Thanks for your help guys just got around to adjusting it yesterday and I used up the slack now I just have to tune it I assume the tighter it is the higher speed you shift points are and the loser the slower/lower speeds your shifts point are

Trany cable on TB

Reply #4
You pretty much nailed it.  Don't go too tight.  You won't like that down shift from OD back into 3rd.  It can get rough if you set the pressure too high.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!