Skip to main content
Topic: You might be... (Read 2430 times) previous topic - next topic

You might be...

...an absolute idiot if you street race. Last night a friend and I got a phone call from another friends wife, needless to say it wasn't good news. Luckily for us, his wife, and 2 one year old twin boys he walked away from the accident with a scratch some bruises and a rather sore body. Preliminary guesses are that the Honda and the Mustang were stop light drag racing. My friend was pulling out from a side street and didn't judge how fast they were coming (read: night time and how human depth perception works ) and pretty much got hit by both cars. From what the accident investigator said, they probably got slowed down to about 60mph by the time they hit my friends Vue. Best guess is that they were doing about 90-100 before hand. The Honda ended up perpendicular to the passenger side of the Vue, the Mustang ended up about a block away jumping the curb and hitting the glass front of a building. Subsequently all three cars will probably be totaled.

The kicker in all of this, the drivers of the Honda and Mustang both claim that they were going 35mph (the speed limit of that road) and that my friend pulled out into their lanes and just stopped :mad: :bs: :bs: . I'm hoping that these idiots get the book thrown at them because they deserve it. But enough ranting for now, I figured I'd share this with everyone in hopes that it will influence someone into thinking twice before street racing, and possibly killing someones husband, father, son, or best friend.

Here are some pics: first of the Vue, then the Mustang, then the Honda.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

You might be...

Reply #1
The damage to the Vue doesn't like a 60mph impact, not saying it wasn't that fast, for all I know, that Vue may be a rather solid car...
I'd guess 45 tops, and maybe not even that fast...

However, this doesn't excuse street racing...you do it, and you are a f*cking idiot. No ways around it.
Just be glad they didn't get killed...no amount of money can bring back a loved one, or take away the hurt and anger that some jagoff in a fast car he/she can't handle, can cause. NO excuse for the shiznit.
Did the losers racing get arrested or anything of the sort?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

You might be...

Reply #2
The damage on the Vue is about right. Ive worked on 35 and 55 mph wrecks that were hit on the rear tire. If it was anything slower than 45 it wouldnt have shoved both doors out away from the body. It pushed that whole side in. It even bent the tie rod on the front. They were racing thats for sure. Im guessing the Honda hit the rear of the Vue?
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

You might be...

Reply #3
Things like this that make me want to hang up my keys.  I drive a little fast sometimes, but never around other people (1 a.m.), and never something really stupid like racing. And if i ever messed up, I would at least have the balls to admit to it.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

You might be...

Reply #4
How are the kids, god I started reading that my heart fell thinking the worsted.
and yes I also believe by the time the veh made contact is was less then 40mph not making it right cause they very well could of decelerated from close to 100mph still making them at fault and in the wrong
Dam kids push things to far not thinking of other on the road.

You might be...

Reply #5
Is that a V6 Mustang?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You might be...

Reply #6
Is that a V6 Mustang?

I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think it is.  It looks like it has factory fog lamps, which I don't believe was available with the V6.  And I don't believe that is a V6 hood, though I can't say for sure.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

You might be...

Reply #7
The Stang looks like a 10 Anniversary Cobra because of the wheels

But it may be a Mach 1 because of the shaker hood and the wing

You might be...

Reply #8
That Stang ain't a Cobra...and I don't think it's a GT either.
Is it really relevant what size motor it has? That's like saying a .44 Mag is more dangerous than a .38 special, because it's bigger?

Idiots on the road kill people...not fast cars, although you mix the 2, and the whole situation worsens. Given the automakers propensity toward smaller, lighter cars and more power than needed, and the influx of younger drivers out to make a Fast & The Furious "kill"...only, someone innocent gets hurt, or...well, killed.
Hell, I know I did stupid shiznit, but I never raced over 35 mph in town, because quite frankly, all the pieces of shiznits I ever had were able to get much faster than that between the lights.

And I still maintain that the car that hit the Vue wasn't going much over 35-40.
I've pulled countless engines and transmissions from wrecked cars at the JY while I was the mechanic there...you get a feel for how bad the wrecks are after awhile.
I had a friend who had a Ranger, he hit a deer with it one night doing about 60, it ruined both doors, and the clip, windshield, and bumper.
If that Honda hit that Vue at 60 mph, there wouldn't be shiznit left of it, and some of those folks would have been seriously hurt.

Maybe the pics of that girl that died in that Porsche wreck that was posted awhile back should be shown to every new driver...maybe a little shock treatment would do 'em all some good...but, probably not.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

You might be...

Reply #9
Easy to tell how fast he was going. His speedo should be stuck at the speed he was going at the moment of impact. That is unless he had the wheels locked up at that point.

You might be...

Reply #10
Quote from: jkirchman;118321
I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think it is.  It looks like it has factory fog lamps, which I don't believe was available with the V6.  And I don't believe that is a V6 hood, though I can't say for sure.

Quote from: 84 Fila;118324
The Stang looks like a 10 Anniversary Cobra because of the wheels

Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;118325
That Stang ain't a Cobra...and I don't think it's a GT either.

As I stated, It was a 40th Anniversary Mustang, with a V8.

Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;118325

And I still maintain that the car that hit the Vue wasn't going much over 35-40.
I've pulled countless engines and transmissions from wrecked cars at the JY while I was the mechanic there...you get a feel for how bad the wrecks are after awhile.
I had a friend who had a Ranger, he hit a deer with it one night doing about 60, it ruined both doors, and the clip, windshield, and bumper.
If that Honda hit that Vue at 60 mph, there wouldn't be shiznit left of it, and some of those folks would have been seriously hurt.

I'm only going on what I've seen and what the accident investigator stated off record. It's not known for sure who hit first, and it won't be known for up to a month. Here are a couple more pics, one to end the v8 debate and one to show what the hardest point of impact was.

You might be...

Reply #11
The Vue doesn't look bad, but speaking from experience those plastic body panels hide a lot of damage. The "space frame" underneath could be twisted all to hell, but those plastic panels will bounce right back, even when broken.

That Civic definitely looks like it was going more than 35-45. That's a lot of damage, especially considering it hit the side of the Saturn, not the front or rear
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

You might be...

Reply #12
40th Anny Stangs were V6's and V8's. You have to actually look under the hood. Those wheels are definatley 2003 Cobra 10th Anny wheels (they're the wheels I want for Layla). And the hood is definately the 03-04 Mach 1 Shaker. Mustang guys have identity problems though so it doesn't suprise me.

You might be...

Reply #13
BTW, is the friend OK or was it just the wife and 2 kids in the Vue? Saturn's are definately getting more crash resistant. Hopefully everybody is OK.

You might be...

Reply #14
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;118486
BTW, is the friend OK or was it just the wife and 2 kids in the Vue? Saturn's are definately getting more crash resistant. Hopefully everybody is OK.

My friends wife and kids were at home at the time. As of right now he's doing pretty well, but he's still rather bruised and sore from everything. He should be fine in the long run.