Skip to main content
Topic: Junkyard dog…uhhh cat (Read 10180 times) previous topic - next topic

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Had a great time taking advantage of the nice weather and scouring the junkyard for goodies. I was looking for Tbird parts but seems the Cougars were more popular this visit. I came across an 83 LS 5.0 with what I believe was 74,000 originals miles! Here are a few pictures and I’ll post some of the goodies I found next! :-)
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #1
Here are some odds and ends...
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #2
Check these out.....and one works!!!!!  I've had my 83 TBird Heritage from new and don't think I ever saw a TBird version of these 'lamps'  in any junkyard. I was actually surprised to see these.

>>>Notice the 2 different styles even though they both came off the same car. The one on the left which looks newer doesn't work but the one on the right which looks older does?? The studs on the chrome trim ring(right) were cut so maybe it was replaced at some time? I never knew there were 2 different styles.
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #3
I found this interesting..it was an LS...no cruise control, no vent windows, no cornering lamps but loaded with 2 power seats and the alarm! I'm not a Cougar expert and will have to do some reading. Was the LS the top of the line?
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #4
The 1983 coach lamps had their own part number because the reflector was different. If you notice the one on the left has a striped pattern, whereas the other one has more of a dot pattern. That was the difference. Also of note: that was a passenger side emblem on the driver's side of that wrecked '83. Someone replaced it somewhere along the line. Had to drill new holes to do it, too. That would explain what you found.

Cruise control, vent windows and cornering lamps were all options on all models. In fact, all options could be ordered separately, making for very strange combinations sometimes. The LS was actually the mid-level model; the XR7 was tops. But some of the same things were found in the LS and XR7 (thicker carpeting, for example).

Good score on the turn signal levers with the horn emblem on the end. ;)

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #5
It even still had a decent set of vintage mudflaps. Obviously someone enjoyed and took care of this cat while they had it. Makes you wonder about the history when you look at it. Was it a cherry car handed down from Grandma to someone who drove it till it stopped?? Did it get tapped in the DS rear quarter and get totaled?  Hmmmm ???
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #6
Go Back And Get That Owners Manual!
One 88

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #7
I hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed a day at the junkyard looking past the late model stuff to find those four eyes! I didn’t score too many Tbird parts but the hunt is part of the fun.
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #8
Man after looking at that shiny red It makes me want it..

Kinda makes you want to go grab a girl and show her the backseat of a cougar and its uber cool makout lights...

Get that console too.. if it has the lights in the back... and get that tray cause someone broke the piece out.. i can see it... .then you can jb weld it back in.. /bad grammar
One 88

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #9
Quote from: EricCoolCats;115855
The 1983 coach lamps had their own part number because the reflector was different. If you notice the one on the left has a striped pattern, whereas the other one has more of a dot pattern. That was the difference. Also of note: that was a passenger side emblem on the driver's side of that wrecked '83. Someone replaced it somewhere along the line. Had to drill new holes to do it, too. That would explain what you found.

Cruise control, vent windows and cornering lamps were all options on all models. In fact, all options could be ordered separately, making for very strange combinations sometimes. The LS was actually the mid-level model; the XR7 was tops. But some of the same things were found in the LS and XR7 (thicker carpeting, for example).

Good score on the turn signal levers with the horn emblem on the end. ;)

Ahhhh Interesting!!  Great eyes on the PS emblem on the DS...never would have picked up on that (being a TBird guy!)  So do you think the 2 part numbers were due to a early/late part release? Of course..the XR7 was the top of the line...duh..it's been a long (fun) day! :)

Thanks for the info!

Rod
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #10
Quote from: CougarSE;115858
Go Back And Get That Owners Manual!

I looked.....nothing there... :(

edit>> oh, if you are referring to the booklet on the PS seat….it was for an ’89 Cougar. Hmmm maybe that’s what this was traded on?  and yea I should have grabbed it too but was too overwhelmed checking out all the other stuff.
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #11
Quote from: CougarSE;115860
Man after looking at that shiny red It makes me want it..

Kinda makes you want to go grab a girl and show her the backseat of a cougar and its uber cool makout lights...

Get that console too.. if it has the lights in the back... and get that tray cause someone broke the piece out.. i can see it... .then you can jb weld it back in.. /bad grammar

Yea.. it was RED!  Didn't grab the console cause my cars have gray and tan interiors and aren't missing anything. I already have several trays! :)
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #12
Buy that console... that was the only year to have the rear lights...  and grab the tray so that the piece that someone broke when they removed the tray can be reatached.

Someone here will want that console.
One 88

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #13
Quote from: CougarSE;115865
Buy that console... that was the only year to have the rear lights...  and grab the tray so that the piece that someone broke when they removed the tray can be reatached.

Someone here will want that console.

So 84's didn't have the rear lights? If someone really wants it I'd consider forcing myself to go back again! :)
tbirdregistry.com

Junkyard dog…uhhh cat

Reply #14
Great score on those parts!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]