Skip to main content
Topic: Do I have to change tires when my car sits? (Read 1069 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I have to change tires when my car sits?

For the past few years I've been taking the tires I drive on off the T-bird when I put it away for the winter. I put old tires on steel wheels on it when it sits. It sits in the garage for 5 months. I start it once a week and roll it up and down the drive way just to get everything moving. Now if I move the car once a week that should prevent flat spots on the tires right? I'll put the old tires on if I have to but is it really necessary or am I just doing unnecessary work before I put the car away?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
They say tires can flat-spot from sitting, but I've never had it happen to a modern radial tire. The bias plies that were on my old '66 Galaxie were a different matter though - let it sit for more than a day or two and the tires were almost square (but would round themselves out after a few miles). When it was cold out it was even worse...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
flat spotting isnt the problem, dry rotting is tho, driving it once a week for 5 months is about the same ammount my grand mother drives her car, and she goes through tires more often than i do because they crack and dry rot. i think if you just stack them in your garrage, or a shed not exposed to sunlight or the weather, they should be good.

Reply #3
is it a headet garage?
reguardless, id just fill the tank and add soma sta-bil aditiv, over inflate the tires 5-10 psi, pull the battery, crack the windows, cover the car and call it good till spring.

imho, you are better off turning the engine over by hand to move the valve springs around. letting it idle  for a few mins or just driving it up and down the driveway a few times is only going to promote moisture buildup in the motor and exaust. i personally think its worse for it.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Hah, I remember my dad's old Ford Econoline with 16.5" tires would go bap-bap-bap-bap on a cold morning after it had sat. 

It's cheap insurance to change the wheels off for storage, but I guess if these guys say it's unneccessary, then fugheddaboutit.

Reply #5
Quote from: shame302;107038
is it a headet garage?
reguardless, id just fill the tank and add soma sta-bil aditiv, over inflate the tires 5-10 psi, pull the battery, crack the windows, cover the car and call it good till spring.

imho, you are better off turning the engine over by hand to move the valve springs around. letting it idle  for a few mins or just driving it up and down the driveway a few times is only going to promote moisture buildup in the motor and exaust. i personally think its worse for it.

thats a good point i had forgotten about. that moisture in your exhaust will rot it out if your motor and exhaust dont get up to opperating temp.

Reply #6
If its just sitting for a fww months then just make sure the pressures are up and theyre sitting on dry ground. If its sitting for a year or more (and doesnt have to be moved) then put the car on jack stands ans stack the tires in the corner.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #7
i guess if you go by the book:rules: then yes you should change them, but on my low-mile '87 tc, its still sits on the original "gatorbacks" that came on it.  i just inflate pressure to between 40-45 lbs, and sit the tires on cardboard or an old piece rug to keep them off of concrete.  if and when i do get it out, they do bump-bump for a bit till they get heat in them, but not bad, but what do you expect from a 20 year old set of tires????:pbb:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #8
I think I'm going to try leaving the tires on and see how it goes. I'll let you guys know if it's ok or not. Oh and the car isn't in a heated garage but it's the only car in the garage so no one is draging snow or any other moisture into the garage. The floor is concrete as well. I haven't had a problem wit moisture build up since I've been storing it. The exhaust is fine with no rust. I do change the oil before I put it away and then again when I take it out again. After sitting for 5 months the oil sucks even if I didn't put any miles on it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.