Skip to main content
Topic: Help!!! Overspeed Buzzer noise, anyone know where/what it is? (Read 3538 times) previous topic - next topic

Help!!! Overspeed Buzzer noise, anyone know where/what it is?

Ok... I am at my wits end with this  car...  I have done SOOO much work to it, only to find that on the highway, when I exceed roughly 120 mph (My gauge stops at 95 ><) I get this horrid buzzing noise, much like a burglar alarm... and it's not the overboost light, (Fixed a vaccuum line and that stopped) I've heard that and this sound is like 10 time louder and annoying... It's under the dash somewhere, and it sounds almost mechanical of sorts... it'll slowly go away as I decelerate, but I want to completely remove it... I just don't know where it its, and I'd prefer not to dig around under the dash at those speeds O_O

Does anyone know what/how this pain in the a** works and/or how to disable or remove it?  I'm running a 1987 Turbocoupe in case it helps... please!
The coupe's gone :punchballs:
The new Toy's being rebuilt! 1986 T-bird 3.8 CFI
Currently wrecked, searching for new body (drivetrain still works :bowdown:) Long live the Four Eyes!

Reply #1
I hate to be a big prick but why are you going OVER 120?  Over 100 even, for that matter.  Even with all new suspension, steering and brake components, these cars are still a 20-year-old design.  And the design isn't safe at 120+

Reply #2
Maybe hes talking KM/H? it might help if he would

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"]PROPERLY FILL OUT HIS INFORMATION[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just a guess....
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
I think it's miles because the buttstuffog gauges stop at around 95mph.  There are only numbers up to 85 but then there are a few more lines.  Metric gauges go higher than that.

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboChicken;106810
when I exceed roughly 120 mph

Sounds like this genius is in the States. Let's just hope this door  takes himself out, and doesn't take a family out with him. Dumb shag.:slap: :nutkick: :asshole: :yuck: :flame: :nkhk:
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #5
Quote from: Warbird9;106819
Sounds like this genius is in the States. Let's just hope this door  takes himself out, and doesn't take a family out with him. Dumb shag.:slap: :nutkick: :asshole: :yuck: :flame: :nkhk:

Well I'm sorry to have bothered you all, I suppose I asked the wrong person or question.  Why or where I do these speeds is irrelevent... I do not condone nor do I do unsafe driving, there are tracks for this kind of thing.  All I wish to know is where this annoyance is and how to remove it, simply for MY convienience.

As for the High Speeds and being a 20 year old design?  It doesn't matter WHAT you drive, but it's all in where you're doing the driving, and if you're a complete moron or not.  Maintainence also is a factor.  If you know how to handle what you've got, then there should not be a problem with it, unless you are in fact a dumb a$$ in a Honda that was built for no more than 80 on a good day.

But whatever, I'm not here to start a war or upset anyone, I just wish to know if ANYONE has dealt with these things before and if so how to remove them.  If there's a civil soul out there with useful information, I'd appreciate it.

As for my Information?

1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe
2.3L L4 Turbo (IHI) Stock Intercooled
Located in PA, yes, the states folks...
Black with Red Leather... any other questions?

DJ_Inu2002@yahoo.com
Currently wrecked, searching for new body (drivetrain still works :bowdown:) Long live the Four Eyes!

Reply #6
Never heard of a "overspeed" buzzer......
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
What kind of boost are you pushing at those speeds? I suppose it could still be the overboost buzzer.
I guess my '86 has one, but I've never heard it go off...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I've left everything stock; to the best of my knowledge I'm only running a maximum of 15psi... the gauge on the dash (thought I know unreliable) doesn't budge above 10.  Although I'm considering the whole 'bypass the bcs' to get to 17 psi, with the age of my IHI I don't want to push it too hard...  I do know that with what boost I do have, my friend Goldie has clocked me at a top of 137 mph so far on an empty highway at 2 am...  Not that I need anymore speed, but to get to about 80 faster would be entertaining ^_~

So yea, 15 max at the moment...  and I thought maybe I had overboost, but that buzzer sounds different and I have the o.b. light... which no longer comes on since I changed all the turbo's broken vac lines out for good strong new ones... is my car just Ford's idea of a  child?  I'm starting to notice a few things other TC's don't have that I'm stuck with...

Reply #9
First off the overboost buzzer should go off at anyhting over 14.7psi. 2nd I bet these cars are better suited to go over 120mph than you think. They were designed for NASCAR. I do believe that a T-bird still holds the Nascar record at Tallidega and Daytona both of them are over 200mph. Also my overboost buzzer comes on at 13psi according to my autometer gauge. Not saying you should or shouldn't drive at 120mph but it is a free country. I guess this is gonna turn out like the seatbelt deal.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #10
I would think there would be a bit of variations between the NASCAR and production versions of our cars.

Reply #11
Quote from: ipsd;106939
2nd I bet these cars are better suited to go over 120mph than you think. They were designed for NASCAR. I do believe that a T-bird still holds the Nascar record at Tallidega and Daytona both of them are over 200mph.

ROFLMAO
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #12
*sigh*

I guess this wasn't the place to ask... all this debate and yet nothing of use...  I do applaud everyone who has managed to keep this thread civil, and my deepest apologies to those of you who consider this 'door' to be an unsafe driver on the roads.  I suppose if you find me unsafe to do your best to get out of the path of this 87 TC... She's jet black and fast as balls....

Anyways, thank you for your input folks, I suppose I'm left to poke around under the dash with the car raised in the hopes I can find this darn thing.

Gomenasai! Watashi aishizniteru des ka!

Reply #13
actually there wasnt much difference between the NASCAR body and the production body, if you look in a 85-86 ford motorsports catalog you can buy a body in white either for drag or NASCAR. funny question but does it sound at all like the door open buzzer? i have had my unsafe t-bird over 160mph:pbb:  and the tops of the doors start pulling out around 120 and could be the striker turning the buzzer on, also you should try to unplug the overboost buzzer and see if that helps.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #14
Jeez guys, way to welcome a new member :beatyoass: We all know driving fast can be dangerous, but we've all done it (or at least most of us). Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

TurboChicken: There is no overspeed buzzer in these cars. The digital dash models have a beeper that goes off if you go over a set speed (you set the speed), but your buttstuffogue dash wouldn't have that. Full digital dash models also have a beeper that goes off if any of the gauges show something amiss (low oil pressure, under/overcharging, overheating, etc) but again your car wouldn't have this. About the only thing I can think of the the overboost buzzer that everyone's mentioned.

Actually, come to think of it, I can think of one other thing: The trim around the windshield. My old '87 Sport used to do this: At a certain speed the aluminum trim around the outside of the windshield would start vibrating and sound like a buzzer. It was annoying as hell because it happened right about at 75 MPH, which made long trips a real treat. I used that sticky black stuff (don't know the name of it, we called it "dog shiznit" in the shop) to get rid of the problem.

I won't lock this thread right now, but if the dogpile continues it's gone...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣