Skip to main content
Topic: virtual memory hell (Read 1711 times) previous topic - next topic

virtual memory hell

okay. I have a user at work, HP workstation.
3.6 gig HT P4, 2 Gig Ram, 80 gig Hdd.

the thing will just slow down like it is a p2 while running access queries and the page file queue length and pafe faults will go through the roof?

this thing is fairly clean base install with hp drivers, xp pro, office pro and a few other apps for the office.

any sugguestions, here's an error report so you can see what I mean.
hard drive going bad?

virtual memory hell

Reply #1
What luck ! just today arrived (at the moment i read this thread) an HP Celeron 2.26 with 80 gigs HD. Had the same problems, we tested the HD at other of my pc`s and finally kicked the can. Was a samsung, and was only 1 1/2 years old.....

Maybe you want to try the old trick about setting the virtual memory 2 1/2 times more than the ram installed (ok,  i know, with my statement  this is not possible, since with XP pro you can only get 4096 mb of Virtual memory, and with the 2 gigs of ram....) Play with the virtual memory size, letting in auto management of established by you (or even, disable it)......

If not, im with the HD replacement....

Mmm, i almost forgot, check if DMA is enabled...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

virtual memory hell

Reply #2
DMA is enabled by deault by the intel drivers. dont even think I can turn it off.

this thing is driving me batty. sometimes it flies like it should, other times it is so slow i wonder if it's about to stop working all together.. hmm... thanks for the ideas though. i may try ghosting his machine onto a new hdd.

virtual memory hell

Reply #3
P4 3.6GHz and a 2.26GHz Celeron....there's your problem :grinno: .

I had on odd problem the second day I had my new build comp where windows kept spiking my CPU usage to 99% for no reason, but it eventually went away.

virtual memory hell

Reply #4
i figured it out. the guy that tried to work on it before forced virtual memory to a mimimum of 2 gigs.. so windows was freaking out trying to fill it.

set it to mimimum 500 meg and max @ 1.5x the ram and she is flying now.

i like amd myself, but we have what we have at work.