Skip to main content
Topic: At the fork in the road here... (Read 2457 times) previous topic - next topic

At the fork in the road here...

Reply #15
u cant realy tell in the pictures of my car, but the paint is ... its chipped dinged, scratched, gouged, and leaves alot to be desired. i still drive it tho, and take it to local shows. hell... even with it like it is and slightly discolored to boot, i won a 3rd place trophie at a ford show. i say keep it, save alittle at a time, maybe even look into doing some work yourself, like replacing body pannles. hell, for not much y ou can buy an entire front end. i think aerobird sells hoods for like 75, and fenders are everywhere, usualy 25 each or less. i say keep it, save for a little while if you have to and do as much as you can by yourself.

also, you could try making friends with somebody who runs/works in a body shop lol, sounds stupid, but i talk to lots of people and usualy people offer there help or at least offer the "cash" discount. like a friend i work with now offered to do my car for 2500 cash :D

Reply #16
I dont plan to sell the car, Im just undecided as to whether continue modding the car or just leave it as it is(let my dad drive it) and find another toy. The car will always be mine, but I think Im just going to start looking for another project.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #17
Hey man we all been there, I almost bought a mark viii 2 months ago when I blew up that 306... glad I didn't cause I'm just about done putting in the new motor and working on the car helps me keep my sanity... plus I've had mine for 12 years now and its been in my family since 1988

I'd say kept modding it and get it in the 11's.. nothing better than a 11 second sleep.... well maybe a 10 second sleeper but we'll save that for down the road..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #18
Modding the engine and whatnot isnt really an issue, its the body/paint work that I am undecided about. In other words, I like driving a quick car, but I want it to look nice at the same time.

Before I was only concerned with speed, but now my tastes are changing slightly to include appearance.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #19
You can always had a car to beat on. I wouldn't paint my car until I had everything on it the exact same as I pictured it on my head. That way I can go sit outside somewhere when its hot/cold inside the car, and just plop right down on the hood and windsheild and stretch all out  with my feet on the header panel.

I am not saying I like to jump on and abuse my car, but with a seriously messed up hood that I have to replace anyways, might as well use it.

The thing I hate about alot of new/nice cars, is if you drop a tool while working on the engine and chip the paint, lots of people freak out. If you ran up and hit one of my cars with a baseball bat I wouldnt really care or notice. Its not that I don't care about my car, but I already need new front end (Not hail damage though....) doors trunk and lots of bondo on the quarters and the wheel wells. After I get all of the parts, noone will be allowed to lean on it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
when my cougar got wrecked i was upset bc it was over for the car the box was torn up pretty bad. and i found my current car less than 12 hours after it got wrecked i do enjoy the mustang. it comes with the 11 inch rotors. siff springs floor shifter exct. it can corrner with some sticky tires. but i really really mis the cougar.

i did have the cougar painter at macco. took all the lights and emblems off for them so less taping was needed. but for 1000 it wasnt bad and lasted a long time i was happy. 

oh and lets not forget one thing about the most of mustans have been beat, crashed/choped swaped and over priced in most cases if it's got a 5.0  lets forget 5 -speed
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!