Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Trouble (Read 1716 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Trouble

Yesterday as soon as I accelerated I wasn't getting full boost and the engine was feeling real doggy, so I parked it.  Basically it seems like I'm only firing on 2 cylinders and there is a clicking sound coming from the top of the engine.  Any ideas?

Engine Trouble

Reply #1
So how much boost are you getting compared to normal? Also are you shure that the clicking sounds isn't the injectors? double check your timing maybe the belt jumped a tooth.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Engine Trouble

Reply #2
in need of new spark plug wires?

Engine Trouble

Reply #3
double check your oil and oil pressure, make shure they arent low, oil my not be circulating 100% to the top of the engine and the turbo, probably not, but its not something to be overlooked
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Engine Trouble

Reply #4
Ticking huh?? Sounds like its time for a compression check, you may have popped a head gasket...

Engine Trouble

Reply #5
Quote from: tc²;104204
Yesterday as soon as I accelerated I wasn't getting full boost and the engine was feeling real doggy, so I parked it.  Basically it seems like I'm only firing on 2 cylinders and there is a clicking sound coming from the top of the engine.  Any ideas?
How many miles on it? If you're over 75K, you may need to replace the timing belt. Happened on my '86.  'Cept when it happened it did that for ten seconds then died.

Engine Trouble

Reply #6
The more I think about it sounds like a boost leak. Lower than normal power and doggy. I had a cracked hose on mine. It had py idle and low boost.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Engine Trouble

Reply #7
Do these engines have a knock sensor? if so the top end tic may be sending it false readings.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Engine Trouble

Reply #8
yep they have knock sensor. It is in the lower intake. It is possible to get false readings with it. Just unhook it and go for a ride. If the power is back you are making some sort of noise that is doesn't like.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Engine Trouble

Reply #9
+1 on the head gasket

Engine Trouble

Reply #10
As for all of these issues:

I'm running about 9 lbs under full load as opposed to 11.

Tried new plug wires to no avail, however when I disconnect the wire going to the cylinder closest to the front of the car, the clicking stops.

Oil/oil pressure is good.

Don't think it's a head gasket... no coolant in oil.

Car runs the same with/without KS.

Engine Trouble

Reply #11
You pull the #1 plug wire and the clicking stops?  Does the engine run the same?  What happens when you pull the other plug wires?  Have you pulled the plugs?

Sounds like a dead hole....could be a HG.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Engine Trouble

Reply #12
Yes, that is correct.  The engine runs less rough with #1 plug wire pulled, the rpms rise slightly also.  I have not pulled the plugs.

Engine Trouble

Reply #13
Pull the plugs...that's weird.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Engine Trouble

Reply #14
fouled or bridges sparkplug?

and as i said... time for new wires