Skip to main content
Topic: The Official Strange/Exotic T-Birds & Cougars thread (Read 4940 times) previous topic - next topic

The Official Strange/Exotic T-Birds & Cougars thread

The thread about that pro-street T-Bird got me thinking: There have been some wild/wonderful concepts, race cars and just plain wierd versions of these cars built over the years. It'd be nice to have a single place to look at them, so if you've got knowledge of 'em post 'em up here. Pics are required, obviously, but if you could post up a link to the source/article it would be great. Let's get educated!

I'll start:

This beautiful 'Bird was created as a pace car concept for the 1984 PPG Indycar series. It was built off an 83 or 84 model but you can clearly see that it had some influence on the '87-'88 version - flush glass and no grille, for instance. Check out how the spoiler is built into the trunk - probably functional, given the pace car status. I absolutely love this car and would move mountains to own it if it still exists.

'Nother one:

Looks like nothing spectacular, right? You've all seen 83-84 Turbo Coupes with the FMS body kit, grille and spoiler. Thing is, according to Car and Driver magazine this is a spyshot of a 1987 Turbo Coupe prototype/developmental mule. It was powered by a twin-turbo 3.8 V6 producing 250 horsepower (remember, this was 1983, when Corvettes made do with fewer than 200 horses). The story goes that the FMS (and other aftermarket) body stuff was patterned off this very car. Pity that twin-turbo 3.8 never made production, but it was probably a branch in the development of the SC 3.8. Then again, given the 3.8's now known reliability problems maybe it's not such a pity...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
The Couguar

Built on a Mercury Cougar chassis and is powered by a Mercury 3.8 V-6. The hood, top front fenders and front fascia and grille are from a '67 Jaguar and the rest of the car is an '85 Mercury Cougar.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #2
no way look at how much the trunk slants and it has a chrome rear buper
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #3
The rear is Jag too, I just forgot to mention it.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #4
I see Carmen reads Car Craft. Nice Sig
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #5
Actually, I don't. Too Chevy oriented. But I had to buy it when I saw the thread that said K & B waere doing a T-Bird :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
That was my thread ;) And right now they have a Fireturd and a bad-ass Rambler :D

Reply #7
Carm....doesn't that PPG car also have gullwing doors? I remember something about that...could be another car...but one of the prototype/show cars did have gullwings.

Anyhow, here are my contributions:

This was an actual prototype NASCAR-style Cougar that buzzed Route 23 in Detroit back in the day.

Someone should be shot for this.

Some of you may remember this one...it was on Auto Trader for about 2 years. Never did find out if it sold; he was asking $10K US for it...with a V6 LOL. But he is (drum roll please) HITTIN' SWITCHES BABY!! WOOOOOOO!! GIT 'R' DUNNNNN!!!! PLAY SOME SKYNYRD MAN!!!!! :hick:

Reply #8
And let's not forget the Tiffany Cougar...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #9
id drive the  out of a tiffany!
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #10
id drive the  out of a tiffany!

There are not enough roads in the world to get all the  driven out of that monstrosity.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #11
Quote from: jkirchman;103802
There are not enough roads in the world to get all the  driven out of that monstrosity.

:iagree:

ideas like that shoube be bagged before they even get tagged
:pbb:

Reply #12
Quote from: jkirchman;103802

:iagree:

Things like that should be bagged before they even get tagged :pbb:

Reply #13
ever see a tiffany in person? Theyre actually neat.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
I'd pimp one... pimp being the operative word, of course :D

Eric: I dunno if that PPG has gullwing doors or not - that pic is the only one I have ever seen of it, and the magazine ad I scanned it from was pimping the PPG indycar series, not the car itself. They also did a pretty cool Fiero...