Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pump Swap (Read 2568 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Pump Swap

Hi Folks,

I am dropping my 1984 Cougar LS off at the shop. When I drive it the car randomly loses all power and then it is fine. This seems to be aggravated by bumpy roads and low fuel. I suspect this is fuel pump related. I already replaced the fuel filter and drained the gas but the problem persists.

So I am going to get the fuel pump changed. I'd like to replace the two pump system with a single pump in the tank. I also plan to move the fuel filter so I can set the car up for dual exhaust.

My first question is what pump should I get to replace the old two pump system and will just clamping a hose in place be enough to bypass the second pump?

Second, where should I relocate the fuel filter to?

This is a 5.0 CFI engine.

Thanks,
Gary

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #1
the 87+ 5.0L HO pump from Mark VII.  This will give you the pressure you need, more volume than you need, and when you're ready to make power and convert to SEFI, you'll already have it in place.

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #2
Foe,,,  what liter per hour is that?
I was going to suggest the supercharged V6 fuel pump which goes cut to fit right into our existing hangers.

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #3
I looked it up years ago, and I seem to remember Ford rated it in gallons per hour at somewhere around 50 gph, or around 180 or 190 lph.  I haven't looked it up in forever.

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #4
5.0 HO pump is 88 LPH
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #5
Quote from: V8Demon;453455
5.0 HO pump is 88 LPH

And the Super Coupe pump is 95Lph... That pump is probably no more than a HO pump havin' a good day...

OEM supplier Walbro makes same pumps, in 155, 190 & 255Lph... In the supercharged mod motor community the Ford GT pump is revered, dunno exact rating but my guess is it's at least a 155... My Marauder had two of them in the tank, connected by a Y...

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #8
871lph? Well over 400lph each... I wonder how many amps it pulls?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Fuel Pump Swap

Reply #9
I've got a 155lph Walbro pump in my Thunderbird with Edelbrock Performer heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Comp 266HR cam, and 30lb injectors. 155lph is the minimum I would run to make the swap worth it. According to Ford racing a 155lph pump flows 221lbs/hr, which is safe for 440 flywheel horsepower.

Factory HO 88lph pump is only good for about 250hp.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/download/tipspdf/properlyselectingeficomp.pdf
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.