Skip to main content
Topic: Car wont start unless pedal put to floor (Read 1314 times) previous topic - next topic

Car wont start unless pedal put to floor

Ok, so i wanted to install my temp and oil gauge so i took of the upper intake and throttle body. I did the gauges and put it all back together and you have to hold te gas pedal down al the way and try to get it to idle and then it revs high and comes back down to 1200rpm. i adjusted the idle screw and it just stays at 1200 when it should be like 800rpm. Everything is tight and the way it should be. I just dont understand. thanks
MODS: cone filter, no cat, flowmaster dumped, boost contoller, 4:10s

Reply #1
2.3?

That's very unusual. As annoyingly obvious as it may sound, check all of your connections, especially the throttle cable/linkage as well as the IAC and TPS connections.

Check the vacuum lines, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Sounds like maybe a vaspooge leak
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #3
i have no clue, but it also sounds like there is air in the fuel lines my dad said. i had the car run for over 30min and drove ti and it runs awesome. Then i shut it off and go to start and it wont start unless the pedal is put to the floor.

Reply #4
its a 2.3

Reply #5
Foot to the floor puts the ECM into "clear flood" mode. Does the car seem to run very rich when it first starts?

The high idle does sound like a vacuum leak, though it could be the ECM holding the idle high for a cold weather start. Where is the air temp sending unit on these cars (too lazy to go look at mine ;) )? I wonder if you knocked it loose.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #6
Likely a TPS problem, common to cause the high idle and can cause a no start condition... Checked it's voltage???

Scanned computer for codes??? (first thing you should have done) If you don't know how, it's time to learn...

Reply #7
Def sounds like a tps problem.

Reply #8
Do the turbo cars have MAP sensors? If so check to make sure its connected.

Reply #9
Quote from: quick50stng;284069
Do the turbo cars have MAP sensors? If so check to make sure its connected.

Nope the 2.3t's use them as a BAP sensor. Same electrical plug in but no vac line. Then yes it sounds like a TPS issue. You can't set the TPS until you get it started and the Idle set correctly. Try this. unhook the TPS and see if you can get it started. Then if it runs get it up to normal operating temp. Then unhook the Idle air control valve. Use the Idle screw to set base idle. Then hook up the IAC. Then check and reset your TPS. I tell you to set your TPS to .89vlts That is factory spec according to the Chilton manual. See how that works for you!

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #10
thanks guys. It was a sensor my mechanic said. I just brought the car to him since i just didnt want to deal with it. Im also going to seabout the tps anyways. thanks.

Reply #11
Which sensor? Inquiring minds want to know!

Glad you got it running! Nothing worse than a Turbo Coupe you cannot drive!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #12
If it cranks at WOT, methinks it ain't a bad TPS.  At WOT, or really, anything but idle position, the injectors should not fire when starting the car.  This is to provide a means of starting the car if it DOES flood.  If it cranks and runs at WOT, that's normally a leaking injector or fuel pressure regulator dumping raw fuel into the intake.  Holding it at WOT allows enough air to burn the leaking fuel.

Does it stink of fuel when no-start occurs?  Does it seem to be running rich after you get it started?  Does it respond to throttle after you get it cranked?  If so, I'd run a pressure test on the fuel rail and make sure the regulator's working right and injectors are not leaking down.  Key on a couple times to charge the rail with a fuel pressure gauge attached, and it should hold pressure for a minimum of 5 minutes or so, with very minimal drop.  If it drops to zero in less than three minutes, you've probably got a leaky regulator or fouled injector.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #13
it was the cooling temp sensor that caused all these problems. I put a new one in and runs great.