Skip to main content
Topic: 302 HO and 302 SO visual difference? (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

302 HO and 302 SO visual difference?

It seems like a stupid question for me but... at least im askin it.  Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a stock 87-88 tbird 302 efi and a mustang 302 HO?  reason im askin this is i found a tbird with a 302 in it... production date being 10/87 so an 88 model year.  Well there is no plate on the efi manifold and i dont know much bout 302's like i do bout 2.3's and 3.8's lol  So can anyone clue me in on the difference because it may be possible someone swapped a 302 HO into this tbird.  if so i may try and see if i can pick it up.  the guy wants 600 for that tbird without a title and the fox body mustang convertable.

Reply #1
Well the aluminum valve covers are a trademark sign, but those are easy to swap.  If the intake plaque is off look for H.O. cast into the area under the plaque.  All 5.0 HO's had factory headers not manifolds.  One other thing, if the entire motor was swapped in and the front brackets not changed they would be slightly different than the Tbird stuff.  Tbirds had a one piece ps/ac bracket.  Mustangs had a two piece, but the mark had the same one piece as the tbird, a Mark also had a alternator bracket sized for an 8" case alt not a 7" like the tbird and mustang.  So if it has the brackets that came with the supposedly swapped motor it will either have an 8" alternator or a two piece ps/ac bracket.
One 88

Reply #2
HO has a  firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)
of course the plug wires would need to be on the motor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
Quote from: daminc;231987
HO has a  firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)
of course the plug wires would need to be on the motor

That was going to be my suggestion as well... Also you can check to see if it has the wimpy 50mm Throttle Body, has a very noticeable step inside it... All but the '86 HO used the 1/2" reach spark plugs, all SO use 3/4" reach...

Quote from: the_intimidator03;231983
  the guy wants 600 for that tbird without a title and the fox body mustang convertable.

You mean trade a Mustang and $600 for a car with no title???? If so, I'd be telling him to stick it where the sun don't shine...

Reply #4
no no i mean he HAS a vert stang with no motor and the tbird which he was going to use the motor out of in that stang vert... he wants 600 for both cars lol  so look for the firing order 13726548  and look for the 2 peice ps/ac bracket and ill see if i can get there during daylight to get a better look under the hood for HO being cast under where the plate should be.  I appreciate it

Reply #5
Man I learn something new everyday.

Reply #6
Check out the fuel injectors.  On the HO motor, the 19lb injectors will be topped with orange.  On the SO motor they will be 16lb and they will be topped with gray.

Reply #7
Quote from: mustang_tbird;232262
Check out the fuel injectors.  On the HO motor, the 19lb injectors will be topped with orange.  On the SO motor they will be 16lb and they will be topped with gray.

you mean grey, 14lb'ers? ;)