Skip to main content
Topic: Convertible Conversion?? (Read 1656 times) previous topic - next topic

Convertible Conversion??

Hello all.  Id be interested in getting a convertible fox bird, but find them hard to find.  Anyone made a convertible out of theirs??

Thanks.
Russ

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #1
With unibodies, the frame is pretty flimsy.

There were fox body cougar convertibles. Only real difference after the top is chopped off would be grill and tsil lights.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #3
Yes, I am aware.  I am wondering if anyone has converted theirs to a convertible.

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #4
Quote from: atengnr;459467
Yes, I am aware.  I am wondering if anyone has converted theirs to a convertible.
Not me, for long term keeper(almost 20 years for mine), I wouldn't even want a hole in the roof..

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #5
Kind like asking if anyone has removed the frame from an f150 then driven it to the dump.

The roof is the frame on a unibody. Im sure if you added enough bracing you could drive it, but how would you know when its enough.

My experiance with unibody convertibles, watching door gaps increase on soeed bumps and doors not line up when parked on inclines, makes it really un appealing to me personally, and those were professional conversions.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #6
I suppose you haven't driven well designed convertibles (there's actually millions out there).  I pretty sure porsches turbo convertible is able to go up a driveway without flexing excessively.

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #7
Most Porsches werent deeigned in 1979 as an economy stripped down frame initially powered by a 80hp 2.3 either. Even then, a 1979 Porsche would be so far ahead of our cars.

Tons of high end convertibles (and newer cars in general) are so rigid compared to our cars it's ridiculous. Just wait until you jack up your car one day and you can't open the door, and that is as the car sits now, with a roof.

Ive seen entire front ends of Fox bodied cars come right off in angled front end impacts. The 80's was a very different time, and cars are built so much better now its not even funny.

I have ridden in a few fox mustang convertibles. They feel very loose and rattle tons. And yes, when going over speed bumps and dips, you can watch the door gaps increase.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #8
I think what you are going to find is that no one on this forum has cut up a hard top car and made a convertible out of it.  One is because it would be very expensive and we only have a couple guys that are master body shop dudes that could pull it off on the cheap so cosmetically it would look good.  The issue that has been brought up would be the chassis or lack there of as they were never designed for the added stresses of removing the roof line due to it being part of the "frame".  I think you could stiffen one up but you would literally end up building a frame to do this.  I think for 99% of the folks on this board this would be one very expensive build with very little cost justification.

If you decide to tackle this be sure to make a build thread as there would be a lot of interest to see how it would come out.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Convertible Conversion??

Reply #9
the frame under my vert is a 3x4 U....if I jack up the car anywhere...the top ends of the door jamb will open up so I can see through it.....it's just a big steel noodle of a car. still going to try to fix that problem
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook